• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD Phenom 960t BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twofatslugs

Hiya, I'm interested in overclocking my AMD Phenom 960t Black Edition and am wondering on what a perfect, and optimal overclock for gaming performance would be.
My tech specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom 960t BE (3.0GHz)
Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC Edition (2GB)
12GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
XFX Pro 550w PSU
MSI 870a-G54 Motherboard

I'm wondering what the highest OC achievable is on this system, and what would be the best for gaming at. This is slightly due to the fact that I think my CPU is bottlenecking my Graphics card, I seem to be pulling on average 40fps in most games on high, which doesn't make sense to me. Unless that is what I should be getting.

I'm relatively new to Overclocking, I've fiddled around with AMD Overdrive just because I found it easier to use and less scary looking than the bios:-/

Thanks in advance!

Hiya, I'm interested in overclocking my AMD Phenom 960t Black Edition and am wondering on what a perfect, and optimal overclock for gaming performance would be.
My tech specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom 960t BE (3.0GHz)
Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC Edition (2GB)
12GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
XFX Pro 550w PSU
MSI 870a-G54 Motherboard

I'm wondering what the highest OC achievable is on this system, and what would be the best for gaming at. This is slightly due to the fact that I think my CPU is bottlenecking my Graphics card, I seem to be pulling on average 40fps in most games on high, which doesn't make sense to me. Unless that is what I should be getting.

I'm relatively new to Overclocking, I've fiddled around with AMD Overdrive just because I found it easier to use and less scary looking than the bios:-/

Thanks in advance!

well... overclocking is mostly about trial and error. there is no way to guess what types of overclocks your cpu will achieve and what settings you'll need to set to make it happen.

So...

my answer comes in 2 parts.

1) educate yourself... this thread was invaluable for me to learn how the PhII overclocks
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023
not many better guides out there. this will give you a place to start...

2) trial and error. you're gonna have to try yourself, play with the settings, and refer back to that guide as you learn more about how your system responds to the overclocking.

some baselines though to remember.
1) the PhII shouldn't ever be over 55C... though there is some debate on this point generally speaking from 55C-62C the PhII starts to have errors, blue screen crashes and lockups... over 62C you risk damaging your cpu. So when you stress test the cpu (using prime95, or some other stress test to make sure it's a stable overclock), keep a keen eye on the temps.
2) Generally speaking, you want to only play with Voltages when the system becomes unstable. overvoltage can be as harmful as undervolting.
3) take it slow. small overclocks, small steps. make sure it's stable then take it the next step.
4) there will come a point where small bumps in voltages will no longer work for stabilizing the system with your progressively higher overclocks. At that point you'll generally find voltages will need to increase nearly exponentially to get the next "step" in your overclock and stabilize the system. once this happens you're near the end of the line for your overclocking, unless you have a badass cpu cooler. and even then there will be a limit to how far you can take it (as increased voltages will mean increased temps)
5) don't forget your ram. there will probably come a point where, though temps are fine and voltages aren't really being played with much, your overclock will seem to hit a wall. It stumped me when this happened... though I knew it was the ram that was unstable from the BSOD messages i was getting, I couldn't figure out the problem. Ram settings matter... as do voltages to your ram. from time to time in your overclocking you might need to play with the ram's timing/voltages/speed to stabilize the system.
6) the types of crashes you have can tell you something, in my experience...
-Freezes/Black screens = not enough voltage to the cpu, same with reboots with no bsod or programs crashing to the desktop
-blue screens = ram issues (either ram instability, or not a fast enough HT/NB setting or voltages or something)
*understand this is "generally speaking"...

Last edited:
Th best for gaming will be something like 3.6 GHz, but more would be good too. At 3.6GHz it shouldn't bottelneck at all.

Awesome, thank you for these swift replies. I'll check out your links to educate myself.
I've tried it at 3.6Ghz using AMD Overdrive, maybe I did something wrong, but it still gave me laggy performance.
The last time I did try trial and error, I went up to 4.0GHz, my PC had a BSOD and one of my RAM sticks died:-/
What kind of performance should I be achieving with my processor at say, 3.8GHz?
I forgot to mention, cooling shouldn't be an issue due to the fact that I recently bought a Coolermaster Hyper 212.

Awesome, thank you for these swift replies. I'll check out your links to educate myself.
I've tried it at 3.6Ghz using AMD Overdrive, maybe I did something wrong, but it still gave me laggy performance.
The last time I did try trial and error, I went up to 4.0GHz, my PC had a BSOD and one of my RAM sticks died:-/
What kind of performance should I be achieving with my processor at say, 3.8GHz?
I forgot to mention, cooling shouldn't be an issue due to the fact that I recently bought a Coolermaster Hyper 212.

Just to be sure you should check how does your CPU and GPU create frames. I don't know how to do it in any other game than BF3. In BF3 (if you own it) you have to click ~ thing over tab, write those 2 commands:
render.perfoverlayenable 1
render.perfoverlayvisible 1
And to check your FPS:
render.drawfps 1
Those commands will show a box on the left corner - if everything is ok you should get both CPU and GPU on the same line, not literally but it should be close to themselves. You can post screenshots so we can check it.
Also depends what games are you playing at, if those are games that use up to 2 cores you can set your processor in BIOS to use only 2 cores and by that you can overclock way more. (this will slow down your system in general)

Last edited:
Your in luck, you've got AMD's flagship architecture when it comes to Phenom II technology. The Zosma core has a better IMC than any of the Denab X4s, which may permit superior and more reliable NB overclocking capabilities. If you do some searches here you can find out how this will have an impact on memory performance as well as CPU level 3 cache performance, so this could be optimal given the hardware you are working with.

azanimefan has some good advice and also you may be able to net 3.8-4.0ghz or higher from the CPU clock if settings are adjusted in the BIOS only. I would recommend against windows overclocking (AMD overdrive) as it tends to cause some reliability concerns. I'd recommend learning what types of features your motherboard has for overclocking and then looking up the critical terms or settings you will be working with to achieve the optimal overclock. Good luck!

In response to VeimiK here is a screenshot of BF3 with the following details at stock CPU settings:
http://gyazo.com/b3f94eff2fc54c3d5ea8d9262d2172f2
(Settings were all on "High" preset)

The lines look pretty close together. I'm currently reading up on the guides that have been linked by azanimefan and Johan45.

Thanks for swift replies, I hope that this information will help me reach my goal of confident overclocking:D

EDIT: In some cases the lines are directly over eachother, I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing.

Well, they are pretty good but you can see that GPU is below CPU - it means that it is bottlenecking, but not so much so you can overclock your CPU a bit and it will be all good. You can even see by AVG there, for CPU it's 2 points more (less = better)
So overclock it just a little bit, check again and show us the screenshot so we can check it :)

Ok, well, I went to 3.4GHz to see if they got any closer together. But, instead of getting closer, they got further away.
http://gyazo.com/943858941f53db5f0a18525e6d16d94f

However, in some areas it varies, it can be as little as 0.5 difference, but on average its a big difference.
I tried it at 3.2GHz, and 3.6GHz, they both gave me results that have around a 5-6 difference.

Damn, there's something wrong for sure. What about tempretarues? It seems like your whole system is going like a madcow

@edit
Try it on 32 players server, it may be caused by that - BF3 on 64 players is for ultra-mega-high-end PCs.

Last edited:
When my system is Idle, or just running programmes like Google Chrome, or watching videos, its about 25 degrees.
When overclocked and under full load, my system reaches a maximum of 40 degrees, but usually stays at 35 constantly.
http://gyazo.com/00ac5a01a3862f040e6798b01eb78d77
On a 32 player server, at 3.4GHz I'm looking at a 4 difference.

It looks better now. It's going mad anyways in term of CPU, but I've got the same problem and I can't see it at all. If its smooth enough then it's good, but if it freezes for like 0.5 seconds or so you should overclock a bit more.

I don't really know what FPS I would expecting with my rig, it's usually 45 FPS in long sight lines on BF3 and in tight areas its around 60.

Anyway, I'll keep going with the overclocking and see if this is an issue with bottlenecking.
It could be a hardware issue for all I know.

My old Radeon 6850 ran smoother on BF3 w/ my processor than my 7850:-/

twofatslugs,

If you would take some digital pics of your bios sections that deal with oveclocking (frequencies and voltages) and then attach them (attached, not linked) with your post it would be much easier for you and for us to help you overclock. We need to see what you see in your bios so that we are dealing with the same terminology. Don't use AMDOD to overclock. It's buggy. Use the manual controls in bios.

To attach pics with the built in forum tool:

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc if it includes surrounding irrelevant desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back and add more later if necessary.

My old Radeon 6850 ran smoother on BF3 w/ my processor than my 7850:-/

I had the same issue but with going from Radeon 5850 to GTX 660 - what I did is i have overclocked my CPU from 2.6 to 3.3GHz - it still bottlenecks, but i can't really see it. The point is that i'm running it @ 95 deegres at prime95 and 85 deegres at BF3 so I can't check if it will bootleneck after more overclocking.

With good cooling (good aftermarket CPU cooler and good case ventilation), good low ripple PSU and a quality motherboard the X4 965 BE can commonly be overclocked to 4.0-4.1 ghz. In the present scenario, the MSI motherboard being employed raises question marks as far as overclocking.

Slugs, tell us about your case. Make and model? How many intake and how many exhaust fans and how big are they?

Also, I'm wondering about the "12 gb of Corsair DDR3 ram"? What is the frequency rating of the ram? And why 12 gb? That's more than you need for gaming. Are you into Photoshop or something? Larger amounts of ram place extra strain on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the CPU and can have a negative effect on overclocking. The Deneb core IMC is not very stout anyway and struggles sometime to run even 8 gb of ram at 1600 mhz. Also, how is the 12 gb configured? Is it 2x4 gb + 2x2 gb or is it one 8 gb stick + one 4 gb stick or 1 4 gb + 1 8 gb?

Last edited:
Back