• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking failed, but why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HakunaBanana

Hi everyone. Today I tried to OC my Ryzen 7 1700 CPU through the BIOSfor the first time, but when I did, I lost the monitor signal and couldn't fix it until I resetted CMOS settings.
What I did was setting the CPU frequency to 3.7ghz and voltage to 1.2V. Aren't these number supposed to be safe? I would understand if the PC booted but wasnt stable. However it didnt even boot up until O resetted CMOS. What could be the reason for that? Bad PSU? Bad CPU? or something else? Thank you
(I have gtx 1080 as GPU and an 600W PSU that came prebuilt in my PC tower. Also motherboard is MSI B350 TOMAHAWK)

1.2v is not enough to boot at 3.7 ghz. Try 1.275 volts which is still very safe.

Thank you for your reply. Okay so let's say I tried to boot at 1.275 volt and it failed again. Would I be hurting my hardware in any way by repeatly doing this and resetting CMOS settings to get PC boot up again?

Thank you for your reply. Okay so let's say I tried to boot at 1.275 volt and it failed again. Would I be hurting my hardware in any way by repeatly doing this and resetting CMOS settings to get PC boot up again?
In most cases you will not be harming anything per se. At times if you repeatedly crash a setup trying to overclock you may have to re-install the OS. Though, most of the time it's only when trying to overclock the RAM.

Let me just say a couple of things. Trying to set a Oc and just guessing at voltage isn't exactly the best way to overclock. Second, you're voltage is good to around 1.35v all depending on your temps.

Just monitor temps with Ryzenmaster when stress testing. That will tell you if your voltage is too much for your cooling solution. At idle it won't be a problem.

Back