• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD 6300 FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mrlifeguard

Registered
Hello everybody,i have this system and i'd like to o/c my cpu and ram if possible.

My system setup:

Mobo: MSI 760GA-P43 (FX) (MS-7699) 1.0 - (Bios V1.3)
Cpu & Cooler: AMD 6300 FX & Corsair H80i
Ram: 2x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vangeance (CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9) + 1x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vangeance (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 750W Full Modular
Vga: Sapphire 7970 reference(flashed Ghz Edition bios,running 1050/1500)
Ssd: Adata 64gb xpg sx900
Hdd: 1T WD + 512gb WD
O/s: Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Case: Zalman Z5

I'm just worried that my Mobo is not much capable of O/C.So,i'm waiting for your help...

Greetings from Greece! :)

Overclocking on that motherboard is a bad idea. The power section isn't built to handle the extra stress.

I had the same thought in my mind...So,do you suggest on waiting until i make an upgrade?And if so,which one should i pick? Not very expensive please...

The cheapest board I would overclock an FX CPU on is the GA-970A-UD3P

Ok,i had a look...What about this one Gigabyte 970A-DS3P?Cause is about 25 euros cheaper...

The cheapest least expensive board I would overclock an FX CPU on is the GA-970A-UD3P
Fixed that for you Atmin ;)

Mrlifeguard, Cheap + overclocking + Fx 6xxx/8xxx processors do not go hand in hand. These chips require a stout Vrm section in order to supply the processor with ample and clean voltage the processor will need when overclocked. I agree with Atmin on his suggestion on the 970 UD3 as your least expensive choice if wanting to OC. If you go with a lesser board you run the risk of either not being able to Oc or pushing the board too hard and having it fail. The latter may take other components along with it and then becomes a more expensive choice.

It is becoming too hard to keep up with Gigabyte and their...

...and their changing of their AM3+ motherboards. The 970-UD3 board is shown on the website as last Revision 3.0 and was a real pain. Then Giga released the 970-UD3P to replace it and now just looking at the Giga website it shows even that nearly new 970-UD3P is in Rev 2.0. Just copied from the website.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5194#ov
GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 2.0) rev. 1.0

That is link to the Rev 2.0 of 970-UD3P. Why there is so much changing of that entry level 970 chipset motherboard is not known. Cannot tell from the website what has again been changed on the motherboard. We had begun to think the 970-UD3P in Rev 1.0 might be at least a decent motherboard and now it is already moved to Rev 2.0. Historically when Gigabyte has released a later revision of the 970 chipset board it has gotten worse not better over the last year and a half. Who knows what is for real now?

Such actions are the reasons we have not had very many recommendations for the Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards. There is very little way to keep up with what is happening with the Giga AM3+ motherboards in the sense of use by real users and how they have done with certain boards.

The truth of the matter is that those of us that are in here helping most of the time with AMD FX processors do not own a Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard and likely will not. You cannot depend on how the boards will function in hard use for a 4.5 GHz overclock on a day in and day out basis.

If one just has to buy a "cheap" motherboard and think to run it with a 6 core or 8 core AMD FX processor, they do so at their own presumption. We don't suggest cheap boards when one intends to overclock an FX processor to even try to keep up with an Intel processor. Cheap motherboards and FX 6 and 8 core processors should not appear in the same sentence or thought. That is the best that the actual reality can be stated after nearly 3.5 years of dealing with FX processor day in and day out right here in this forum.

RGone...

RGone, if you look at the board layout you'll see that a lot of the changes for Rev 2 are simply improvements to the audio section.

Thanks ATMINSIDE. Having worked for a motherboard manufacturer, I know newer revisions are not often released unless a pretty serious issue must be addressed. It costs to tool up for any revision. It is normally not done so close after the release of a previous revision. Just costly unless felt to be really necessary due something not good. Not usually anyway.

Again thanks for the heads-up. Just too many changes to stay really current with reality.
RGone...

RGone, if you look at the board layout you'll see that a lot of the changes for Rev 2 are simply improvements to the audio section.

So,any suggestion on a good mobo to support high o/c except of the gigabyte mentioned above?Around 100 euros...

Put a link to the place where you buy in your country. Link to the mobo page itself since the motherboard names are usually in English.

RGone...

EDIT:
This is a new mobo from Asrock. Know nothing about it but looks okay on paper.

Fatal1ty 970 Performance

END EDIT.

Last edited:
Probably the three better boards I see at that site for use with FX-6300 6 core and have some success also with an 8 core FX processor.

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 106,61 € 6 + 2 VRM. But we know this board.

Asrock Fatal1ty 970 Performance 119,00 € 8 + 2 VRM. Unknown board right now. But looks d*mn good looking at in on paper.

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P 86,91 € 8 + 2 VRM. Just sick of the problems some users are having right now by that the bios is very strange with settings that must be on for something else to work that you do not expect to have to enable.

RGone...

So,you suggest Asus or Asrock...No,i don't know about Asus,i don't have many knowledges on hardware :-( .

I guess i have to go for the Asus,since it's a well known mobo (at least to you :p ).I searched a little bit for the asrock and i didn't find any reviews cause it's new i think.So,i'll order that one and when i place it i'll write again here to help me.Thanx everybody!

Sorry for my english.

Back