• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocked FX-8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
F6c was very good for a long time as sort of 'the' bios but now any of the various divisions of bios are not available from Gigabyte. F6x went from at least a thru f.
RGone...

I'm using F9. It's what came with the board. Should I update it? And if I should, should I go with F10 orthe F11d beta?
I'm a little reluctant to update my BIOS, I've never done it before and apparently it's risky...

EDIT: Dropping the vCore to 1.3625v at 4.3Ghz made my system much more stable than with higher voltage and lower multiplier... Ran for 1.5 hours in Prime95 blend. When I came back from walking my dog my PC had restarted. Prime's result file showed no errors, it just stopped after 1.5 hours, I'm guessing a BSOD that I missed.
I'd still like to know why HWMonitor won't show vCore to be over 1.36v no matter what I set it to.

Last edited:
From your first post of HWMonitor I can see over 1.5v I think what you see is base voltage and since you're still using offset AFIK then that's where it's going to start. Check your max voltage it should be higher.

I understand that, but when I watch the voltages it stays at 1.36v. Those higher voltages only happen for a fraction of a second, if at all.

Also, I turned the voltage down another notch. It's running Prime95 blend at 4.3Ghz for almost 2 hours now without problems. It seems my system becomes more stable if I LOWER the voltage...:bang head

IF that's the case then it's likely a heat issue. The H60 isn't much better than an air cooler. And if you're getting high spikes then it may not be able to handle the sudden rise.

Well I just got a Swiftech H220. Not sure yet if I want to keep it though. I'll keep trying with this setup for now, if I really run into a heat barrier I'll install the new cooler and go from there. If I can get it to about 4.5Ghz stable by fiddling with this lower voltage and it's at acceptable temps then I'll probably return it. Damn thing was expensive.

Did you ever get the LLC figured out? What we try to do is keep the max voltage as close to the set voltage as possible. So since you're using offset take the base and *** your offset figure to it. If the LLC is set well than when you're stress testing the voltage will only go above your setting slightly like .01v give or take

Setting LLC to Auto helped a lot with stability somehow. Honestly I'd prefer to see how far I can get with it an Auto before I start messing with it again.
Once I get it stable on a good speed I'll try the LLC settings again (provided I don't run into trouble along the way).

EDIT: Well I got it stable at [email protected]. Setting the voltage above about 1.4v makes it read out 1.36 again. Can anyone confirm this would be a heat issue? Temp isn't that high, about 55 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:
Well I'm stuck. Any voltage above 1.36-1.39v is fine at boot, but when I put a load on the CPU the voltage seems to act like I set it to 1.36v. EDIT2: Actually, it goes up to the value I specified for about 20 seconds, then it goed down to 1.36v. For a vCore of about 1.408 anyway. ENDEDIT No matter how high I set the voltage in BIOS.
Does anyone have any idea why that happens? It doesn't SEEM to have anything to do with temperature... Don't be afraid to prove me wrong though!

EDIT: This entire post was meant to be an edit, sorry.

Last edited:
Well I'm stuck. Any voltage above 1.36-1.39v is fine at boot, but when I put a load on the CPU the voltage seems to act like I set it to 1.36v. Actually, it goes up to the value I specified for about 20 seconds, then it goed down to 1.36v. For a vCore of about 1.408 anyway. No matter how high I set the voltage in BIOS.
Does anyone have any idea why that happens?

Why it happens? This is your issue >> GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 1.1 << and why I suggested n0t to buy a cooler but a motherboard instead so you CoulD have a chance to do some decent adjusting of cpu settings for a stable overclock in the 4.4Ghz range with that H-60 which is not really any better than most air coolers and not nearly as good as a Noctua D-14.
RGone...

Alright alright I get it. I was just wondering if it wasn't something else.
I've already seriously overstretched myself the past week (chronic illness) and I'm going to leave it for now. Reset everything to stock. I'll probably revisit the whole overclocking thing in a while, buy a new board perhaps. For now I'm probably going to return the cooler and just leave overclocking be for a while and USE my computer instead of constantly fiddling with it.
Feel free to keep the tips coming though, I'll read it all. It will probably just take me a while to act on it.

POST #426 out of 10,015 posts. In this LONG thread >>
http://www.overclock.net/t/1023100/official-gigabyte-ga-990fxa-series-owners-thread-club

From Email from Gigabyte:
"GIGABYTE 990 series motherboards strictly follow the AMD AM3+ load line calibration design guide, and so CPU V-core voltage will drop according to loading. Such calibrations are built into the platform to protect the user’s purchase and prevent damage to the PC system"
Edited by Sin0822 - 7/7/11 at 2:42pm

That is why the CPU_LLC is such a freeken mess and MIGHT by pure trial and error on an earlier bios, do a little better.

One of the problems here is that I started following that long thread above before the posts reached 5,000 and now when I go back I found there are 5,000 more added. They go thru the deal with the Rev 3.0 boards and what a freeken disaster that was for many users wishing to overclock with stability. And finally they got to the Rev 4.0 of some of the boards that Gigabyte did finally revise to.

Just about any of the headaches found with the Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards in the 990FX series of boards is HIT-ON within those many posts.

I am not sure you feel flexible enough and maybe skilled enough to do the bios flashing but if you go to the first page of that long thread at OCN there are many tutorials on bios flashing but not links to the older bioses. You might read thru that thread and find one of those guys that saved an older bios like the F6c and get them to mail it to you and then flash it and maybe do some better with that particular bios.

I admit to having not read much of the LAST 1,000 or so posts and that is because no way I cared to listen to Rev 3.0 crying. But you might see that a bios 'later' than the one on your board does work better. The later bioses are easier to find.

By the way posts on PAGE #44 has a perfect description of your voltage issue when you raise it to anything above 1.38Vish or thereabouts. It is not new as a problem.

I have fought with boards like you now own in the past and have found that nothing but sitting at the keyboard and testing this setting and then this setting and back and forth, was the ONLY way to get anywhere. Crappy boards do not have a do A and B and C is the result. They are just not like that. Sorry.

Having the 1,000s of hours tweaking 100s of boards, I could like get that UD7 to pay a little better attention than it is, but it is nearly impossible to do so from a keyboard. Too many variables that must be seen one end and related at the other with clarity.

I used to tweak a buds rig by phone and his cpu was better than mine and he always edged me out in benches most of the time. But the tweaking was done by phone with him making the exact changes as I spoke them. That man is tough. Really tough. The two parties have to be on the exact same wave length. Nothing he saw his end was without value including speed of boot or any oddity.

I say all this to day, you can get some results with your UD7 but you will have back-up and regroup and likely need to look seriously at older bios version or verify that a later bios than you have is in fact a positive move and even more of the same or backing up.

If you are just fed up...go read that long thread. There are many in there that were in your position and moved to other boards. Some lowered their expectations and got a little relief. Of course your time and efforts to do as you will. Better luck man.
RGone...ster.

The things being said in that thread (I just read some random posts) do sound very familiar. I don't feel al that comfortable flashing my BIOS ten times hoping for better results that might not come. I might try a much lower overclock later (the 4.3Ghz setting that I got stable suddenly isn't stable anymore either), or I might just use this board and CPU at stock until something breaks or it won't do for gaming anymore.
Either way, many thanks for the information and help, I really appreciate it. Even if it didn't work out the way I hoped I did learn a whole lot about how computers work, and how they don't work.

Back