• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK not to use back mounting bracket? (V8)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Csharp

Registered
I just installed the Cooler Master V8 and I did not use the back bracket, I simply couldn't get the screw tip to push in far enough... so I mounted the bolts without it. It booted fine and temps are fine, is this ok to do in the long run or should I remount it?

If the heatsink came with the backplate, they probably included it for a reason. Without it, the board will bend with the tension of the bolts and the weight of the heatsink. This could cause issues in the future. I would suggest putting it on.

If you are having issues with the backplate, take the motherboard out of the case and work on a desk. I've found this helps substantially as I can twist the motherboard around.

I was trying to avoid removing the motherboard from the case, which is probably why the screw tips didn't go all the way through.. it was difficult holding the heatsink in place while trying to put in the back plate on. I guess I'm going to have to do it properly.

Back