• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OLD good gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blingo

So I have an pretty old pc just laying around
it has a amd athlon x2 4200+

was wondering what is the best old GPU I can put in it without having to do things like buy a new power supple etc?
My main PC has a radeon 7970 , so nothing close to that.
Just a simple old single unit GPU . Just gonna turn the pc into a retro gaming machine .

So I have an pretty old pc just laying around
it has a amd athlon x2 4200+

was wondering what is the best old GPU I can put in it without having to do things like buy a new power supple etc?
My main PC has a radeon 7970 , so nothing close to that.
Just a simple old single unit GPU . Just gonna turn the pc into a retro gaming machine .

What OS are you running and what PSU do you have?
For a "retro" feeling you need agp or the earliest pci-e. This combines a easier down clock and Os support if needed ofc.

Last edited:
What OS are you running and what PSU do you have?
For a "retro" feeling you need agp or the earliest pci-e. This combines a easier down clock and Os support if needed ofc.

The psu came with the pc I will see if I can figure out what it is but im sure its something basic.
but I installled windows 7 on it recently, it had Vista before. Only had 1 gb ddr2 ram I upgraded to 4gb ddr2.
no AGP but does have PCI-e x16 and PCI-e x1

I wouldn't run anything thing bigger than a GTX460 or the AMD equivalent on that system. I don't call that retro either though.

I think somthing like a 8800gt would be pretty close to that timeframe .(8800gts 320 mb might have been closer) but you should be able to find a 8800gt pretty cheep and they are not bad . would play cs go and such .

But you should really put your 7970 in it and get your self a new toy =)

I think somthing like a 8800gt would be pretty close to that timeframe .(8800gts 320 mb might have been closer) but you should be able to find a 8800gt pretty cheep and they are not bad . would play cs go and such .

But you should really put your 7970 in it and get your self a new toy =)

Man i dont even think my 7970 would fit in that old PC lol.
But yeah i really do want a new toy just don't know which one is best
I was looking at some new amd today it goes like 1000 bucks or so I believe.

Man i dont even think my 7970 would fit in that old PC lol.
But yeah i really do want a new toy just don't know which one is best
I was looking at some new amd today it goes like 1000 bucks or so I believe.

If you are talking Vega , Even the 480/580 would be 2-3x faster in most games .
I would look used for a 980ti .

The 8800 series were prone to overheating alot. The Radeon r600 of better the hd2000 series would be a nice fit, period correctness for the retro feeling.

Yes those seem good, not really pricey and i can run retros with no issues with nice shaders and stuff lol.

Now I have to make a post about me finding a stronger GPU for my main pc. I put overwatch on epic settings last night. Epic is like max settings I didn't get a solid 60 I got like 50 -55 during action. Broke my heart.

Back