• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over-Clocking AMD FX 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anthrax50551

Registered
Hey guys Here are my Specs:

MOBO > Asrock 970 Extreme3 V.P1.70
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX 6100 Black Edition (Antec)
MEMORY > Corsair, 2200 Mhz, 8 GB
POWER SUPPLY > Corsair CX750
VIDEO CARD > NVIDIA 660 Ti 2GB One
HDDs/Optical drives > One 500 GB Sata
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Usb Devices Plugged to Mobo?
O/S > Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Case > DiabloTek - 6 Fans, Water-Cooled CPU
----------------------------------

So here is what i basically wanna know, Is my voltage too high for the current session? Ive seen computers running same voltage at higher frequencies and im not sure exactly what I should have it at, Ive tested the Voltage and its extremely stable, Prime-95 for a couple hours 35C Max temp under-full load with no failing cores.
---
Stock Mode /W Turbo Max Temp 30C
---
So what im basically wondering is I wanna get to 4.2 Ghz Completely Stable and am unsure of what voltage I need Or if the voltage i have right now is too high for 3.9 Ghz to get me a base of where im going to tune. Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, if you really want to know, you could always bump up the multiplier and try higher clock speeds to see if your current voltages are maybe too much or just right.

Another option would be to lower the voltages at the curent clock speed and see where your stability falls off at.

Thats what I was thinking to try, I will do that now!! Then post my results.

Results

Last edited:
Well.......I see you have results. So, tell us, what do you think of your results.

Also, let me add this bit of overclockers.com forum etiquette that we all like to abide upon.

Get CPUID so we can see your cpu information
Get HWMonitor so we can see your temps
Get Prime95 and run it for at least 20 minutes with your setup to see if it is at least stable at that amount of time

Post your current setup in your signature so, at a glance, everybody can see what you're working with.

Finally, given what you've posted so far, let's see what you can do. Get all of those apps in order, put your voltage to what you have them at and to what you think your max speed is, run Prime95 for 20-30 minutes and then submit a screen shot of cpuid with the cpuid CPU tab, Memory tab, SPD tab, and finally let us see what HWmonitor says about your core or package temps on you rig.

Once we get this initial information, you'll get folks flocking in here letting you know what's up with your PC and what you should or shouldn't do.

So, let's see it. You show your's and i'll show mine =)

Last edited:
Do the results include 2 hours of Prime 95 running in Blend mode and the temps not exceeding 70c on cpu and 60c on the package aKa core temps? If it passes that, there is a good chance you could call it stable otherwise it is sitll only a moon shot for giggles. .

Do the results include 2 hours of Prime 95 running in Blend mode and the temps not exceeding 70c on cpu and 60c on the package aKa core temps? If it passes that, there is a good chance you could call it stable otherwise it is sitll only a moon shot for giggles. .

Yeah right now im stable at 4.0 Ghz but im trying to work past that and call it "Stable" I don't know how to screen-shot the other tabs ive tried before and it only ever does the first one unless its a actual screenshot. I can provide all the information and i have all of those programs already, right now im leaving to do something really quick and leaving it run at
4070 Mhz, 18.5 Multiplier, 220 Mhz Bus, 1.36 Volts, I know its not pictures but im giving you some info before I come back of what my current setup is, When I come back i will post a screenshot of Hardware Monitor, CPU Stability Test (That's what im running right now) and CPU-z

Hey guys I did my signature with all my Info However, It will not show it...
EDIT: Nvm i guess it doesn't apply to old posts.

here are the images u guys wanted, First one is the one with the Test still running, Sadly I closed it but it was running for over 1 hr with the temps shown in that picture all fans at 30%

test1i.png

test2zn.png

test3yne.png

1. CPU Temp of 50c is fine as is "package temp" of 40c. Room to go some more. Raise Multiplier from 18.5 to 19 and try Prime 95 Blend mode. That stresser stresses. Some others do not.

2. Your ram is only running at DDR880 and nowhere near the DDR1600 the ram is said to be. You need to adjust the ram speed up some. Giving away too much performance for tight timiings is how I think it is.
RGone...ster.

1. CPU Temp of 50c is fine as is "package temp" of 40c. Room to go some more. Raise Multiplier from 18.5 to 19 and try Prime 95 Blend mode. That stresser stresses. Some others do not.

2. Your ram is only running at DDR880 and nowhere near the DDR1600 the ram is said to be. You need to adjust the ram speed up some. Giving away too much performance for tight timiings is how I think it is.
RGone...ster.

Ok, What do you suggest i do? Up the Timings and change the ram settings? Btw the CPU was only running at 30C not 50C

Alright guys seriously Ive given all the stuff uve wanted and am getting no help, My ram REFUSES to be set to anything or timed or anything without it crashing and it is nerve racking. Right now i have everything set on auto all over again cause i can't get anything to work right except overclocking the cpu no problems there. MY HT link is at 2394 Mhz and i dont know why the settings are auto

Just look at the JEDEC entries in the timings table of CPU-Z in your pictures. Keep in mind that the frequencies stated there are doubled so 800mhz there is likely to show as 1600mhz in your BIOS. Generally speaking you can let the BIOS do auto everything for the timings and just tell it to use 1600mhz for your memory frequency and usually it will choose slightly relaxed timings that will be stable.

Right now i have it running Stable at 4.0 Ghz, but would like to push it some more, Is Going up to 16 GB of ram a good upgrade for gaming or not? I was thinking of upgrading to the FX 8350 8-Core Chip to save myself some troubles is that a good or bad idea?

Right now i have it running Stable at 4.0 Ghz, but would like to push it some more, Is Going up to 16 GB of ram a good upgrade for gaming or not? I was thinking of upgrading to the FX 8350 8-Core Chip to save myself some troubles is that a good or bad idea?

I don't think 16Gb of RAM will help in any current game. The last time I used more than 8Gb I had Minecraft, Skyrim, 2 EvE Online clients and a few programs that aren't games running.

As for the 8350, I feel like your board will be the limiting factor here. There aren't many games around that will make good use of more than 4 cores so what you really want is a higher overclock. That board probably won't be up to dealing with high power draw so you'll be better off overclocking the 6 core than you would be with the 8 core.

Sorry for butting in here as Hicksimus said you have a good middle of the road board with a TDP of 140 Watts! Your CPU TDP is 95 Watts with the FX 6100 so all things equal you should be able to OC to about 4.1 or 4.2 stable! "But as my friend RGone said do not expect to shoot for the moon." But also that SSJ has stated there is now great gains to be had beyond that either. AJ.

Last edited:
Actually most of us have a life outside the forum. I have been having my +90 year old Father visit for the holidays and one never knows at that age when is the last visit. This is a busy time of the year and I just have now had time to look at what you say is inside the case and do your homework for you.

You say this in your signature >> MEMORY > Corsair, 2200 Mhz, 8 GB

But the CPUz SPD tab which are the ram specs programmed onto the ram sticks says this >>
Model
BrandCrucial
Series = Ballistix Sport
Model = BLS4G3D1609DS1S00
Type = 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Tech Spec
Capacity = 4GB
Speed = DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency = 9
Voltage = 1.5V

1. That is not 2200Mhz ram. It is not DDR2200 ram even. It is DDR1600 ram or could be spoken another way; it is 800Mhz ram.

2. According the the part number that ram shown in the SPD tab is not even an 8gig dual channel type ram but individual 4 gig sticks of which you seem to have bought two sticks. Much preferred to buy in a two stick kit not individually and then try and run together.

3. The SPD tab of CPUz shows some very large tRC numbers. Numbers hardly ever set that large 'automatically' by a bios. IF the ram needs such great tRC, then it is NO wonder the ram settings on AUTO are failing to boot when you try and increase the Ram Speed.

4. The only real point made by the NewEgg 'buyer/reviewer' was that the ram was cheap. It probably is cheap ram made more for use in an Intel type motherboard and not AMD at all. Could work, but I would never buy such for my own AMD rig.

Well spotted RG it shows someone is on the ball, so that's why it fails! By the way a bit off topic here can you say Hi to your Dad please and kind regards from and the good lady here RG?

Actually most of us have a life outside the forum. I have been having my +90 year old Father visit for the holidays and one never knows at that age when is the last visit. This is a busy time of the year and I just have now had time to look at what you say is inside the case and do your homework for you.

You say this in your signature >> MEMORY > Corsair, 2200 Mhz, 8 GB

But the CPUz SPD tab which are the ram specs programmed onto the ram sticks says this >>
Model
BrandCrucial
Series = Ballistix Sport
Model = BLS4G3D1609DS1S00
Type = 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

Tech Spec
Capacity = 4GB
Speed = DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency = 9
Voltage = 1.5V

1. That is not 2200Mhz ram. It is not DDR2200 ram even. It is DDR1600 ram or could be spoken another way; it is 800Mhz ram.

2. According the the part number that ram shown in the SPD tab is not even an 8gig dual channel type ram but individual 4 gig sticks of which you seem to have bought two sticks. Much preferred to buy in a two stick kit not individually and then try and run together.

3. The SPD tab of CPUz shows some very large tRC numbers. Numbers hardly ever set that large 'automatically' by a bios. IF the ram needs such great tRC, then it is NO wonder the ram settings on AUTO are failing to boot when you try and increase the Ram Speed.

4. The only real point made by the NewEgg 'buyer/reviewer' was that the ram was cheap. It probably is cheap ram made more for use in an Intel type motherboard and not AMD at all. Could work, but I would never buy such for my own AMD rig.

Thanks for the Info actually the ram came in a Bundle so i wouldn't know much about it, I was going to upgrade of something of higher quality but am unsure of what.

I don't think 16Gb of RAM will help in any current game. The last time I used more than 8Gb I had Minecraft, Skyrim, 2 EvE Online clients and a few programs that aren't games running.

As for the 8350, I feel like your board will be the limiting factor here. There aren't many games around that will make good use of more than 4 cores so what you really want is a higher overclock. That board probably won't be up to dealing with high power draw so you'll be better off overclocking the 6 core than you would be with the 8 core.

My Board was specifically Designed for the 8-Core, Idk why i didn't stupidly pick it to begin with so ide have atleast more to play with, but its ok cause so far everything is going good, Im looking for better ram right now and trying to figure out most compatible ram with my AMD processor, its hard g.skills is apparently good but idk anything about them.

I have spent my money on n0thing...

...but Gskil since OCZ went out of the ram business. I knew someone at OCZ and got good buying advice as to what to get.

NONE of these kits below have those high, in the way of CPU Cooler heatspreaders that are mostly for show.
I have one kit of this for my FX-8350 in CHV board. Goes DDR1800 pretty easy with the FX-8120 I had and with FX-8350 on my CHV. Bios 1102.

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

I have one kit of this for my FX-8350 in CHV board. Goes DDR2020 pretty easy with the FX-8120 I had and with FX-8350 on my CHV. Bios 1102.

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

1st choice for next kit during the holidays: Another of the low height BLUE kits. Good timings for the later type ram ICs.

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-8GAB

2nd choice for next kit during the holidays: Low height for sure but the gold kit. I am not as fond of it as the more tightly timed kit above since AMD has always like tighter timings or pure ram speed.

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-8GAO

All of that ram is Gskil and the kits I chose, I know for sure work in AMD.

Back