• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock wont stay after reboot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokitexas

For some reason my overclock settings wont stay.

I was messing around last night trying to get a decent OC on a P5ND and a Q6600.

I have had it clocked at 2.7. So last night I tried to up it a bit. I got a few blue screens and then a few green ones too. Oh well. So I decided to put it back at my original settings.

But now...when I go into Vista, CPU says I am back to stock. WTF? I tried to change it a few times...no matter what I put in the bios it goes back to stock.

I checked the Intel SpeedStep...and the other settings that changed the speed due to workload, and one other that adjusts the Vcore. They are all disabled.

Basically its the same damn settings I have been running...but now nothing changes. Any ideas?

Hmm, have you checked the cmos battery? I had a problem like that and the cmos battery was dying and would'nt save my settings in the bios.

Thats what odd. The mobo is less than a week old. It keeps my settings. For instance, in the bios it has my overclock parameters, but doesnt keep them when Vista boots up.

Hell I can put in ANYTHING on the FSB and voltage and it still comes back in CPUz as stock.

Would re-flashing help? I already reset the CMOS. But the settings still dont "stick" when I boot.

Last edited:
lokitexas, I don't understand why you started a new thread. There were several people trying to help you in a thread you started yesterday (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=556342), and you were given some good suggestions. You claimed that you were going to post back with your BIOS settings, but you never did. It is very possible that your overclock is just too unstable, causing your motherboard to automatically apply stock settings when it fails to POST after BIOS changes. Most motherboards have this sort of overclocking "protection" feature.

My recommendation is to start over again from scratch. Did you read the overclocking sticky in this forum? I seriously doubt that you did based on the sorts of questions you have been asking. You need to at least understand how the memory speed is linked to the FSB before you proceed.

lokitexas, I don't understand why you started a new thread. There were several people trying to help you in a thread you started yesterday (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=556342), and you were given some good suggestions. You claimed that you were going to post back with your BIOS settings, but you never did. It is very possible that your overclock is just too unstable, causing your motherboard to automatically apply stock settings when it fails to POST after BIOS changes. Most motherboards have this sort of overclocking "protection" feature.

My recommendation is to start over again from scratch. Did you read the overclocking sticky in this forum? I seriously doubt that you did based on the sorts of questions you have been asking. You need to at least understand how the memory speed is linked to the FSB before you proceed.

Yes I did read the stickies. They helped. I started a new thread because its a new issue. After taking some suggestions and trying to apply them with some sucess...I ran into this problem.

So BEFORE I can keep going I need to figure this issue out. I figured this has nothing to do with my overclock and more trying to get my settings to stick. I would have posted some of my BIOS settings last night if I wasnt having this issue.

If I am mistaken in starting another thread, I appologise. If this one needs to be moved, or deleted, then Mods please do it!

If I am mistaken in starting another thread, I appologise. If this one needs to be moved, or deleted, then Mods please do it!
No, it's fine. It just seems to me that this problem could very well be related to instability you described in the other thread. As I mentioned in my previous post, it is quite normal for the motherboard to reset all BIOS settings to default after you save unstable overclocked settings. I know that you think those settings were stable for you before, but don't assume that your memory is 100% accurate, and also don't assume that settings will be stable today just because they were yesterday. ;) After all, did you REALLY torture test those settings with 12+ hours of 4-threaded Prime95?

No, it's fine. It just seems to me that this problem could very well be related to instability you described in the other thread. As I mentioned in my previous post, it is quite normal for the motherboard to reset all BIOS settings to default after you save unstable overclocked settings. I know that you think those settings were stable for you before, but don't assume that your memory is 100% accurate, and also don't assume that settings will be stable today just because they were yesterday. ;) After all, did you REALLY torture test those settings with 12+ hours of 4-threaded Prime95?

Obviously, no, I have not run Prime95 yet. I was just trying to get a clock that would boot so i could stress test. And yes, I did assume they were stable since I was running it for a few days. My fault...assumpition is the worst enemy.

So before I can proceed...any suggestions on how to get my settings to stick and not reset to default?

Obviously, no, I have not run Prime95 yet. I was just trying to get a clock that would boot so i could stress test. And yes, I did assume they were stable since I was running it for a few days. My fault...assumpition is the worst enemy.

So before I can proceed...any suggestions on how to get my settings to stick and not reset to default?
Yes, leave everything at stock, and just increae the FSB by 10 MHz. Just to be safe, you need to make sure that your memory divider is set such that it is not overclocking the memory. Set a 1:1 ratio to be safe. Save those settings and watch for any strange POST messages on reboot. Once you're in Windows, see if CPU-z reports the 10 MHz overclock on the FSB.

Yes, leave everything at stock, and just increae the FSB by 10 MHz. Just to be safe, you need to make sure that your memory divider is set such that it is not overclocking the memory. Set a 1:1 ratio to be safe. Save those settings and watch for any strange POST messages on reboot. Once you're in Windows, see if CPU-z reports the 10 MHz overclock on the FSB.

Sounds good. Ill try that during my lunch break and report back.

have you also checked to see if the option to overclock is ENABLED. I just checked and on the Gigabyte boards, when you overclock to far, it reverts to the stock options but the previously entered values remain in BIOS. When you go into BIOS, all the values are there, but once you load Windows it is actually stock.

CPU-z is still reporting stock clocks. I upped it by 10MHz and nadda.

have you also checked to see if the option to overclock is ENABLED. I just checked and on the Gigabyte boards, when you overclock to far, it reverts to the stock options but the previously entered values remain in BIOS. When you go into BIOS, all the values are there, but once you load Windows it is actually stock.

I cant find this option in my BIOS. I have an Asus board btw, but this seems exactally like the problem.

Update***

Just needed to clear the CMOS...remove battery and move the jumper. Back on track now.

Back