• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh no another gaming rig shopping list thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OC'ers,

I know these threads popping up probably gets old but I like input and am looking for some advice. Feeling like my current rig has served its purpose and plan to sell it while it's still current in its state. A few of the requirements for my new build are:

1. Must be no larger than mid tower form factor, wouldn't mind even having mini/micro if I can get input if the following parts will fit and in what (or what replacements would fit).

2. Must be purchased solely through newegg.

3. GPU selection must include copy of Watchdogs as I plan to be playing it and savings count since my options to save are limited.

4. Will be running single 1080p display (mostly because 1440p to 4k isn't in the budget) for gaming and maybe another display but just as extra screen space for chat/web/etc.

5. Color scheme help. I feel like this is always the hard part but I've seen so many amazing builds on the forums that just look like it all belongs together. Preferably I want a variation of black blue and white across all components and the chassis/lighting. Also I'm curious what types of materials are safe to use within the case in order to easily change to color, visual texture of and hide other areas.

Aside from these requirements I dont typically have a preference to manufacturer, haven't written anyone off yet ;)

As far as the parts go I've considered the following:

Intel Core i5-4670k
Noctua NH-D14
EVGA GTX 770 4GB with acx cooler
16gb dual channel 1600 Mhz Patriot Viper 3 Low profile memory
Asus Z97-a motherboard (bundled with 120GB Samsung EVO 120 GB SSD)
Corsair CX750M modular psu
Any generic $15 dvd burner
[Reusing] 3 TB seagate barracuda

I've always had my eyes on the corsair carbide 500r (or similar variation) for mid tower solution or bitfenix prodigy for mini/micro route (although I know that they tend to be cramped and take a bit of patience)

A couple of questions I have:

Does anyone know if there are actual products coming out with a different color scheme for the noctua coolers? I read somewhere that they had plans to release a more neutral colored fan but haven't seen much more information about it and I really hate their color choices but can't deny their good reviews.

Is low profile memory necessary with this cooler? I know that with my Hyper 212, one fan is seated higher than I wanted so I could clear the first ram module.

If I did plan to SLI in the future, is 750w cutting it close/not enough to handle the load given the parts list?

Is the difference between i5 and i7 still negligible when it comes to gaming? Also do the 130w i7s offer much of an edge over 84w ones?

On the asus motherboard, does anyone know if the that color is more of a bronze or gold?

Memory for that cooler - check at noctua website

750w for sli 770s and a 4670k is fine for a quality psu.

In most titles there is no difference between a quad and quad with ht correct. 130w? You must be talking a hex core on a different platform...See previous sentence.

Color is as the pictures show, way more gold than yellow.

I would get a z97 based board. At least with it, you can drop in broadwell come 2015 if you choose.

Memory for that cooler - check at noctua website

750w for sli 770s and a 4670k is fine for a quality psu.

In most titles there is no difference between a quad and quad with ht correct. 130w? You must be talking a hex core on a different platform...See previous sentence.

Color is as the pictures show, way more gold than yellow.

I would get a z97 based board. At least with it, you can drop in broadwell come 2015 if you choose.

Ooops sorry didn't realize those 130w cpus that showed up in my filtered search were actually 2011 socket. Also thanks for all the input ED, always a pleasure to see your name popping up.

Hey OC'ers,

Is the difference between i5 and i7 still negligible when it comes to gaming? Also do the 130w i7s offer much of an edge over 84w ones?

No. Actually, the 4820K is an inferior quad core to the 4770K because it is Ivybridge based. The decent 6 core Ivybridge-E CPUs like the 4930K are better if you can use all six cores, but games that are out currently can't, making them a waste of money. All you need for games that are out today is a 4670K.

No. Actually, the 4820K is an inferior quad core to the 4770K because it is Ivybridge based. The decent 6 core Ivybridge-E CPUs like the 4930K are better if you can use all six cores, but games that are out currently can't, making them a waste of money. All you need for games that are out today is a 4670K.

I figured as much, thanks for the input and the information about the other quad cores :)

Hoping to make a decision about this on monday depending on what sales are going on.

Intel Core i5-4670k
Noctua NH-D14
EVGA GTX 770 4GB with acx cooler
16gb dual channel 1600 Mhz Patriot Viper 3 Low profile memory
Asus Z97-a motherboard (bundled with 120GB Samsung EVO 120 GB SSD)
Corsair CX750M modular psu
Any generic $15 dvd burner
[Reusing] 3 TB seagate barracuda

Looks pretty good, you shouldn't have any issues with what you mentioned.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qd2H
This would be my recommendation though.

The UD3H is (in my opinion) a better board for $145 than the Z97A.
No need for 16GB of RAM for a gaming machine.

If you want to do all this in an mITX form factor, that would be very possible.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qdam
The only thing that you forego here is the SLI capability, and you'd need a slot-load DVD drive.
That said, do you honestly need either of those?

The only thing that you forego here is the SLI capability, and you'd need a slot-load DVD drive.

I whole-heartedly endorse that build. I wish I had build ITX when I build my computer, and I feel that ITX is the future of desktop computing.

ITX cases are tiny, cute, and don't have to be short on power. All you're giving up with an ITX case is multiple graphics card and expansion card capability. 99% of people just buy an ATX or EATX board and pop 1 GPU in it and they're done. All that extra motherboard real estate is wasted.

Modern ITX boards pack in everything an ATX board does, minus the extra expansion slots. And modern ATX cases can fit even top range graphic cards into their diminuitive chassis.

For example, with the EVGA Hadron air, you would have to use a slim profile slot loading optical drive (or forego an optical drive altogether), and you could fit up to a reference GTX 780 in there as well as some pretty significant cooling. You can move up the motherboard to a Maximus VI impact, which has the VRM section that supports serious overclocking. However, this is a Z87 board, and you won't be able to drop broadwell into it when it comes out.

If you want even more overclocking capability, a standard ATX powersupply, and a standard size DVD drive, move up to the Corsair 250D. It's bigger than the Hadron but it fit's a lot more goodies too. You can fit some serious cooling in that case.

Itx systems are portable too. Moving? Pick it up under one arm and take it with you. Lan party? No problem. Want to take it on vacation? No problem (Especially with the Hadron).

Only go full size ATX if you plan on having lots of cards (ie, 2 GPUs, 1 soundcard 1 wifi card). Most people have no use even for dual GPUs, as it is typically more sensible to buy one high end card than two mid range cards anyways.

Come to the dark side and mini-size your next computer. :shock:

Looks pretty good, you shouldn't have any issues with what you mentioned.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Qd2H
This would be my recommendation though.

The UD3H is (in my opinion) a better board for $145 than the Z97A.
No need for 16GB of RAM for a gaming machine.

Thanks for all the effort ATM, greatly appreciate the lists. What are your thoughts of this evga hadron case (and the quality of their 500w psu) versus bitfenix's prodigy case? Also if I do go the itx route do you still think 8 gigs is the ideal choice, given the limited ram slots? I hope to be able to do a good deal of streaming on twitch so there will be a bit going on at the same time during said gaming. Also i'll look into the gigabyte boards, I do recall reading something about Asus' quality of service, might have even been you that posted it but I can't recall.

/edit

Also it looks as though this evga mitx cpu cooler is unavailable sadly.

Last edited:
I whole-heartedly endorse that build. I wish I had build ITX when I build my computer, and I feel that ITX is the future of desktop computing.

ITX cases are tiny, cute, and don't have to be short on power. All you're giving up with an ITX case is multiple graphics card and expansion card capability. 99% of people just buy an ATX or EATX board and pop 1 GPU in it and they're done. All that extra motherboard real estate is wasted.

Modern ITX boards pack in everything an ATX board does, minus the extra expansion slots. And modern ATX cases can fit even top range graphic cards into their diminuitive chassis.

For example, with the EVGA Hadron air, you would have to use a slim profile slot loading optical drive (or forego an optical drive altogether), and you could fit up to a reference GTX 780 in there as well as some pretty significant cooling. You can move up the motherboard to a Maximus VI impact, which has the VRM section that supports serious overclocking. However, this is a Z87 board, and you won't be able to drop broadwell into it when it comes out.

If you want even more overclocking capability, a standard ATX powersupply, and a standard size DVD drive, move up to the Corsair 250D. It's bigger than the Hadron but it fit's a lot more goodies too. You can fit some serious cooling in that case.

Itx systems are portable too. Moving? Pick it up under one arm and take it with you. Lan party? No problem. Want to take it on vacation? No problem (Especially with the Hadron).

Only go full size ATX if you plan on having lots of cards (ie, 2 GPUs, 1 soundcard 1 wifi card). Most people have no use even for dual GPUs, as it is typically more sensible to buy one high end card than two mid range cards anyways.

Come to the dark side and mini-size your next computer. :shock:

Seems like all really great valid points. This NZXT switch 810, however nice it is, could double as a desk and forget moving it anywhere :p

Thanks for all the effort ATM, greatly appreciate the lists. What are your thoughts of this evga hadron case (and the quality of their 500w psu) versus bitfenix's prodigy case? Also if I do go the itx route do you still think 8 gigs is the ideal choice, given the limited ram slots? I hope to be able to do a good deal of streaming on twitch so there will be a bit going on at the same time during said gaming. Also i'll look into the gigabyte boards, I do recall reading something about Asus' quality of service, might have even been you that posted it but I can't recall.

/edit

Also it looks as though this evga mitx cpu cooler is unavailable sadly.

You're welcome :)

The Hadron case goes above and beyond what I'd expect from a computer case.
Build quality is phenomenal, the included PSU is great, and the amount of power you can stuff in is unreal.
As far as ITX is concerned, for the space, money, and build quality, you'd be silly in the head to consider something else (unless you are looking for a different design of case)

Unless you're getting into video editing, 3D CAD, or VMs you honestly don't need more than 8GB of RAM.

Yeah, Asus has RMA issues. Big time.
I haven't posted any, but there are threads on every forum I visit about them.

You can run on the stock cooler and replace it with the EVGA mITX cooler when it comes into stock, or look for another lower profile cooler.
That's just the one I happened to pick.

You're welcome :)

The Hadron case goes above and beyond what I'd expect from a computer case.
Build quality is phenomenal, the included PSU is great, and the amount of power you can stuff in is unreal.
As far as ITX is concerned, for the space, money, and build quality, you'd be silly in the head to consider something else (unless you are looking for a different design of case)

Unless you're getting into video editing, 3D CAD, or VMs you honestly don't need more than 8GB of RAM.

Yeah, Asus has RMA issues. Big time.
I haven't posted any, but there are threads on every forum I visit about them.

You can run on the stock cooler and replace it with the EVGA mITX cooler when it comes into stock, or look for another lower profile cooler.
That's just the one I happened to pick.

Awesome, sounds like a great choice then! I did happen to find the mitx cooler is in stock at amazon and I do have a gift card balance with them so that might be an option as I would like to avoid stock cooler and nothing from the article I found on toms low profile coolers jumped out at me. Right now the list looking good to me and price wise its about where I want to be at the $1200 mark (including the amazon purchase for the cooler).

I do find myself laughing at bit as I've never shelled out so much for a GPU although I'm excited for this one and the savings from the game helps offset the price.

Again thanks to you ATMinside, ocnoob and also ED for the loads of input.

Im glad Im not the only one who calls Earth Dog ED. He he. So you're going ITX then? Good choice. If you don't feel comfortable with a slot loading dvd drive remember that you can buy a cheap external model and pull it out as needed for program installs and such. Optical is so barely used these days that it's almost stupid to include it in your build.

Im glad Im not the only one who calls Earth Dog ED. He he. So you're going ITX then? Good choice. If you don't feel comfortable with a slot loading dvd drive remember that you can buy a cheap external model and pull it out as needed for program installs and such. Optical is so barely used these days that it's almost stupid to include it in your build.

Most likely will go the route of ITX. You guys made a lot of great points and since I dont really plan to SLI with this card and I don't think I've ever used a secondary pci card for anything be it sound, wireless, etc. I also dont use a lot of drives in my rig as well, mostly boot drive + 1 storage drive anyways. I found a slim dvd drive on sale for around $19 on the egg so that is in my cart as well.

My last question is about cable management. I don't have experience in the way of custom cables but I would however like to considering the difference it will make in a case of this size. Are there any reliable web sources that go into how to go about doing this? I know that this is a fairly big undertaking going in fresh but definitely not something I would rush into or do until I know that the system is running properly beforehand to remove variables such as that.

Noctua U9B SE2 will fit just fine in the Hadron. Though the plastic on that case throws me off after seeing it in person compared to my allumiunium Ncase M1..

That said, it's still a nice little case and will work well here. Just stick to low profile memory. Makes it easier. Corsair LP vengeance or G Skill Ares come to mind here.

I'd forgo the optical drive too. Just grab a usb external DVD drive. Two less cables you need to worry about. And you'll almost never use it anyway...

Noctua U9B SE2 will fit just fine in the Hadron. Though the plastic on that case throws me off after seeing it in person compared to my allumiunium Ncase M1..

That said, it's still a nice little case and will work well here. Just stick to low profile memory. Makes it easier. Corsair LP vengeance or G Skill Ares come to mind here.

I'd forgo the optical drive too. Just grab a usb external DVD drive. Two less cables you need to worry about. And you'll almost never use it anyway...

Good to know about the cooler fitting and thats a pretty valid point as well about the unnecessary wiring. I think i've actually used a cd rom twice in the past 6 months. Thank you mjolnir!

Most likely will go the route of ITX. You guys made a lot of great points and since I dont really plan to SLI with this card and I don't think I've ever used a secondary pci card for anything be it sound, wireless, etc. I also dont use a lot of drives in my rig as well, mostly boot drive + 1 storage drive anyways. I found a slim dvd drive on sale for around $19 on the egg so that is in my cart as well.

My last question is about cable management. I don't have experience in the way of custom cables but I would however like to considering the difference it will make in a case of this size. Are there any reliable web sources that go into how to go about doing this? I know that this is a fairly big undertaking going in fresh but definitely not something I would rush into or do until I know that the system is running properly beforehand to remove variables such as that.

If you buy the Hadron, they've already designed the PSU cables with the case's size in mind, so cable management shouldn't be an issue. Also, with no extra GPUs or lots of drives, you only get the cables you NEED with the Hadron.

With the 250D, on the other hand, you get lots of extra space for nice custom cabling jobs.

My vote is still with the Hadron. It's adorable, it's compact, it's got a case window, it has a gold rated PSU. Lots of good things to say about it.

If you buy the Hadron, they've already designed the PSU cables with the case's size in mind, so cable management shouldn't be an issue. Also, with no extra GPUs or lots of drives, you only get the cables you NEED with the Hadron.

With the 250D, on the other hand, you get lots of extra space for nice custom cabling jobs.

My vote is still with the Hadron. It's adorable, it's compact, it's got a case window, it has a gold rated PSU. Lots of good things to say about it.

Thats good to know, makes sense as well all things considered.

Since you're already on the path to liking the Hadron, I'll throw this out there.

I just built a system in the Hadron Air. Its in my sig, haven't gotten pictures of it yet but I've been using it a while.
You couldn't ask for anything more from a case designed to be small.

Speaking of size, its literally a cute/adorable size. 12"x12"x6" and it has a 10.5" GPU in it!
The two included 120mm fans are silent, as well as the PSU fan.

Actually, I think I'll go get pictures now while I have some time!

Also worth noting: the Z97N-WIFI has both dual-band wifi b/g/n/ac and bluetooth 4.0 built in. So you don't need an extra PCI/PCIe slot for those :)

Since you're already on the path to liking the Hadron, I'll throw this out there.

I just built a system in the Hadron Air. Its in my sig, haven't gotten pictures of it yet but I've been using it a while.
You couldn't ask for anything more from a case designed to be small.

Speaking of size, its literally a cute/adorable size. 12"x12"x6" and it has a 10.5" GPU in it!
The two included 120mm fans are silent, as well as the PSU fan.

Actually, I think I'll go get pictures now while I have some time!

Also worth noting: the Z97N-WIFI has both dual-band wifi b/g/n/ac and bluetooth 4.0 built in. So you don't need an extra PCI/PCIe slot for those :)

Its always good to hear feedback/see builds about products from people who have personal experience with them, much more reassuring :) I did happen to notice that. Ironically enough it took my a while to realize what it was next to the dvi until I watched the video with paul talking to gigabyte :rofl:

Back