• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 146 spanking P4 to its knees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You guys keep on drooling about that and yet you are all reduced on overclocked XP 1700 and XP 2500. That should already be ridiculous to all sane people. It is to me certainly.

Well I find it awsome that my little 1700+ and 1800+ can compete well with a $170 2.4ghZ processor overclocked to 3ghz.....I don't feel like I am stuck with a 1800+ I am greatful I can attain a vast amount of performance on a processor that only cost me $30.....it just shows how great the Atlhon's design was...which makes me feel that their next design will be as revolutionary

whatever2003 said:
I seriously doubt that. These kinds of statements we are listening for three years already, for all sorts of processors and yet Intel keeps its lion share of the market.

So...?

I think you'll see Prescott soon enough, perhaps even more available in retail than Athlon64.
Prescott is due at Q4 2003, with a 3.2Ghz part. You think it'll still be out there earlier than Athlon64?
I'll buy Athlon64 in few weeks. The only question I have is whether it will actually be available. The experience in the last year or two teaches me that AMD paper releases processors that is rather hard to find for few months after the "release."
www.newegg.com
Intel CPU is in the last two PCs I built for simple reason that I got tired of AMD hype while in reality it is all rather mediocre or unavailable. These two are faster PCs than any of my XPs, including the latest Barton I got.
Yeah, i also want a processor that speeds up my internet!

For example I don't see 146 on sale anywhere, 246 is way too expensive (yeah, it might beat 3.2C but with an overclocked 2.4C or 2.6C I can beat them both, and that is $200 or less), motherboards are too expensive, and registered memory is more expensive as well, though not as bad.
Considering it was launched on the 8th, i'd say we're doing pretty well. And come back when you can beat 2x 246's, overclocked or not. You're forgetting that Opterons become stronger the more of them there are. (If you have RAM for each bank of course)

Personally i think you're the latest Intel fanboy around while still putting AMD chips into your computers. And are you Indian or something?

whatever2003 said:
Barton was a paper launch, XP T'bred (everyone of them) was a paper launch.
Bull****.
Northwoods B and C appeared unannounced.
So you're telling us that Intel never came out and said that "hey guys, this is our next chip"? That is what AMD has been doing with the launches - face it - whenever a product is released into the market, its called a launch.
Hammer has been a general hype for the last three years, with all sorts of benchmarks.
And?

You guys keep on drooling about that and yet you are all reduced on overclocked XP 1700 and XP 2500. That should already be ridiculous to all sane people. It is to me certainly.
Yes, its certainly ridiculous that a lowly processor can clock that high and have so much performance that only high-end P4s can beat it.

It is safe to assume that 90+% of you will be still overclocking XPs this year and well into 2004 while Intel folks are already since this spring on Northwood Cs.
And its a safe bet that 90% of Intel users will still be overclocking P4s this year and well into 2004. And this part
while Intel folks are already since this spring on Northwood Cs
makes no sense whatsoever. Is English your first language?

Wow, can't wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys!
BTW, Mark, good responses, my thoughts exactly :D

My old motherboard used to allow changing that setting of the ram in the bios, 1T or 2T.
This one dosent, guess I should update that heh.

I don't remember the exact tech deffinition of what the 1T setting does, only that the lower the faster

I do believe this is the biggest fanboy thread ive yet to see here.
I dont give two rats azz's about intel or amd, i buy what i can that o/c's well , or to what point i need it to be at.
im slightly miffed about the high end chip prices from BOTH companys right now.. oh yeah and..

while Intel folks are already since this spring on Northwood Cs

makes no sense whatsoever. Is English your first language?

its pretty easy to understand that sentence actually, even if its phrased oddly, it means folks from the intel side have been using overclocked northwood c cores since spring.
and its also very rude to say that about someone, especially
since it SHOULD be considered flaming. maybe a few mods here
are rather large amd fans :)
anyhow, why not just wait until someone here HAS one of these
new chips and puts up some benchies?
im sure its going to be good, but why not just wait and see HOW
good instead of saying intels dead?
id like to see alot more "help" or "tutorial" posts myself..
flame wars get kinda old..

my 2&1/2 ¢

ManOfKnight said:
the Athlon FX is supposed to be just about as fast with its dual channels...i wouldn't buy a 64 though (even though they are benchmarking remarkabley well)

AMD has finally brought out something to compete with the Pentium 4 (and it only took a year)...can't wait till the prices drop on these babies

Every P4 had an equal performing stock AMD cpu up until the 3.0c and 3.2c. AMD has been "competing" just fine.

Spade said:
its pretty easy to understand that sentence actually, even if its phrased oddly, it means folks from the intel side have been using overclocked northwood c cores since spring.

Okaaay..... so people have been using them since they were released. OH MI GOD I AM SO SURPRIZED THAT PPLS HAVE BEEN USING CHIPS THAT HAVE BIN SELLING AT NEWEGG!!!! DID YUO KNOW PPLS HAVE BEEN USING ATHLONxpZZZ SINCE 2001???!??!!
and its also very rude to say that about someone, especially
since it SHOULD be considered flaming. maybe a few mods here
are rather large amd fans :)
So if i came from Mexico and English wasn't my first language you'd call the moral police if someone asked me whether it was or not?

Lets all calm down a bit and stay objective :).

We are all friends here, one or two articles shouldnt start a full blown flamewar.

I think for now we should forget what has happened with other launches etc.

Lets look at what the article shows:

- AMD Opteron 146 beats AthlonXP3200+ in most tests and is thus better overall.

- AMD Opteron 146 beats Pentium 4 3.2Ghz in several tests, mainly gaming related ones.

- Pentium 4 3.2Ghz beats Opteron 146 in several tests, mostly video/audio encoding.

There are several conclusions we can come to from this article and the benchmarks within. None of these are "LOL AMD ROX LOL INTEL DIE ROFL LMAO" or "INTEL STILL ROOOLS TEH WORLD! AMD FANBOYS SUCK LOL LOL".

We could conclude:

- Intels next CPU release may offer comparible or better performance. On the other hand, it may not. I dont think there are any Prescott benchmarks so i doubt that we can accurately compare the performance of these two CPUs

- AMD Opterons will outperform high end Intel CPUs in the near future if AMD can scale them to 2.2/2.4GHz or higher.

Whatever you conclude, we must all conclude that this can only be good for computer users/enthusiasts in general.

Lets all stay calm and objective - links to sources of information would be nice, and lets keep the language simple. Maybe even take extra care how you word posts to avoid causing offense.

In short, congrats to AMD on producing what looks like a great CPU, and I cant wait to see what Intel come up with, as I am sure they wont ignore it.

David

hmn, ok well if you were earnestly asking him what his nationality was fine. its kinda hard to tell if someones "tone" is rude or not in text no?

and as far as moral police, i guess you missed my point.
im saying pointless wars over crap like this annoys people
who come here to actually LEARN things.
oh and

Okaaay..... so people have been using them since they were released. OH MI GOD I AM SO SURPRIZED THAT PPLS HAVE BEEN USING CHIPS THAT HAVE BIN SELLING AT NEWEGG!!!! DID YUO KNOW PPLS HAVE BEEN USING ATHLONxpZZZ SINCE 2001???!??!!

this offends my sense of spelling above a fourth grade level :p

(can you FEEL the sarcasm? no? CAN YOU FEEL IT NOW?)

cheers :)

Cool it guys, this fanboy bickering is pointless.

You can dissagree with someone's ideas and show evidence that they're wrong. Just saying they're wrong without evidence is also poinless. A tit for a tat is a children's playground tactic.

No one should be hassled for their language or grammer skills as this is a personal attack and against forum rules.

A mod will close this thread if things don't mellow out.

Even QuadDamage's thread over at T-beak forums has degenerated to a fanboy squabble and hardly worth reading past the first couple of pages.

Lets all get along.

Back