• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK i need youre help eople why doesnt this thing work on this setting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
residentevil2 said:
guess were getting outa subject here

<------- soppose to help me :D

ok im on stock speeds 1.72vcore wont work.

i cleaned the whole cpu cleaned the pits out all of them with a little tiny thumb tab pin. then i cleaned the cpu with a tooth brush and a little water. then used and erraser to clean the burn marks from the laser cutting the bridges.

Turnd the computer on put on 1.80vcore went into windows xp. WOW it was a little slow tho but 5 min later it locked up and i couldnt get in cept by using 1.70vcore or less. so somethings wrong with the cpu i just dont know what.

How could cleaning the cpu like that alow me to get in win xp for while

too true, sorry, i will remove my post once the flame goes away.

for your problem though, how do you *KNOW* its the cpu? have you tested a different cpu in there? that might be a good idea before you work at getting a replacement for that one.

residentevil2 said:
yesi tried my 1.2 duron and the xp 2000+

sorry i didnt catch this in your first post:
My 2000+ worked fine in 1.90 vcore only when i go to 2v it does the same thing that the 2400+ does in 1.72v.

so the problem(s) are not entirely localized on the new cpu. perhaps something else is the problem? (motherboard?)

oh... um.... btw, the default max voltage for that board is 1.85 correct? so you either disabled the voltage limiter option or you did a volt mod..... maybe that is the problem?

are you completely locked again? if not, then give it another cleaning to make sure your unlocking isn't causing the problems

play with the fsb as much as u can on default settings (clean that cpu!)... the boys over at hard ocp said they played with the fsb and managed to get the same overclocks as with lower multiplyers. according to them with there slk-800 and vantec tornado they managed to get it to 2.5 without unlocking the chip thats 15x166 respectively try that out

disabling the voltag limiter u mean the jumper that stops wild voltage from going through the computer or do you mean going into the bios and turning of the voltage moniter ?

looks like you have it the wall

dear

I went to www.amd.com and looked at the docs
XP Model 8 specifications

Table 2. Electrical and Thermal Specifications for Processors with a CPUID of 681
Frequency in MHz
(Model Number)
VCC_CORE
(Core
Voltage)
ICC (Processor Current)
Thermal Power5 Maximum Die
Temperature Working State C0 Stop Grant S11, 2, 3, 4
Maximum Typical Maximum Typical Maximum Typical
1667 (2000+) 1.60 V 38.3 A 34.8 A 8.1 A 4.9 A 61.3 W 55.7 W 90°C
1800 (2200+) 1.60 V 39.3 A 35.6 A 8.1 A 4.9 A 62.8 W 57.0 W
85°C
2000 (2400+) 1.60 V 40.8 A 37.1 A 8.1 A 4.9 A 65.3 W 59.3 W
1.65 V 41.4 A 37.6 A 8.9 A 5.4 A 68.3 W 62.0 W
2133 (2600+) 1.65 V 41.4 A 37.6 A 8.9 A 5.4 A 68.3 W 62.0 W

this mean that the higher end XP are rated for running at voltage 1.65V max. This value is not arbitrary and fixed by AMD to limit our ability to overclock. It is the average value for which the CPU is garanteed to work. It is slightly more that what some CPU may need (thus you can undervolt some), but not by much as excessive voltage cause heat and electro-migration.
this max voltage is linked to the design (.13 micron ??), material (silicon with copper interconnect) and processes used

Please bear in mind that all CPU of the same batch do not have the same capabilities. Something that can work for someone, can fail for you

It seems that you have a so-so CPU, which does not take more .

There is not much thing you can do, Sorry, except eprhaps attempt burn-in : continous operation for 1 week at you max voltage with a CPU excerising program (seti would be OK,)

Wow now thats the best explanation i have heard all day thanks alot :D.

Youre right i think i do have a so-so cpu that only works on what it was ment to and that makes me mad.

I guess ill just rma it make a up a story get the other cpu and hope that that one wont be like this cpu .

I read one of the other post (yours ?) regarding Amperage.

Those babies really like power.
If you look into the table, the max amp is the second figure,
then consider how much more amp is need for each increase in speed.
My own computation sin my head tell me +/- 1 amp per 100 Mhz (for those CPU at that speed),
this would mean to move you 2400+ (real MHZ 2000) to real 2200 MAY require max amp41.4 + 2 = 43.4.

But this power is not from the 5V, it is converted by the power regulator from the 12V
check page 13 of http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26003.pdf

Model 6 AMD Athlon XP1800+ (1.533GHZ, 1.75V) draws 6.87 A of 12V for a total of 82.47 W

2. To calculate the processor current at 12V VRM source:
I= (Processor Core Voltage x Processor Core Current ) x12 x1.25

this mean that your model 8 AMD XP2400+ (2000MHZ,1.65V) draws 7.11 A of 12V for a total of 85 W

worst case : both Amp and voltage increase needed, i'll extrapolate that
your model 8 AMD XP2400+ (2200MHZ,1.72V, 43.4 A) draws 7.77 A of 12V for a total of 100 W

before RMA the poor CPU, i'll check the numers on the Powersupply.
if you push

It seems that there are 2 different XP 2400+ :
one at 1.65V, one at 1.6V.

my guess: the one with 1.6V is the latest stepping

could you confirm the default voltage of your CPU ?

+ 1 additionnal question :
when you report setting 1.72V, is it the value set in the bios or the one reported by the HW monitor / MBM

the one in the bios hw reports 1.75 but bios is set to 1.72

hrmm myn does 1.65v stock voltage but my stepping is newer than the reveiwing cpu's wich have

AIUAB

Myn is

AIUCB

ahh so isee this could be due to my psu right ?

Youre saying that on 2200mhz 1.72v is 43.4amp (+5vline) and uses 7.77 amps on my 12v line.

when my psu only puts of 40amp +5 and 16 amp 12v.

This means that i need a pus that either puts of more amps on the +5 line or the 12v line or do i need both.

So my problem sounds psu related ??? whats 2000 mhz and 1.72v why doesnt that work .

Also i tried 14x133=1862mhz and 1.72 v still didnt work

investiagtion continuing

I think that my earlier indication still sticks :
you got a so-so CPU of one of the earliest batch, which historically never perform as well as later one.

BUT, As I was intrigued by the notion entertained elsewhere about 5V rail, I decided to check the data. thus I went to AMD and did the computation.

please check the total budget equation in the AMD doc
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26003.pdf

You'll see the max current at each voltage level for a typical system
M/B .3
system fan ..25
processor fan .25
IDE HD 2
CD R/W .8 total for device 3.6 ,
but apply correction factor of 80% as per AMD recommendation, total current 2.88 A on the 12V
plus the 7.7 A for the CPU at 2200Mhz 1.72V
this mean the total load is 10.65 A on the 12V line

Which your PS should be able to supply.

BUT you may have lot more fan and HD,
and your previous attempts at overvolting your other cpu were thwarted for similar reason.

Hmm, I'll redo the computation for your previous CPU
XP 2000+ (1667MHZ, 1.6V, 38.3A)
already 38.3A at 1.9V would draw 7.58 A
at 2V would draw 7.97 A

Please tell me which speeds you attained with both your old CPU and you old, and which other peripheral uyou have in your system,
because we can't eliminate YET your PS from capping your attempts.

I

ok this is what i have hooked up now.

My 9700 pro radeon

My maxtor ata 133 7200 40 gb drive

Cdrom, DvD, Floppy

2x256pc 2700

2 small fans not sure how big but the size of a north bridge on the mobo.

The psu has 2 fans plugged up

Asound fast ethernet card and thats it.

Now my xp 2000+ i got to 2ghz using 2.14v

My 2400+ i can only get 2150mhz stable but using windows 98 since it actually boots up but has errors i can get 2350 mhz on 2v.
But like it is it isnt stable on 1.70v or more

as a side note, I remember from reading on the net (probably on www.overclockers.com) that someone solved some of his problem with power supply and amperage by getting rid of the plug to connect the CPU to the M/B, because contact isn't always perfect and those plugs just not good enough for large amperage. (this is why Intel changed the layout of the plugs for P4 system

LOOK here go down the page a bit and youll see a pic of the guys cpu.

This is exsacly what i have the same numbers same stepping same 0239 same everything.

and his works fine on 1.70 and higher even 2 v.

So it might be my psu or it might be the cpu but ithink its the cpu.

Cuss i wen to 13x133=1730 mhz and tried 1.75vcore it wouldnt work.

I think the cpu is flakey or something what do you think ?

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127604

Back