• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oh dear god what have i done

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phenolite

I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, forgive me. I am panicking somewhat. here is the situation

Mobo: epox 8k7a
cpu: 1.4 tbird
ram 512mb pc2100 crucial
vid: gf3ti200

creative cdroms, maxtor hd's

So, i come home today, and i try to boot my pc...nothing happens...at all..silence

I unplug it from the wall, and take off the cover, and it boots, but monitor does not turn on. i unplug cdroms and slave hd, try again. this time, the bios LED flashes from something and FF, the HD light is on all the while. third and final time, i try and it is stuck on 10...and i think i smell something...a burning smell. it just didn't smell good in my pc case...:(. I am going to try and reseat somethings.

Background info: pc has run flawlessly for about 1yr, before that, i replaced ram from crucial. system is just over 1.5yrs old. also, i accidentally chipped a blade off a fan that cools the chipset on the board. i did not replace the fan, as there are many blades on it.

one more thing, it was hot in my room yesterday, and my pc was on all day, and off all day today...

any more info, please ask. Thanks so much everyone, i greatly appreciate any and all help

UPDATE: i unplugged all IDE drives...and as the mobo LED flashes from ?? to FF (does it fast), the power LED on front seems to dim...like a brown-out type thing...didn't smell any burning this time, however.

reseated vidcard, same result as above...also removed all PCI cards

well, checking cpu is hella expensive, gonna just get new cpu and mobo today

prolly getting:

Abit KD7
Athlon 2000+ (glock insists i get the 1700+ 319)

I want a retail processor..i know it doesn't matter in the end, but...i have bad luck w/hardware, so i want all the warranty i can get :p

thanx a ton, again!

The burning smell could very well point to a bad power supply. Be careful with that new CPU and mobo.

I agree with dek. Check out that power supply before you connect it to the new mobo. It will save you some money and frustration.

The best way I can think of would be to put the old CPU back in and fire up the system. Use a voltmeter to check the yellow and the red leads. Yellow = 12v, red = 5v.

The debug led should cycle through those codes before going to FF (which means it's all okay, at least it means that on my 8RDA+ so I assume it's the same for your model)

Back