• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Overclocking AMD A8-3870k on Asus F1A75-V Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hax0red

Ok so I have just realized I have a bottleneck, the fsb! When I first got this motherboard I followed some suggestions like 130-135 fsb and 26-27 on cpu multiplier but any setting over 100 with my 1866 ram would blue screen. I would try to set fsb multiplier to keep the ram with an option to select near 1866 but always under since it seems to auto adjust on the asus bios. I decided to creep up from 100 and have made it to 105 fsb and 34 on cpu multiplier(3464hz) and it runs great! picked up 3,000 in 3d mark with just the fsb change and lowering cpu 50hz and lowering memory 160hz.

So it seems I have a bottleneck? Any suggestions for getting 130-135 like some claim? I have a feeling my 8GB 1866hz corsair memory might be a tad unstable...always blue screens when I try to overclock it more then 20hz and even blue screens underclocked but I might not understand how to properly adjust memory...admittedly. Edit: Solution is to update bios settings to IDE vs AHCI and reinstall windows with IDE enabled. AHCI caused my setup to boot loop at the windows splash screen with anything over 106 on the fsb no matter the memory setting. Some get 110 on the fsb with AHCI but I only got 106 so it does vary to some degree and although I did get 106 it was stable at more like 104.

Update: Added a Corsair H80 water cooler to the CPU. I went back and started a fresh overclock of the system while testing the CPU's ability to overclock. I set the fsb to 100, ram at 1866mhz standard voltage and timings but it's looking like a wall around 3.8ghz still. I have the highest 3d mark 05 score which isn't promising(was hoping to have more to shoot for) but I haven't checked 3dmark 11 yet.

I Added some pictures to give everyone an idea of exactly whats going on. The vcore voltage is high at 1.53 and can be lowered but 22C at idle seems ideal for going up another 100 or 200 mhz but something is giving up.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5461176

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,903
  • cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,035
  • memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 948
  • mb.jpg
    mb.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 936
  • gpu.jpg
    gpu.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 951
  • aisuite.jpg
    aisuite.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:
You really need to be a little more descriptive about your system. Exactly 'what' ram are you using. Brand/model number/ and amount? What timings? What cpu cooler?

You really need to be a little more descriptive about your system. Exactly 'what' ram are you using. Brand/model number/ and amount? What timings? What cpu cooler?

Corsair, Vengeance CMZ8GBGX3M2A1866C9, 2 x 4GB, 9-10-9-27 and stock CPU cooler with AC duct piped into computer (i have a small unit in spare bedroom thats set to run continuously) so my temps are always under 60C on the CPU and closer to 50C on GPU (sapphire hd 7870 ghz edition overclocked @ 1154 core and 1325 on memory). Power supply is a pos ultra 600 watt so I probably need to replace this to get a more consistent voltage I'm just thinking now the ram might not be the best for overclocking, I know the CL isn't great.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Think I just figured out how to set the fsb. Should I shoot for the frequencies shown in CPU-Z *2 of course? I just realized it tells me a few different timings for 4 diffrent frequencies so I'm gonna try this.

Sorry for being such a newb, I have always figured writing software was the hard part of computers but there are a lot of variables that have my mind going in circles when buying, building and setting up a PC for the first time.

Last edited:
Think I just figured out how to set the fsb. Should I shoot for the frequencies shown in CPU-Z *2 of course? I just realized it tells me a few different timings for 4 diffrent frequencies so I'm gonna try this.

Sorry for being such a newb, I have always figured writing software was the hard part of computers but there are a lot of variables that have my mind going in circles when buying, building and setting up a PC for the first time.

Nope, still crashing with anything over 106 on the fsb.

I have been searching the net for info on the 3870k but it's rare. THe 3850 has a lot more information but it really doesn't translate well since it had no cpu multiplier. I did find someone mentioning that AHCI mode was cutting out at 110 on the FSB with the 3850's so I'm going to update my bios to IDE then install a second copy of windows on another drive in IDE mode. Sure could use someone who knows something about the 3870k...lol.

Thanks Rgone, looks like the same info I found on the 7850. I went ahead and partitioned a drive for a second copy of windows 7 installed with IDE mode on. I now can boot with a higher fsb then 106. So for anyone in the future, reinstall with IDE mode enabled not AHCI.

Now I'm off to test if AHCI vs IDE is going to affect my games FPS, I know it will affect my transfer speeds. Edit: 135 fsb with memory at 1800hz! Going to see how far I can overclock this memory now that I understand the timings.

Last edited:
I picked up 4,000 points in 3dmark 05 with fsb and cpu overclock!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5460994

This is my best bench so far with the fsb at 116 and memory at 1840mhz. When I clock the fsb to 135 or 140 it scores much lower and I end up having to run the memory around 1600mhz which costs more performance then it gains so 115 range seems ideal.

I noticed the memory seems to become unstable with the higher fsb or maybe it's just the added heat that taxes the CPU and finally causes it to overheat and bsod. Will order a H100 and see what she will really do.

Once I'm done tinkering I think an i5-2500k or i5-3570k is in order since I see improvements in FPS with CPU tweaks. I also plan to run a second 7870 once the price drops a little more and crossfire drivers mature.

My local compusa had a corsair H80 for $90 so I picked one up today to test. It seems like the CPU and fsb both overclocked causes the chip to get heat soaked and the memory to become unstable at higher speeds but the water cooler helped!

I did another run with everything stock except for CPU multiplier set to 36, vcore at 1.51v(maybe a little high but I plan to keep going on multiplier anyways) fsb at 100, ram at 1866 (stock) with stock timings which are pretty loose compared to what I had and the H80 set to 100%. I picked up another 1,000 points! that's 2,000 points total for 130mhz! lol. Great returns, FPS went up in some places 1 to 8FPS higher!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm05/5461061

Hey "hax0red" do a good complete signature man so that others can see *what* you are using to get your goodness. You might even go back into your first post and at the beginning of the titile put [SOLVED] so that users can search for your APU and see solved and get to some goodness.

Describe also as much of what you have done so they get some clues. You are only about the 21st user posting APU stuff in the cpu section and we thank you for that. RGone...ster.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

Hey "hax0red" do a good complete signature man so that others can see *what* you are using to get your goodness. You might even go back into your first post and at the beginning of the titile put [SOLVED] so that users can search for your APU and see solved and get to some goodness.

Describe also as much of what you have done so they get some clues. You are only about the 21st user posting APU stuff in the cpu section and we thank you for that. RGone...ster.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

I updated my signature and original post to show the original problem solved. Once I come to a final conclusion of this processor I will redo the original post.

My latest issue is I can't seem to get it to run well at all @ 3.8ghz even though the temps are low. I think the chip is becoming unstable like some say over 45C at higher clocks? I have tried ice in front of cooler to drop temps further but it wont even post at 3900 no matter the voltage (1.47-1.7) and has an issue with resetting to 3300 on it's own?

Last edited:
Well after a few more days I have realized three things. Although I have booted at 3840 mhz, getting a stable 3.8ghz might be impossible according to: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...5-UD4H-LN2-overclocking-by-froxic-(WRs-inside)

My ram sucks compared to the above review getting 2.8ghz out of the GEIL brand and I noticed it's the 2048 sticks, another lesson learned.

Finally, the quality of this H80 has been terrible. One of the fan outputs from the water pump unit quit putting out current so one of the fans was off. I plugged both into the mobo for now but it's loud lol. I also have the pump rattle that occurred first by just letting the machine run overnight but I have noticed just tapping the pump or even turning the machine on it's side will cause the pump to start rattling until you tap it or turn the pump off and on again. Finally, the molex connector is terrible and the pins push right out the back of the connector.

Now I get to wait until saturday when I got some time to try and exchange it at compusa but after reading some it looks like they are strict about returns and might give me a hard time. Sure hope not for their sake, I feel robbed lol.

Not familiar with the H80. Is the fan controller on the part you mount down 'onto' the mobo? The cpu sink in other words? If that is the situation, for sure they need to replace the entire H80 and should. I would likely make no mention of the rattle since that could imply you ran it out of coolant. See what I mean? I know you did not run without coolant but if they are looking for reasons to deny warranty...well the controller not putting out for all fans is enough to justify a warranty.

In the end you can still go to Corsair for some warranty relief. Good luck man and be well. RGone...ster.

Yes RGone if the controler is the same as what is on the H100, pretty sure it is then the fan controller is built into the CPU block and should be covered under waranty. I dont know what CompUSA 's return pollicy is but if it is anything like Canada Computers, 15 days afterthat you deal with the manufacturer.

Hope all works out for you haxOred.

Back