• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old water blocks on modern processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My maze4 really needs to be dremeled. It hits the caps around the cpu socket. I ended up loosening the mounting rods so that I could shift the WB just enough to clear those caps. Not a perfect mount for sure, but it's working in a pinch.

I'm going to see if my 6002 will fit on my LGA775... supposedly it has to be a stepped base, I don't if thats true. But I'm going to find out.

On the P5K premium I have, I don't see how a stepped base would make any difference, I could mount it in any orientation. There's just nothing that needs to be cleared with a stepped base. Nothing on the socket sticks up higher than the processor heat spreader.

I just checked Swiftech's page on the 6002, and they say that they shipped two versions. Flat base for all Intel and K8 CPUs, and a stepped base for K7s.

I'm up to 3.7GHz now and that's about all it can do unless I figure out some other bios tweaks to get me higher. Temps are getting to 70C and I'm pumping 1.488 Vcore through it.

SHWEET!!! Your are right!! There is no clearance needed around the socket, The CPU's IHS is the highest point! This means its time to find my sheet of neoprene and start cutting a backplate...

WELL.... I've got my 6002 mounted now, and I am getting 39C tops on my q6600 at stock. And, this is with my fans at the lowest speed they will go(like 855rpm for 120mm fans) and the newest p95 with 4 threads. Not bad :) These are better temps than with my old cpu...

Nice!

My 6002 does not have the step (ordered for a P4 system that is no longer here).
However the DFI socket is low enough profile that even my Nekid Mobile Clawhammer has no issues.
I have however found it's much easier to wrap some 80 grit sandpaper around a flat ended pop sickle stick and sand the embossed lettering off of the cambox to make it fit, rather than to try hand-machining the block...all you need is enough clearance to slip a piece of printer paper between them.

It's been a long night, but here were are at 3.4GHz. Took forever to get the WC loop installed as there always seem to be unforseen problems.

Anyway, I jumped straight to 3.4GHz with the Vcore on auto.

Tomorrow I'll see how far I can push this chip.

Room temp is 72F/22C

Seeing the large differences between the cores it might be worthwile to lap the CPU IHS; I've read several topics in various forums where it leveled out temperatures between the cores significantly. Obviously many of those IHS's are far from 'flat'...

Nice!

My 6002 does not have the step (ordered for a P4 system that is no longer here).
However the DFI socket is low enough profile that even my Nekid Mobile Clawhammer has no issues.
I have however found it's much easier to wrap some 80 grit sandpaper around a flat ended pop sickle stick and sand the embossed lettering off of the cambox to make it fit, rather than to try hand-machining the block...all you need is enough clearance to slip a piece of printer paper between them.
Yea, I ended up not having to do jack- just mount and go.

That's good news, I'll be doing this soon as well, with my 6002 that is not stepped ;)

I did some looking at newegg's mobo pictures and figured I was fine, then you said you had clearance concerns and I was like "WHAT? Ah hell...". Crisis averted, back to my usual evening antics :p

Well, I'm going to change blocks anyway. The new acryllic top for Dangerden has some problems. The threads are slightly stripped and so the barb barely seals with the O ring. If I tighten the barb too much it breaks loose or even if too much tension is put on the hose/barb. That combined with clearance issues around the socket makes me want to get another block. It's been running leak free for a couple of weeks now, but I don't trust it, especially considering my heatercore and tubing are external and I have a dog and cat running around my house.

Looks like I'll be grabbing a used Apogee GT for about $35 so I figure that will be a nice upgrade for a decent price. Then I'll try to get Dangerden to replace the top or upgrade me to brass top. I'll keep it as a backup or sell it here in the classies.

@ Mustanley,
I'd be getting some Marine Goop from HD/Lowe's. Sealing the threads with that will get you a pretty tough bond without life depending upon the o-rings. It's clear too.

It's not perfect, but it's better than throwing money in the junk drawer. :D

Back