• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on ASRock 990FX Extreme9 MoBo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Blaylock, I have not seen a single person come through these forums using the Extreme 9, it does look good from it's specs. We have had an Asrock Fatal1ty 990fx come through here and it performed well. The specs on the Extreme 9 look very similar to the Fatal1ty. Here's a post where RGone did some testing, comparing the Fatal1ty to his Crosshair V Formula.

It looks like it's got all the right stuff to handle the top end FX chips.

12+2 VRM power phase design should be enough to overclock an 8350 to 5.0GHz with the right cooling.

with the right cooling!!!!!!!!!
understatement of the year :)
Though the review at Tom's was good they only pushed the chip to around 4.5. Above that is usually where the lack luster motherboards start to fall off. I still think it's a good motherboard and it should be able to push the 8xxx series chip far, I just would have liked to see it done in that test.

Customer Reviews of the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5

Cons: I like Gigabyte board but this makes the second board that I will have to RMA in less then 6 month the first one was a bios failure. Now this one has 2 ram slot that won't post tried the ram in another computer so they were fine. Thankfully the ram slots Faulting did not take my ram out with it like what happen to the review post above.

Cons: None

Cons: The CMOS update has bugs in it; be sure to back up b/f you update.

Cons: Initially didn't work but I found a hairline crack where the processor fits in. Amazingly, however, after some work I was able to get it working and never had an issue since with it.

Cons: i think some of the usb ports on the back no longer work.

Five or six of the first posts from this year and the board would qualify as good? While I would never put my full confidence in users reviews at NewEgg, they certainly are to fall under some consideration. They did when I bought my Asus CHV. In addition to that seeming direction, the forums where the UD5 Rev 3.0s have been in use, the users are having problems with overclocking.
RGone...

If you do go with Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 make sure it is UD5 and not UD3. Most UD3 variants are probably now Rev3 which eliminates LLC abilities from BIOS and results in throttling of CPU under load when pushed. You might want to find a way to check UD5 BIOS to see if Gigabyte did something similarly nefarious with that board variant as well.

It's always a good idea to head over to manufacturer website and download most current version of user manual before making purchase and review it for the options and features that you want/need.

To my good friend RGone it seems that things have moved on in the AMD Motherboard world!! And the UD5 is not so much a contender anymore, well that what happens when you have been away. In and out of hospital for 2 months now, so i hope i did not lay any false trails for the OP concerned. Best regards AJ. :rain: :salute:

P.S. Sorry comes to mind!!

Last edited:
In about 2 months of forum time things have really changed. The UD3 board has fallen out of $100.00 favor it seems. The other Gigabyte board like the UD5 has now gone Rev 3.0 like the UD3 and it seems to be a pain to overclock now. The UD7 has had the beans but acted odd at times and so far as I can see it is still in Rev 1.0 but that could change in a heartbeat.

Asus took a very good Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and turned it into a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 GEN3 and released them and now it seems they may have been removed from online sales in the Usa like at NewEgg. There is a thread in here about the 990FX R2.0 GEN 3 and how much trouble it was and the only cure after 2 of them was to get a Sabertooth R2.0 board without the GEN3 designator for PCIe 3.0.

So yes the AMD boards are in disarray in some major respects.
RGone...

No harm done AJ, just looking for opinions here and all are welcome. I haven't started my next build yet and to be honest not sure when it will be. I've never used ASRock and haven't used Giga in several years. It is frustrating how one Rev in a solid board can turn it into a nightmare.

Also, if you read through Tom's review that I posted earlier in this thread they actually picked the UD3 over the Extreme9 even though the Ext9 clearly outperformed it. Makes me wonder if Tom's is getting kickback's from manufacturers. It wouldn't be very surprising in todays world.

Thanks everyone for the understanding and kind words, its not been very easy of late and i will try to catch up. When i have the time between hospital visits. AJ. :thup: :salute:

Also, if you read through Tom's review that I posted earlier in this thread they actually picked the UD3 over the Extreme9 even though the Ext9 clearly outperformed it. Makes me wonder if Tom's is getting kickback's from manufacturers. It wouldn't be very surprising in todays world.

It's difficult to say what revision of board they had in the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. The difference between 1.0,1.1, and 3.0 are quite drastic. One of the pictures that they are using of the board shows it to be Rev 3.0 but they could just be stock photos.

If they had the 1.0 and 1.1, I'd be inclined to agree with them as Gigabyte hadn't neutered the board at that point. If they were running the 3.0, I call BS on the whole comparison. Having had the Rev 3.0 I, and many others, can attest to the fact that it will throttle the FX8350 at basically any speed above stock. Given how late in the game this is, I would find it hard to believe that Gigabyte would supply anything but the latest revision. I have to wonder if they also had a new BIOS in that board that reinstates the LLC and power management options.

As from what RGone said the motherboards that can support that CPU is getting smaller by the day. I run a Intel set up, but i still say its a very sad state to be in and to see. AJ. :( :-/

@Zebodog, I have to wonder if they also had a new BIOS in that board that reinstates the LLC and power management options. << I have seen users going blue in the face from holding their breath for such a bios. If that could be proven for sure, it would be a case for a pretty hefty lawsuit in my eyes.
RGone...

EDIT:
This still works for the boards with no APM = Disable bios menu setting.

APM will throttle some of the cores back to lower Pstates during heavy, multithreaded workloads reducing performance. ... To get around this, use AMD OverDrive software. Enable TurboCore, apply, then disable TurboCore … this in effect also disables Application Power Management. "
It seems working also on UD5 but after reboot you have to set it again or cores will throttle to about 2.8-3GHz so it's only option would seem for benching.

An added note: the newer Giga boards seem NOT to have LLC incorporated in the bios either. LLC is to couter-act the big Vdroop when the cpu goes under load. So you might use software to disable APM at every boot but you still will not have LLC to tend to keep the bios Vcore setting UP when the cpu goes under load. This means to get enough Vcore to handle the cpu under load the Vcore in bios will have to be set VERY high to overcome the fall of Vcore under load. Remember here we are talking about FX processors, there never was a spec for Vdroop for Deneb cpus and only a beginning spec with Thuban processors from AMD.
END EDIT.

Its the same board as the Fatlady, the 1 you did review about R-Gone. Only difference is it has 1 less ethernet port, Fatlady had 2 ports. I just picked up 1 [ASrock 990FX Extreme 9] and got to 5.0 with 1.48v. Only funny thing is LLC is backwards to other boards, Extreme9 25% is like ASUS 100%. But works same, so far been great board and looks sweet. It has been reworked a little bit but same board persay as Fatlady.

Last edited:
SplashDown: It would be a very good idea to post on this site Pictures of the Bios settings and CPU-Z and and other monitoring programs! Then the AMD Section members will come and comment on your findings etc. AJ. :shrug: ;)

Its the same board as the Fatlady, the 1 you did review about R-Gone. Only difference is it has 1 less ethernet port, Fatlady had 2 ports. I just picked up 1 [ASrock 990FX Extreme 9] and got to 5.0 with 1.48v. Only funny thing is LLC is backwards to other boards, Extreme9 25% is like ASUS 100%. But works same, so far been great board and looks sweet. It has been reworked a little bit but same board persay as Fatlady.

Yes, SplashDown, I found the LLC to be bassackwards to the my CHV as well. But the LLC does work pretty darn good on the FatLady and that is more than I can say for a lot of LLCs.

Thanks for the heads-up. I felt like the got tired of paying for ole "john's" picture and came with a non-Fatal1ty version. I would have n0 concerns about the EXT9 for pushing an FX processor if the EXT9 has at least as good a bios as the FatLady did. Again thanks for the heads-up SplashDown.
RGone...ster.

Back