• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on ASRock 990FX Extreme9 MoBo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ya sorry no pics ect. I just got board in and was researching before I bought and ran across R-Gone's review. I really suck at posting chit, why I dont even have my sig below. I'm completely self taught, and just never got into [or taught myself] doin website stuff. I've concentrated on learning the pc [overclocking] and hardware mostly. I'm permantly screwed because of my back [3 surgerys] so cant work and learned the important stuff [to me] so I could make a few extra bucks fixin pc's on the side to pay for building my stuff and helpin out the neighbors and locals. But give me few days and I'll post the stuff you are asking for AJ. I remeber you helping me with vid card questions [about memory bit width] and appreciated your patience. I read more than I post, I will only post stuff that I am sure of and not give bad or think I know it all info ..lol Anyhow back in a couple days with pics and my rig specs, but again nice board.Newegg is selling these boards to go with the nw 9xxx series of AMD CPU's so they must be able to handle it, I'm assuming? I have read alot of people sayin wtf MB are we goin to use with new 1's. But to me overpriced cpu's since I got my 8350 to 5.0. Peace guys and I shall return.

Bio's Updates

Flash it to the latest BIOS releases for better o'c eg. DDR3-2400 easily achieved on the newer BIOS (P1.30B beta) using Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 sticks
http://valid.canardpc.com/2873475

Ya I'm almost postive all updates for bios have been memory related, but there should be new one soon for new 9000 series cpu's soon. I did'nt update my bios because everything worked, my G Skill Sniper worked in EX4 so I figured it would in this 1, hence no need to update.

Last edited:
Take your time Buddy, yeah i know all about Health problems here as well. All the best to you. AJ. ;) :thup:

Testing My Ignorance / Sorry

ifjf.jpg
Just seein if I'm doin this right .. lol:blah:

ASrock 990FX Extreme 9 / Settings & Pics

OK, well quick crash course at posting stuff, but here goes. This is basically my first good set I got but wow fast. I did a quick 5.0 with 2600 on NB & HT and ran bench but my lower set of 4.94 & 2530 actually beat the other, Im assuming because I really spent time on 4.94 tweaking voltages and just forced the 5.0 just to see bench number's. I could have hit 5.0 easily but my RAM is holding me back at least with the timings I have. I backed off them a ittle and didnt like how it responded, so this is where I ended up. Sorry no BIOS pictures I dont have a way to do right now, I have phone but Im a poor white boy and blocked the internet on phone so I save money and dont have the usb cable to upload the pic to pc, its only used as phone. So your gonna have to trust me on settings, I have no reason to lie, I could care less about bench numbers. Anyhow heres some numbers and pics if anyone wants more info let me know. But to sum it up a very nice board, I wanted the CHV-Z but in the end the Extreme 9 is just fine and worth savin the $100dollars is worth it for me. Besides I have to save for better RAM now so I can crank it up some more ... LOL Anyhow peace and I hope this helps. Heres CPU-Z and Core Temp
syp6.jpg
And heres Settings and Hardware Info
rd4g.jpg

SORRY ....... The Multiplyer on my NB and HT are actually 11 not 8 ... sorry didnt notice till after I posted.

Thanks Splash for posting the AMD Section guy's will be along shortly i hope. Respect AJ.

I will say this about the Bios to add, It is exactly the same as it was on my Extreme 4. The UEFI looks same and has same controls and options, made it very easy for me I knew what was goin on ect .....So I'm assuming same as Fatality Pro also. And if I read right, whats goin on with the 12+2 phase. Its just adding another phase. Instead of 2 goin on off, each 1 on 50% of the time now its 3, so workload is split in 3. Its suppose to be able to keep a more stable and constant current, also each has 3 different filters to clean up band.Thats those little nice gold caps you see runnin down cpu, looks nice too.

Theres new bios out for this board, 1.50 and man what a huge difference, I was able to drop voltages accross the board. runnin 8350 at 4.8 with volt at 1.41 cpu/nb at 1.22 nb at 1.10 , I think with them puttin the 9590 in it, it made them work on the bios, but they finally got it right,, pc acts totally diff, I was stable before but I had to push the voltages to keep stable, I would without a problem now recommend this board.

I've had mine now for about 2 weeks and was able to get my PhII to 4.0 game stable @1.5v . I cant prime with the vCore that high, my Zalman is inadequate. Ill have to try the new bios, maybe I can drop my voltage down abit too.

Theres new bios out for this board, 1.50 and man what a huge difference, I was able to drop voltages accross the board. runnin 8350 at 4.8 with volt at 1.41 cpu/nb at 1.22 nb at 1.10 , I think with them puttin the 9590 in it, it made them work on the bios, but they finally got it right,, pc acts totally diff, I was stable before but I had to push the voltages to keep stable, I would without a problem now recommend this board.
Have you stress tested that 4.8 OC @ 1.41 Cpu V? That is by far the lowest Cpu V I've seen anyone able to run those clocks at.

Have you stress tested that 4.8 OC @ 1.41 Cpu V? That is by far the lowest Cpu V I've seen anyone able to run those clocks at.

Yes, when I used to see those huge Vcore drops, I always had to measure with a voltmeter. Cpus don't just drop their voltage requirements like that.
RGone...

Yes, when I used to see those huge Vcore drops, I always had to measure with a voltmeter. Cpus don't just drop their voltage requirements like that.
RGone...

I find that pretty F***ing amazing myself. That would be the best 8350 I've ever seen.
NICE! Opty, you have a custom loop or on LN2?

I'm pretty sure going by the post Opty linked he's using a Phase Change set-up

Ya bud, ran prime on blend all night, well 8 hours anyway. Usually when it goes that far I dont have problems. Ive got NB and HT at 2200 memory at 2133 9-11-10-28-38 2T .... So im not doin anything crazy, but still great. I was really held back by doin more before because of voltages.I just took setup i was runnin and redid voltages , hell it wouldnt boot to desktop where I had voltages before with new bios, I had to kick in butt to get stable, its like new pc now,acts totally different. I tried for weeks different combos to lower volts before and no luck till now, guess I got a good chip too, cause of voltage setting.

If you guys want pic's Ill post, but I don't lie about chit like this, no need, I dont have an ego that big to scratch .. lol But I was floored also with results.... o and also dropped VDDA from 2.70 to 2.56.

Mac clipper can verify what I'm sayin bout bios and how goofy it was,and how big of a change the new bios is. Ive seen his and others chats talkin bout it in another site, forgot name. But its why I waited to update my bios, it was workin and I'm a firm believer in if it aint broke dont fix it and wanted to verify if it was even worth doin before I flashed. I'm sure 9590 goin in board had everything to do with bios bein revamped.

Last edited:
Back