• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok guys i wanna kno if i can enable ports 6881-6999.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueplaya4ever8

there is program that i wanna run that needs those ports and i took a port check and it said 90% or more were closed. bare with me see if you can help me out. ahh dont know what you guys would need to help, but i am running windows firewall just the one u can enable in network connections on sprint dsl.
thanks

I think you are only able to open ports one at a time.
I think bittorent will start at port 6881 and go up depeding on how many downloads you have. So you will probably only need to open 6881-6890. Also open 6969 b/c I have heard that is an important port for some reason.

The latest bittorrent clients (other then the orgional) only require 6881/tcp to be forwarded now. Check the documentation on your client to see what they recommend

I find that if you specify a non-standard recieving port (not 6881-6889) then you get a much faster downstream because many ISPs filter or delay bittorrent traffic to prevent it choking the network. Forwarding also helps performance because you aren't looking at each packet to decide if it should be dropped or not.

L337 M33P said:
I find that if you specify a non-standard recieving port (not 6881-6889) then you get a much faster downstream because many ISPs filter or delay bittorrent traffic to prevent it choking the network. Forwarding also helps performance because you aren't looking at each packet to decide if it should be dropped or not.

i am not to good with this networking and internet stuff, what do it mean? how do i forward?

Back