• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK i need youre help eople why doesnt this thing work on this setting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is your water cooling setup (in your sig) powered by your PSU or separate? I assume your 3.3V and 5V readings are stable at all times?

yes they are and no its not my pump is a ehiem 1048 wich pluggs into the wall.

So you saw the pic right that cpu all those numbers are the exsact same as myn AIUCB stepping everything from 0239 all the same .

So my cpu isnt a bad stepping i just prob got a flakey cpu and need to rma it but first im waiting for the other guy to repost

Clutching at straws now but is there any way that your mobo might be adversely affected by having 2.14V put through the CPU (your old XP2000+)?
As I have said before stepping is only an indication of whether it will overclock well - there are no guarantees - I dont think you should give up just now on this one!

why not give up iv tried everything for 2 days straight and im getting tiredo f it .

Btw i put my xp 2000+ back 2 v ran fine 1.85v ran ine its this damn cpu

I may be walking on a limb farr ouuut there, but let's see

residentevil2 said:
ok this is what i have hooked up now.

>9700 pro radeon :
doesn't use 12V

>maxtor ata 133 7200 40 gb drive
WWW. mwaxtor.com gives max 434 mA for 12V for seek operation for Diamonf max plus 8 model

>Cdrom, DvD,
Amd says .8 A for each

>Floppy
>2x256pc 2700

>2 small fans not sure how big but the size of a north bridge on the mobo.
typical fans draw .24 A

>The psu has 2 fans plugged up
should not count

after factoring in 7.5 we are still below 12A

>Now my xp 2000+ i got to 2ghz using 2.14v
XP200+ is 1667Mhz, 1.6V, 38.3 A
I guess XP2000+ at 2000Mhz at 2.14V, 41.3 A (because of my assumption of 1A per 100Mhz) would draw
2.14 * 41.3 / 12 * 1.25 = 9.2 A

So if you manage to run stable your 2000+ at 2000MHZ with 2.14V, it is not the max amperage on the 12V line of your PS which is preventing you from pushing your 2400+ further.
So no need to go and buy another PS, it won't help.

You may nonetheless plug you CPU into another MB with another PS to double check (and be ready to cry)

> My 2400+ i can only get 2150mhz stable but using windows 98 since it actually boots up but has errors i can get 2350 mhz on 2v.
But like it is it isnt stable on 1.70v or more

Again, pushing more voltage than planned into a CPU helps overclocking because it makes the signal stronger, so easier to detect over the noise. H

Your own experience with one of those early CPU just tells you that however strong the voltage you throw, there is enough electrical noise because of the speed to cause random error, which crash your system.

Please remember the Pentium III 1.3Ghz fiasco, (Yes, that was one of the last interesting piece from THG). A CPU which is pushed beyond the process capability will fail if excercised in a certain fashion.

I hoped to have help you understand the complex issues of which I have only a partial understanding myself.

In case the serie of posts were not clear,

my original thought was :
early batch, so-so chip => too bad for the guy , try to RMA it

then I read a post about the 5V rail, which is incorrect
so I looked up the references
found data on the 12V load for the exact CPU, and in the end, almost eliminated the P/S from being the limiting factor.

my conclusion is still
early batch, so-so chip (unable to accept +10% Voltage) => too bad for you, try to RMA it

Back