• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Amd anthlon 5600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

outseek

Registered
Hello everyone Im new here and Im about to overclock my cpu but I have some questions.

First of all here's my system specs.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x 2 5600+ 2.80 ghz

Ram: 5gb

64bit os windows vista

MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) motherboard

This is a computer that was going to be thrown away but i ended up salvaging it by upgrading the CPU and graphics card plus ram.

Now Ive been able to game pretty ok with what I got but I just bought watch dogs for pc and that really test the limits of my comp. I have to run everything on low and Im able to play but I get lag spikes her and there still.

So I thought well Ill overclock my CPU from 2.80 to atleast 3.0 maybe 3.1

But before I do so I came here to get a lil more info and recommendations. I read some other forums where they mentioned Brisbane or Windsor. How am I able to tell which one I have? I know if its brisbane i should be fine but windsor is a guaranteed bsod. Can some one help me identify if my processor is Brisbane or windsor? Also any other recommendations are welcomed :)

To find out what core your processor has (Brisbane? Windsor? Barcelona?, etc.) then download and install a free program called CPU-z. It opens to the CPU tab by default and there you will find the information.

To overclock the CPU the motherboard's bios would need to offer settings to change frequencies and voltages. Since it appears to be an HP OEM motherboard I would assume it does not. Normally, the mass computer producers purposely leave those things out in their bioses.

To overclock the CPU the motherboard's bios would need to offer settings to change frequencies and voltages. Since it appears to be an HP OEM motherboard I would assume it does not. Normally, the mass computer producers purposely leave those things out in their bioses.

Is there a way around this maybe a program or something that would allow me to overclock?

Well I found out Im using Windsor so it doesnt matter either way. I guess Ill stick to my original plan which is upgrading my motherboard and cpu. Thanks for the quick response and help Trents.

Well I found out Im using Windsor so it doesnt matter either way. I guess Ill stick to my original plan which is upgrading my motherboard and cpu. Thanks for the quick response and help Trents.

You can check out "clockgen" but I've never had any success with it and I'm not sure it's available anymore. There is also something called "SetFSB" but I've never used it. They would only afford a slight overclock anyway if they worked at all. Not really enough to impact your gaming performance.

Back