• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Escapades: socket AM3 Sempron 145 Sargas (Regor)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fairly impressive CPU to be honest. I've got it at 3.8GHz with 1.34V, which is a 1GHz overclock at stock voltage.

Still only on a single core, but impressive nonetheless.

I feel like I'm overclocking an Intel Core 2 Duo for some reason, it just behaves very similarly in the overclocking. It's doing a lot better than the Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition I tested a while back, in terms of the voltage required for the overclock and temperature under load and at idle. The Phenom II X4 still trounces it in terms of overall performance no doubt, but I'm having more fun overclocking this one.

Fairly impressive CPU to be honest. I've got it at 3.8GHz with 1.34V, which is a 1GHz overclock at stock voltage.

Still only on a single core, but impressive nonetheless.

It's doing a lot better than the Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition I tested a while back, in terms of the voltage required for the overclock and temperature under load and at idle.

The voltage requirements will vary from each cpu and each core on each cpu. Since there's voltage being used on 4 cores, and each one may like a different clock speed at x voltage and you may see people overclock Phenom II individually at the cores for that reason. Often times it seems the 3rd core or core #2 has the most issues, at least from any experience I've had, the core would be at least 200mhz slower than core #0 in terms of multi core overclocking.

I'm interested to see what it takes for this sempron to run 4ghz plus. :popcorn:

Well, it seems I've found this CPU's maximum with ambient cooling, 4.3GHz as a single core.

It takes a lot of voltage to get it there though, and 1.57V isn't really something I'd be comfortable with for a daily overclock.

Personally, if I were running this in a 24/7 rig I'd put it at 4GHz max as 1.4V isn't bad, and the voltage requirements take a huge leap beyond that point. Still, a 1.2GHz overclock isn't bad, and I don't think the extra 300MHz at 4.3GHz would provide any noticeable speed boost or performance increase.

I'll have to look into unlocking the second core to see if I can get any extra performance out of it with my Asus M4N98TD EVO board, since unlocking with my Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P doesn't appear to be working.

4.3GHz would provide any noticeable speed boost or performance increase.

If we where going from 3.8ghz to 4.3ghz I think it would be noticeable. And the voltage Under 1.6v is pretty good IMO Tech-T.

while most may be uncomfortable with running 1.6v and beyond, from a cooling standpoint.... Keep that puppy under 50c it may not be that big of a deal. It's a cheap to replace processor.

But never the less nice OC! Got any eye candies for us?

If we where going from 3.8ghz to 4.3ghz I think it would be noticeable. And the voltage Under 1.6v is pretty good IMO Tech-T.

while most may be uncomfortable with running 1.6v and beyond, from a cooling standpoint.... Keep that puppy under 50c it may not be that big of a deal. It's a cheap to replace processor.

But never the less nice OC! Got any eye candies for us?

Yes, I'd agree if it were going from 3.8GHz to 4.3GHz there would probably be a noticeable difference. But from 4GHz to 4.3GHz, probably not much of one.

Temperatures with this CPU are most definitely not an issue, at least with a massive cooler in place, the highest I've seen has been maybe 38°C.

Here it is set up on the test bench:
DSCN3236.JPG

Screenshot:
Sempron 145 load temps.jpg

Last edited:
Any increase beyond 200mhz should be somewhat noticeable, most benchamrks rely on that Cpu speed increase, gaming... not so much.

Thanks for the PIC! looks good!

If you hit the max, can I ask about chilling? Is there a DICE pot in the house, perhaps a bucket of ice water at least?

how in depth does the TECHTWEAKER go, I often ask myself while reading many of your OC Excapades, these are often my favorite to read in this forum! I mean that whole heartedly!!

But is sub zero a thing you do??? If not, are you interested?

Here's some of my escapades with a 140 S_B with my cold water. http://url.hwbot.org/1p37H3d I was concentrating on cinebench for the team cup. With luck I'll have some DICE results next weekend.

Any increase beyond 200mhz should be somewhat noticeable, most benchamrks rely on that Cpu speed increase, gaming... not so much.

Thanks for the PIC! looks good!

If you hit the max, can I ask about chilling? Is there a DICE pot in the house, perhaps a bucket of ice water at least?

how in depth does the TECH TWEAKER go, I often ask myself while reading many of your OC Excapades, these are often my favorite to read in this forum! I mean that whole heartedly!!

But is sub zero a thing you do??? If not, are you interested?

Well, I was speaking more from a daily use perspective about potential performance increases.

No, I don't own a DICE pot or an LN2 pot. Also don't have any water blocks, WC tubing, radiators, or fittings.

Sub-Ambient and Sub-Zero are uncharted territory for me. I've just never been able to afford all the materials to get set up for either.

I've been an air bencher so far, mainly because it's more easily affordable.

There's a first time for everything TT, this is my first time with something like this. It was just cold water up till now.

Well, I was speaking more from a daily use perspective about potential performance increases.

No, I don't own a DICE pot or an LN2 pot. Also don't have any water blocks, WC tubing, radiators, or fittings.

Sub-Ambient and Sub-Zero are uncharted territory for me. I've just never been able to afford all the materials to get set up for either.

I've been an air bencher so far, mainly because it's more easily affordable.

Nope nothing wrong with not having moneys for hardware, I totally have the same problem. Father of 3 you know lol.....

that being said, I would like to help you build a bench loop. HW is easy to come by if you ask the right people. plenty here to help, including myself. Heck I probably even have a waterblock you could have for practically nothing to set you forward beyond air cooling (if you so wish to at some point). And don't forget the bios offers for your boards. More than glad to help you out with that too as bios's are hard to find for some older boards especially with a proper OC mod.

Pump Res for 20$ http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Wate...57116?pt=US_Water_Cooling&hash=item58a7083d5c

Now at ebay. there are a few pumps similar to the one I just posted there in that link. Cheap enough for the bench, for daily... perhaps not the best choice. But to put you beyond air cooling clocks, this is the way to go without breaking off your arm to pay for it.

I actually have a 80x2 radiator. Also a 120.1 both not in use.... for sale dirt cheap to the right person. Also a waterblock.... Will do trades as well. All used stuff, cheap for the taking ;)

Bmaverick pumps are cheap too. I started with used WC parts. Much cheaper to get in. I probably have something I could throw in.

Well, couldn't get the second core to unlock with my Asus M4N98TD EVO either. When I tried to unlock it the system refused to boot up, so it seems the second core is really unstable and/or broken.

Oh well, I didn't know whether or not the second core would work or not when I bought it so I guess I got what I paid for. I was mainly looking for a single core for the Cinebench r11.5 stage in the team cup anyway.

Mine didn't either but sometimes it'll depend on which bios you're using.

You have a bunch of results in the team cup, TT. Should we line you up with some more extreme cooling? If you want to borrow anything for team cup there is a loaner pot or I can loan you water cooling stuff. Team cup has been extended through September, so there is plenty of time for improvements.

TT what type of cooling did you use to reach these clocks?

Edit: sorry missed the second page!:facepalm:

You have a bunch of results in the team cup, TT. Should we line you up with some more extreme cooling? If you want to borrow anything for team cup there is a loaner pot or I can loan you water cooling stuff. Team cup has been extended through September, so there is plenty of time for improvements.

I'd love to see Tech Jump from only air to a LN2 jug in the blink of an eye, Now THAT would be epic!!

Offer still stands Tech, My PM box awaits your guts or no glory.

Back