• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock issue - no display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hadog32

Registered
Hi all,

I tried to overclock my fx 8120 today and now Im getting no display on my monitors. The setting I used were from the OC guide on these forums. Did i fry my chip? I used the settings from steveb's bulldozer OC guide.

Specs:
Blue Antec Lanboy
FX 8120
Giga 990fxa-ud5
G-skill memory - 16gb
Sapphire 6850 video cards
Cooler master hyper 212 evo with dual fans
PSU - 750watt

What are your bios settings for?:

CPU multiplier (may be called "ratio")
CPU frequency
CPU voltage
CPU/NB frequency
CPU/NB voltage
HT Link frequency
HT Link frequency
Memory frequency
Memory voltatge

Do you have Turbo, C1E, Cool N Quiet and C6 disabled? If so, you need to. Also, make sure you don't have ACC or whatever your bios calls the core unlocker function enabled.

I was able to reset my bios by removing the cmos battery and re installing it.
Below was the settings I ran when I had the display issue.

CPU multiplier - 3.5
CPU frequency
CPU voltage - 1.387
CPU/NB frequency - 2200
CPU/NB voltage - 1.100
HT Link frequency - 1.200
HT Link frequency - 1.200
Memory frequency
Memory voltatge

Some of those numbers you gave in answer to my question don't make sense. In fact, most of them don't. The only ones that look normal are the CPU votage, CPU/NB frequency and (maybe) the CPU/NB voltage. The HT Link frequency should be more or less equal to the CPU/NB frequency at 2200 mhz.

Is your computer behaving normally now?

yes it is. one i reset the battery, its all good. Now I just left everything normal in the bios setting except increased my cpu clock ration to x21 - 4.200mhz, its stable but when i stress test it with prime95 the system locks up. does my cpu voltage need to be increased?

hadog32, please download and install a free program called CPU-z. Run it and capture images of these three tabs from the program interface: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Crop and save the pics to disc with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then post the three pics by:
1. Click on he Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window on the forum.
2. When the Advanced Post window opens, go to the top and click on the little paperclip icon.
3. That will open the file browser/uploader and the rest will be obvious.

CPU-z gives us loads of information about your system and your bios settings.

I'll Post them later tonight when i get home. Thanks for all your help on this. much appreciated.

Trents,

Here are my numbers with the CPU-Z, Core Temp & CPUID HW.
let me know what you think.

Attachments

• CPU.png
    CPU.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Memory.png
    Memory.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 226
  • SPD.png
    SPD.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 225
  • CoreTemp_CPUIDHW.png
    CoreTemp_CPUIDHW.png
    147 KB · Views: 235
It all looks pretty good to me. Have you stress tested it for stability with at least two hours of Prime95 blend.

Your max temperature (socket) is way too high, at dangerous level. Also I think your CPU voltage is too high, I have 4.2 GHz on 1.260 V, stable on Prime for couple of hours.

Trents,

I am still unable to stress test it on blends without my system locking up. Any ideas what could be causing this.

I forgot to mention that my LLC is at medium, could that be causing the lockup im having when i try to stress test it with prime95 on blend

Your max temperature (socket) is way too high, at dangerous level. Also I think your CPU voltage is too high, I have 4.2 GHz on 1.260 V, stable on Prime for couple of hours.

I doubt very seriously if those max temps are real, especially when you compare them with the max core temps and with the live, current CPU temps. It's probably a false reading. Concerning the voltage being too high, I don't think his is excessive by any means. Maybe yours are lower than usual at that clock.

hadog32, you would probably benefit from giving your CPUNB a little voltage increase. Turn off Turbo, Cool N Quiet, C1E and C6 in bios. Go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That should turn off the green, power saving, down-throttling stuff that contributes to instability when overclocking.

I also think you should start a new thread as the subject line is misleading. The original problem doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited:
Back