• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Escapades: socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo (E6)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Going into this one I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

My experience with socket 939 AMD dual cores is somewhat limited since the only overclocking and benchmarking I've done has been with the Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester (E4) and Toledo (E6). I knew the Manchester topped out at 2.8GHz with about 1.6V going to the CPU, but wasn't fully stable at that speed. The Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo (E6) on the other hand reached its limit at 3.1GHz with 1.62V, this chip is a great overclocker and runs nice and stable at 3GHz with a relatively low voltage of 1.5V

So, I did know that the Toledo was a good performer in the 4200+ rated CPU. I hoped this would hold true with the Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo as well and I could get some good results.

I figured I would give the CPU an easy task first and so I started my testing by raising the FSB to set the CPU speed to 2.6GHz and bumped up the vCore to 1.375V to give me right around 1.34-1.35V after Vdroop so that I'd be at the stock voltage. So, I booted the system up and got right into the OS without any problems. Ran some tests with PiFast, SuperPi 1m, UCBench 2011, and wPrime 32m, and it completed all tests without any problems. Then I did a 15-20 minute run of Prime95, which it completed without any errors or warnings.

Next stop was 2.7GHz at the same settings, again there were no problems.

Finally, I decided to go for 2.8GHz while still at the stock voltage, I figured if any speed wouldn't be able to run on stock voltage with a 2.2GHz chip this would be it. I went into the bios, increased the FSB, lowered the memory multiplier, and rebooted. Much to my amazement as well as to my delight the system booted into the OS without any problems. So I fired up HWMonitor to go check the temps, they were still around 23-27°C. Then I ran SuperPi 1m, since usually if an overclock is unstable this program is the quickest to bring the problem to the surface. It completed without any issue, so I moved on to the rest of my chosen benchmarks, PiFast, UCBench 2011, and wPrime 32m, all of which were completed without any errors of any kind. After this, I moved on to a run of Prime95 for another 15-20 minutes, and again it completed without any errors or warnings.

I have encountered one peculiar issue though, Core 0 runs much hotter than Core 1. Under load Core 0 hits 48-52°C while Core 1 is at 36-39°C. I'm not sure if this is due to a bad mount, variances between the cores that are there due to a design flaw in the attachment of the IHS, or perhaps the heatsink I am using is not completely flat.

This is as far as my testing has gotten so far.

I am now entering phase two of my testing, actually running benchmarks and submitting results.

Also, I found that it would run at 2.9GHz with 1.34V, but it wasn't at all stable. Just barely stable enough to get a screen shot, and upload a CPU-Z validation.

I'm now up to about 1.45V to be able to run benchmarks at 2.9GHz (just UCBench so far).

Just put 1.6v into it and go from there, :shock: I normaly do and the 939's are pretty good at holding the vcore :chair:

I may have to find me a 4400+ and have a play (if I get time) I love messing with the old stuff, its lots more fun than the new gen gear, plus, if you blow something (bar the board) its relatively cheap to replace. Go 939 woot woot.

I have encountered one peculiar issue though, Core 0 runs much hotter than Core 1. Under load Core 0 hits 48-52°C while Core 1 is at 36-39°C.
I have found on my 4400+ that my temps very dramatically also, between the two cores, though I haven't overclocked my as high as you are pushing yours, yet. :)

I have lot of 939 cpus but no good board for sub zero. All DFI have cold bug so results are about the same on TRUE as on SS cooling.
From what I see, best 939 boards for memory overclocking are usually worst for max cpu clock.

I have lot of 939 cpus but no good board for sub zero. All DFI have cold bug so results are about the same on TRUE as on SS cooling.
From what I see, best 939 boards for memory overclocking are usually worst for max cpu clock.

I have had two 939 boards and they have both been a real pain to use and so temperamental and picky about what settings work etc etc, my DFI board only lasted 2 days and just died and now I have a abit nf4 ultra which is just as bad and will work fine at one setting one day and won't post the next day at the same settings :mad: gotta love old tech ....

In the past I made at least 5 RMA for 939 DFI boards. Some months ago I bought one for benching, pwn just blew up when cpu was on higher voltage. Now I have one more as guy was selling it with A64 3800+x2 for the board's price only but again there is cold bug not much below 0*C.
I also have A8N-SLI and I will probably make some vmods soon, just waiting for some VR that I ordered today. ASUS isn't best for memory clocking but has no cold bug so after mods it should make some higher clocks.

Hooray for $5 chips! :D Nice work, man!
Hell yeah!

More fun when the benching can be done cheaper. Makes me feel better too, knowing that if I kill the chip in the process at least it didn't cost me much. :)

I think this one runs a little better than my previous 4400+ X2, it liked to overheat all the time, I haven't had that issue with the new one though.

Thanks man. :thup:

Well, this one's maxed out.

Can't get above 3058MHz stable.

Will run at 3.1GHz, but it's not stable and can't complete any benchmarks.

Getting really cruddy SuperPi 1m results for some reason, can't get below 30s, and best team submission is 4s faster than I can go. :(

I think my problems are heat related though, as I'm idling around 44-45°C at 3.1GHz.

Back