• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i5-8600k help :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vinztro

Registered
Hello, I recently tried to overclock my CPU, started at 4,5ghz and it was running, no crashes but it was quite unstable so I felt like I wanted to stabilize it, and made it even worse.

I have reset everything to default in the BIOS now.

Setup:

MB: - MSI Z370 Krait Gaming
CPU: -Intel i5 8600k
RAM: - Corsair Veagence LPX 16GB 3000mhz
CPU Cooler: -Corsair H115i
GPU:-MSI SeaHawk X 1080

I would like to know what you think would be the best overclocking option for me, I don't think I will go to 5ghz if that's even possible, I'm thinking like 4,8ghz stable or something, if thats possible.

I can download any programs if that helps, and post pictures while doing this, I have CPU-Z and Core temp already.

Thanks

Best regards
Chris

Welcome, Chris!

How did you try to stabilize it? What adjustments did you make in bios during this effort so far? If you are not more specific we can't help you much.

I would stress test with realbench since your not delided. Overclock a little at a time until your unstable with stress testing, then bump the Vcore 20 mV at a time and test then repeat everything.

Welcome, Chris!

How did you try to stabilize it? What adjustments did you make in bios during this effort so far? If you are not more specific we can't help you much.

Hey, I have made those adjustments in the BIOS (found them from another guy):

OC Explore Mode: Expert
CPU Ratio Apply Mode: All Core
CPU Ratio: 48
CPU Ratio Mode: Dynamic Mode
Ring Ratio: 44
EIST: Enabled // Aka: Speedstep
Enhanced Turbo: Disabled // Aka: MCE (Multi Core Enhancement)
Extreme Memory Profile (XMP): Enabled
DigitALL Power => CPU Loadline Calibration: Mode 4
Voltage: Adaptive
CPU: Core Voltage: 1.30
CPU SA Voltage: 1.13v
CPU IO Voltage: 1.08v
CPU PLL OC Voltage: 1.15v

And when im for example doing an intel burn test, I'm getting around 85 degrees tops before the program crashes, because of an unstable overclock probably. :/

First, I would not use adaptive mode for vcore, at least until you find out the net vcore necessary in order to get the overclock stable.

Why did you disable multi core enhancement? I would not do that.

How many steps do you have in LLC to choose from? Most people find that the next to the highest LLC supplementation is about right.

What are you stress testing with? Have you experimented with the AVX offset?

First, I would not use adaptive mode for vcore, at least until you find out the net vcore necessary in order to get the overclock stable.

Why did you disable multi core enhancement? I would not do that.

How many steps do you have in LLC to choose from? Most people find that the next to the highest LLC supplementation is about right.

What are you stress testing with? Have you experimented with the AVX offset?

I just used the settings I found.

I can try to enable multi core enhancement.

I have 10 steps to choose in LLC I think.

I stress tested with prime95, and Intel burn test.

I tried to experience with the AVX offset, I set it to -2, but I put it back to 0 because of advice from others.

The max LLC went to 8, I set it to mode 7.

Then I enabled multi core enhancement, and did an Intel burn test, and the system crashed and restarted.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know who it was that advised you to ditch the AVX offset but that was a bum steer. An offset of 2 is generally appropriate. Do you understand what the AVX offset does?

I would suggest using Prime95 v.26.6 that does not test with AVX instruction sets. Get your base non AVX overclock dialed in and then work on the AVX offset. http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

Please download and install CPU-z. Using the "Go Advanced" option with your next post, please attach pics of these three CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Crop the pics first with Windows Snipping Tool.

Please do not triple post Vin (use the edit button to add) and have a bit of patience. This is a forum, not a chat client :). Merged your posts.

1. Settings you found do not mean they will work for your CPU!!!!
2. MCE setting shouldn't matter considering its used for stock operations.
3. Find the LLC setting that keeps your load voltage the same as what was set in the BIOS
4. AVX offset is an up to you sort of thing. Using it when stress testing or using applications which can utilize those instruction sets can allow for higher non-avx clocks, but it is NOT a hard rule. I typically run no offsets. ;)

Yes, that was my point in saying not using an AVX offset was a bum steer. It limits your overclock unnecessarily since most apps don't use AVX instruction set. Using an AVX offset allows the best of both worlds.

It depends on the tests and the user, honestly. Personally, I leave it at 0. The extra 100-200 Mhz gained isn't worth (my time) messing around with it. If suggesting to use a stress test that doesn't use AVX, why set an offset?

95% of overclocks are set XMP to get the RAM up, change CPU multiplier and CPU voltage and go.

The OP, IMO, needs to start over fresh. I'd install the latest BIOS and push up from there not touching anything except XMP and CPU Ratio + Voltage.

Okey, so as for now, what would you guys recommend me to do?

My PC is crashing when I do an Intel burn test (on high) as I said, but everything looks stable, I don't know why it's crashing.

Temperatures are around 75 degrees when testing.

I have those settings:

OC Explore Mode: Expert
CPU Ratio Apply Mode: All Core
CPU Ratio: 48
CPU Ratio Mode: Dynamic Mode
Ring Ratio: 44
EIST: Enabled // Aka: Speedstep
Enhanced Turbo: Enabled
Extreme Memory Profile (XMP): Enabled
DigitALL Power => CPU Loadline Calibration: Mode 7
Voltage: Adaptive
CPU: Core Voltage: 1.30
CPU SA Voltage: 1.13v
CPU IO Voltage: 1.08v
CPU PLL OC Voltage: 1.15v

Youve just repeated yourself....not helpful for us to help you.

where are the cpuz screenshots? Did you try other tests? Try updating to the latest bios? And starting from scratch like i said??? Advice and direction has been given... where are you confused?

Help us help you....

It depends on the tests and the user, honestly. Personally, I leave it at 0. The extra 100-200 Mhz gained isn't worth (my time) messing around with it. If suggesting to use a stress test that doesn't use AVX, why set an offset?

So that he can also test the stability of the system when it does happen to encounter apps that use AVX.

95% of overclocks are set XMP to get the RAM up, change CPU multiplier and CPU voltage and go.

The OP, IMO, needs to start over fresh. I'd install the latest BIOS and push up from there not touching anything except XMP and CPU Ratio + Voltage.

- - - Updated - - -

Vinz,

I requested attachments of those three CPU-z tab image captures. If you want us to help you then you need to work with our suggestions. CPU-z gives a wealth of information about your hardware and your bios settings.

So that he can also test the stability of the system when it does happen to encounter apps that use AVX.
but it was suggested to use a test which doesnt test for avx. How is that testing for it? Its dropping avx and not testing for it as written....

Either:
A. Use an offset and test avx
B. Do not use an offset and test avx

Since some things use it sometimes, it makes sense to me to test with avx, regardless of offset. ;)

EDIT: It irks me when people say not to use AVX testing. Not everything uses it, I get that, but shouldn't the system be stable for it just in case? I don't understand the thought process of not testing for it.

Last edited:
I want to try without the AVX offsett first.

what other tabs in CPU-z would you like?

Also did an intel burn test on high, to show you what it says, and the max temp that it reached while doing it. (70 degrees)

Skjermbilde.PNG
Skjermbilde2.PNG

If it were me I would just start from scratch. Probably save time at this point. Don't pay attention to what you see on youtube. Set defaults in BIOS reboot set XMP with MCE enabled I always do. The set the CPU to 45 X boot to windows run a newer P95 I've been using 29.3 IIRC and have HWinfo 64 or HW monitor free running to monitor the temps and voltages. This will give you a good idea of where to start since the 8600 should do this wiht auto voltage no problem. THis will give a voltage rang of where to start. Go back to BIOS set the voltage manually to what the system had under load and start upping the multiplier untill it bcrashes and won't run stability . At that point add some voltage just stay in the high 80s low 90s for temps and ~ 1.4V

Last edited:
I want to try without the AVX offsett first.

what other tabs in CPU-z would you like?
See earlier in the thread bud.................

Please download and install CPU-z. Using the "Go Advanced" option with your next post, please attach pics of these three CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Crop the pics first with Windows Snipping Tool.

I'll add to that to display the Mainboard tab as well so we can see the BIOS version.

As I said earlier and Johan just did, I would start over. If you are not on the latest BIOS, update it, and start from scratch not touching anything but what we have said.

Oh sorry, I didn't see, here they are:

And the BIOS is updated to the last version.
I will start over, and edit the things you have said now.

Skjermbilde4.PNG
Skjermbilde5.PNG
Skjermbilde23.PNG

Set defaults in BIOS reboot set XMP with MCE enabled I always do. The set the CPU to 45 X boot to windows run a newer P96

I reset everything to default in BIOS now, and I did set the XMP and MCE enabled. But "set the CPU to 45 X boot to windows" What do you mean by that?

Set the CPU multiplier in BIOS to 45X then reboot into Windows and test it, monitor voltage and temperatures

Back