• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked 8800 GTS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelicPenguin

So I recently overclocked my 8800 GTS to 615/1015 using ATITool. I see that ATITool has the ability to overclock it when I run 3D games. Is this hard on the card to switch back and forth? Or is it better to have it run stock when higher speeds are not needed?

I don’t think it’s hard on the card – least I hope it’s not. I’m running the 97.44’s with Riva final and I like having the hardware monitor up and running in the background while I play COD2. After my gaming session I can review the graphs to make sure my temps and clocks ran fine.

I think it’s kinda cool to see it switch between the 2d and performance 3d settings :)

Riva final is the final release of riva tuner.

I don’t think I can say which is better for overclocking (RT vs. ATiTool) I like ati tool cause I can scan for artifacts during my overclock and I like Riva tuner because it lets me configure about every aspect of my 8800gts.

Also im running the 97.44’s because the 97.92’s and 97.94’s give me nothing over them. I didn’t see the point in updating if it did nothing for me.

AngelicPenguin said:
So I recently overclocked my 8800 GTS to 615/1015 using ATITool. I see that ATITool has the ability to overclock it when I run 3D games. Is this hard on the card to switch back and forth? Or is it better to have it run stock when higher speeds are not needed?

The 2-D mode runs at a lower core voltage (I believe), thus why the card is cooler. ATITool likes to OC the 2-D mode for some reason, but I prefer to leave it at stock. And no, it isn't hard on the card to change clocks.
Dan

Back