• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Stability Problems (Please Help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgman

VT7 overclock problems (HELP ME!)

Stats:

Abit VT7
Pentium Celeron 2.2 (400 Mhz fsb)
2 x Geil 512Mb PC3200 (2.5,3,6,3)
2 x Western Digital 80Gb SATA 10,000 rpm Raptors (RAID 0)
1 x 5400 rpm Hard Drive for running Windows XP Pro from
Radeo 7500 64Mb PCI video card
Max Cooler CPU Fan and Heatsink
Raidmax Case w/ 430watt power supply

Here are a few of the road blocks im hitting in my attemps to find the ideal setting of speed and stability when overclocking:

1. When setting my fsb to 130:195:32 (CPU:MEM:pCI) my Comp ran bad at stock vcore, and better with each increase until .15 above and then windows wont post or restarts immediatly after it does. But my cpu temp never rises above 30c at +.10 because of my huge fan and heatsink. So if my temps are low, why would it crash at +.15 when it runs at better +.10? Shouldn't it add more stability at +.15?

2. After checking the website for my Geil memory I came to the conclusion that the mobo might be misreading the vdimm voltage. The site suggested a vdimm setting of 2.7-2.8v, with a footnote that all moduels are tested at 3.0v+. So, I bumped the vdimm voltage to 2.7, it runs better. At 2.8 it runs stable as can be but in 2 different benchmark tests my comp ran half as slow and when I put the vdimm at 2.7, back to 2.7 it runs back to speed.
Why would an increase in vdimm voltage impacted the speed of the computer?

3. I can not find the setting for locking the pci/bus. This severly limits the ability for my to use 1mh increments for my fsb setting. After 36mhz im experiencing instability, and after 37mhz My RAID 0 fails because the harddrives dont like the raised setting. PS. Im running windows off of the 5400 rpm drive for assurance, the raid is for my games.

So in conclusion I could use some help.

P.S. I am currently running my fsb at 133:200:33 because a lower fbs means running the pci at an off speed which I believe was complicating the stability problem. Ive have the vcore at 1.62 and the vdimm at 1.70. The Memmory performace features are turned off, and all settings are a SPD. PCI latency is at 150, and all other settings are at "Optimal", for the upgraded BIOS. At current setting Prime95 tourture test errors out with a rounding error after a minute or less, the benchmark runs 15.595-121.345 (awesome). I would really love to stabalize this speed.

What brand is your psu and what are the specs on it? It sounds like your system runs fine stock, until you start playing with the voltage settings, and then weird things start to happen. Also, I thought the 400 mhz Cele's werent that great at OC'ing?

Here is the link for a pic of the specs.

Its a Raid Max 420W not a 430W I made a typo

everything seems to be fine with the power, when I go into BIOS the pc health status says:

+3.3v = 3.39v
+5v = 5.11v
+12v = 11.97v

When I am in Windows my Mobo monitor says:

+3.3v = 3.39v
+5v = 5.11v
+12v = 12.04v

Does the small change in voltage between BIOS and Windows for +12v mean anything to you???

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album

thank you very much for replying to my post, it much appreciated:)

well i guess the link doesnt work so ill type out the specs:

A/C - 10A/5A

+3.3 = 26.0A
+5v = 32.0A
+12v = 13.0A
-5v = 0.5A
-12v = 0.8A
+5Vsb = 2.0A

Total Output Wattage = 420W

your power seems to be fine, have you run memtest86 yet? Also, you could check your drivers, but if everything is running fine stock I dont think they could be the problem ...

I think that as you pointed out, locking your pci might be the problem, besides that, Im out of ideas, sorry.

i dont know a lot about inhell setup's, but i know my rig wouldnt run with a 12v rail as weak as that.........i would try a stronger power supply if you can, see if it makes a difference, if it does, buy one

I ran the memmory test you suggested and everything passed, that gives me some comfort.

What are acceptable and/or ideal voltages for the +12v, I was under the impression I had a good power supply.

It would really suck to have to fork out another $70, I paid that for my Mobo! lol

I unplugged my cdrom,dvd, and system fans and the voltage didnt raise or drop any.

thank you guys again for your help I can thank you enough

i hear what your saying mac, but the pci isnt anywhere near out of spec

ive got 25a on my 12v rail, and i wouldnt buy a psu with less than 20 tbh, but thats just me, ive seen probs with psu with particular board thats all, i dont know a lot about intel rigs like i say, im just summising

What brand and size PSU do you suggest???

Again thank you guys for you insite

Back