• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG I NEED ADVICE!! ek FTW3 1080 ti Waterblock Gasket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tony_italia

Registered
Ok, So I disassembled my EKWB waterblock for one of my EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti's and I , for the life of me, cannot get the gasket back in. It appears to not have held its shape, and it is just to big! I did my other waterblock and it went back together just fine without any problems what so ever, but the gasket also was in the shape of the block once removed. For some reason this waterblocks gasket, once separated from the plexi, kinda popped out into a circle shape. It did not hold its shape like the other one. I have been fighting with this thing for 3 hours now, and I cannot get it even close to fitting!!!!! SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

There should be some grooves you can try putting it in and try holding them in place. Maybe if you can get another set of hands to help place the plexi on top in hopes it stays in place could help.

If all else fails at this point, you might want to get a hold of EK and let them know your issue.

There should be some grooves you can try putting it in and try holding them in place. Maybe if you can get another set of hands to help place the plexi on top in hopes it stays in place could help.

If all else fails at this point, you might want to get a hold of EK and let them know your issue.
Hey GTX, it seems that on this particular block, the gasket was used from a different block and installed by machine. I just do not see any other way to get it in. It seems to be about a half to three quarters of an inch to big/long. I have posted in the EKWB Vendors section on a different forum, and also emailed EKWB directly from their website. Murphys Law requires that if there is something to go wrong, that it go wrong with me. I should be a QA tester for some of these companies!!
There was a suggestion on the other forum to use a very tiny bit of sealing gasket maker in a couple strategic spots to aid in keeping the gasket in place while I try to replace the plexi cover, so I will head to the auto parts store today to see what I can find. Anyhoo, I appreciate the suggestion brother!

Ok, So I disassembled my EKWB waterblock for one of my EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti's and I , for the life of me, cannot get the gasket back in. It appears to not have held its shape, and it is just to big! I did my other waterblock and it went back together just fine without any problems what so ever, but the gasket also was in the shape of the block once removed. For some reason this waterblocks gasket, once separated from the plexi, kinda popped out into a circle shape. It did not hold its shape like the other one. I have been fighting with this thing for 3 hours now, and I cannot get it even close to fitting!!!!! SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Edit: Hey GTX, it seems that on this particular block, the gasket was used from a different block and installed by machine. I just do not see any other way to get it in. It seems to be about a half to three quarters of an inch to big/long. I have posted in the EKWB Vendors section on a different forum, and also emailed EKWB directly from their website. Murphys Law requires that if there is something to go wrong, that it go wrong with me. I should be a QA tester for some of these companies!!
There was a suggestion on the other forum to use a very tiny bit of sealing gasket maker in a couple strategic spots to aid in keeping the gasket in place while I try to replace the plexi cover, so I will head to the auto parts store today to see what I can find. Anyhoo, I appreciate the suggestion brother!

First of all, Calm Down, if you have some clear silicon sealant you can put a fine line in the gasket groove all the way around and then press in the rubber seal and it will hold it in place for you and will not hurt anything.

If you don't have any I suggest you go get some clear marine grade silicon sealant from your local hardware store.

It doesn't exactly have to be marine grade silicon sealant as any clear silicon sealant will actually work, but it does need to be clear.

All you need is a super thin line all the way around the groove to hold the rubber gasket in place, do not get excessive with the sealant.

Edit: Trust me even if the gasket seems too small if it came out it will go back in place, the other suggestion of using the sealant in a couple of spots may possibly work, but my suggestion will work, as I have actually done it before with a leaking block.

Last edited:
First of all, Calm Down, if you have some clear silicon sealant you can put a fine line in the gasket groove all the way around and then press in the rubber seal and it will hold it in place for you and will not hurt anything.

If you don't have any I suggest you go get some clear marine grade silicon sealant from your local hardware store.

It doesn't exactly have to be marine grade silicon sealant as any clear silicon sealant will actually work, but it does need to be clear.

All you need is a super thin line all the way around the groove to hold the rubber gasket in place, do not get excessive with the sealant.

Edit: Trust me even if the gasket seems too small if it came out it will go back in place, the other suggestion of using the sealant in a couple of spots may possibly work, but my suggestion will work, as I have actually done it before with a leaking block.

Well, I ran out to the nearest West Marine store and picked up a tube of Marine Grade Clear Silicone Sealant, then used a toothpick to put just a very tiny amount inside the groove all the way around. It worked like a charm!!! Can't thank you enuff my friend!!!

Well, I ran out to the nearest West Marine store and picked up a tube of Marine Grade Clear Silicone Sealant, then used a toothpick to put just a very tiny amount inside the groove all the way around. It worked like a charm!!! Can't thank you enuff my friend!!!

Tony, The toothpick was an excellent spread idea in the groove, I'll have to remember to suggest that in the future, Thanks. SS

Back