• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking fx6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boosteeddc

i just recently helped a friend build his computer, ive always worked with intels so this is the first time i built one with amd fx6100, we used a lil cooler master air cooler and idle temps are around 35-38, which seem kinda high from other temps ive seen, and with the m5a97 mobo bios we could only get it to as high as 4.0 ghz, now he would like to go higher since he does alot of work with his computer, and i cant oc it through amd control panel either, how do you guys go about overclocking this thing?

This way you will see what is required for anyone to be able to help very much and since they are links to already walked thru overclocks...alot of the stuff needs n0t be gone over again.

Besides those links that many speak to the FX-6100 most any FX overclocks the same way and his idle temps sound way too too high for getting beyond the 4.0Ghz you have reached already.

Searched for >> overclock + FX-6100 in the forum. This is link to those HITS.

With those FX-CPUs you would need to be concerned with these things when overclocking:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.
In bios, you will need to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

You will also need some software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95

With those FX-CPUs you would need to be concerned with these things when overclocking:

1. In bios, first disable: Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E and C6.
2. In Windows Control Panel Power Options configure it to High Performance.

These first two measures should disable all the "green" power saving stuff that cause erratic frequencies and voltages.
In bios, you will need to manipulate:
1. CPU core voltage
2. CPU multiplier
3. CPUNB voltage
4. CPUNB frequency (may be expressed as a multiplier)
5. And perhaps, memory voltage

If you can locate those controls in bios you will be off to a good start and we can advise more specifically with regard to their adjustment. The terminology you encounter in the particular bios you are working on may vary somewhat from what I have used so be aware of that.

You will also need some software tools: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95

ok so i didnt find that other post, it was my bad, but a bunch of people posted their settings in their post, which one of them should i start going with?

Best I could do with my 6100 and the m5a97 was 4.4ghz. Vcore was right at 1.55 but the temps were pushing the upper 60's with a Cooler Master 212+

4.2 is what I'm calling my limit on my setup. My voltages aren't too bad and my temps are around the mid 50's. (this was back during the winter)

Now that it's summer time I keep it at 4.0ghz because my voltages are lower and it'll top out at 50C max.

Even @ 4ghz I can keep my BOINC crunching while playing Diablo 3 with no problems at all.

Best I could do with my 6100 and the m5a97 was 4.4ghz. Vcore was right at 1.55 but the temps were pushing the upper 60's with a Cooler Master 212+

4.2 is what I'm calling my limit on my setup. My voltages aren't too bad and my temps are around the mid 50's. (this was back during the winter)

Now that it's summer time I keep it at 4.0ghz because my voltages are lower and it'll top out at 50C max.

Even @ 4ghz I can keep my BOINC crunching while playing Diablo 3 with no problems at all.

well temps are a bit high right now for this setup, but im going to get a h100 to cool it sometime this week before i start tuning the numbers

There is a good, long thread here in the forum with 'gnusounduave's' push of his FX-6100. You would have to have an awesome piece of silicon to do much more than he did with his FX-6100 and the same motherboard. He spent some time tweaking the h*ll out of it for not much more than a stable 4.4Ghz but in winter, so as he says he pulled it back so it stays stable and does not need so much voltage.

ok so i didnt find that other post, it was my bad, but a bunch of people posted their settings in their post, which one of them should i start going with?

The approach most experienced overclockers recommend is not to take someone else' bios values and plug them into your system. Every combination of components creates a different effect and the surest way to frustration or damaging components is to plug and play with someone else' numbers. What we recommend is starting with stock frequencies and voltages and making incremental changes, monitoring temps and testing for stability along the way.

I suggest that to start with you make no changes at all except to the CPU multiplier. Raise it in .5x increments until you cannot pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test and then add a small increment of CPU core voltage to restore stability. Then start increasing the multiplier in small increments again until you fail the test. Monitor for temps after each increase in core voltage. Repeat this process until your core temps reach high 50s c. Then run a longer Prime test, at least 2 hrs. to confirm stability. Adjust the multiplier down .5x if necessary or add a little core voltage to enable it to pass the long test.

By the way, I take back some of what I said in my earlier post. With the FX CPUs you probably don't need to mess with the CPUNB frequency or voltage. Sometimes it helps stability to add .025 - .05 volts to the memory, particularly if you are running it at its max rated frequency.

RGone is correct, I did do a long thread about pushing my 6100 back in Feb of this year. Feel free to look it up and have a look.

With that being said, Trents is giving you solid advice in saying not to take someone else' bios values and plug them into your system. So if you choose to read my little story read it for the sake of understanding what I did and why I did it.

I would also follow through with what Trents said by doing this in baby steps so you can learn along the way.

If you decide to follow through and want to see how far down the rabbit hole you can go, I'd be interested in seeing what you'll get with the 6100 and m5a97.

ok ill take sometime reading, and when i go pickup a h100 and go to his house ill start playing with it. goal is to go as high, and as safe as possible

Back