• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7 950, Not even stable at 3.36 ghz, Help on ocing to 4 ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
but after prime95 test they are always unstable (crashed/bsod in 4 minutes). I don't know what settings to put.

Please start with this:

1: Disable C1E

2: Disable EIST

3: Disable CPU Spread Spectrum

4: Disable PCI-E Spread Spectrum

5: Enable Load Line Calibration

6: Start with a low as possible DRAM clock

Make sure you unclock is <=3200, and your RAM frequency isn't over your RAM's limits.

My machine wouldn't post when my uncore got too high. Just reset the BIOS and start over.

I'm fine tuning a 950 OC as I type, and am settling in at 3.875Ghz. I can do 4Ghz (20x200) but my temps are in the mid 90s with IBT, and it requires lots more votage. I'm using mid range air cooling.

Mine hit 69 MAX when running intelburntest at 4 ghz.. But it was unstable, crashed about 10-20 minutes later. 35 on idle.

Please start with this:

1: Disable C1E

2: Disable EIST

3: Disable CPU Spread Spectrum

4: Disable PCI-E Spread Spectrum

5: Enable Load Line Calibration

6: Start with a low as possible DRAM clock

Running memtest.. Yea the ram is at 1520 mhz FSH 190, the thing froze, can't configure anthing but the line thing is still blinking, does it usually do this? Time is stuck at 33 seconds and test 5%

Running memtest.. Yea the ram is at 1520 mhz FSH 190, the thing froze, can't configure anthing but the line thing is still blinking, does it usually do this? Time is stuck at 33 seconds and test 5%

Lower the DRAM clock and try again.

Go back to stock and run memtest on your RAM. If it fails do one stick at a time. You may have a bad dimm.

When I fallow the manual and insert my 4 sticks of ram in slot A1, A2, B1, C1, the computer will only detect 3 however cpu-z detects all 4. When I put it in A1, A2, B1, B2, it detects all 8 gbs... Running stress test with only 6 gbs detected and 190 bclk and 20 cpu ratio. Ram is at 1200 mhz at 1.65 volt (I should set this on auto?)

Wow. Just wow, it's stable at 3.8 ghz... But 6 gbs of ram, will test with 8 gbs again and see how that goes..

3.8 ghz, x20 multiplier, 190 bclk, 3.42 mhz qpi link. 1.304V Ran two intel burn tests without a problem... Memory clock timings are 8-8-8-20 (stock is 9-9-9-24) Dram Frequency 570 mhz, FSB:DRAM = 6

EDIT - Whenever I use the stress test to use 6 gbs of ram, I get a bsod.. I think the ram is defective..

you shouldn't try messing with the ram settings until you're stable.. if the manufacturer specs call for 9-9-9-24 then put it at those settings. Do not try to tighten the timings (lower #s) until you're stable

Congrats on hitting 3.8 :beer:

Does all your RAM pass memtest at the 3.8? If it doesn't try one stick at a time to isolate the potential bad one. Memtest runs fast with only 2GB, so it shouldn't take long.

If they all pass at the OC'd speeds, then it may be something with the board, slots, or not enough NB or QPI voltage.

EDIT: What he said too:

you shouldn't try messing with the ram settings until you're stable.. if the manufacturer specs call for 9-9-9-24 then put it at those settings. Do not try to tighten the timings (lower #s) until you're stable

Congrats on hitting 3.8 :beer:

Does all your RAM pass memtest at the 3.8? If it doesn't try one stick at a time to isolate the potential bad one. Memtest runs fast with only 2GB, so it shouldn't take long.

If they all pass at the OC'd speeds, then it may be something with the board, slots, or not enough NB or QPI voltage.

EDIT: What he said too:

Nvm, it was working, intel burn test maximum for 20 minutes, That was longest I have ever seen, but then it got bsod. Great. Everything is auto, cpu is at 1.3 Qpi is 1.3 still won't work. Ram is lowest clock and timings are on auto... Memtest.. Can't even start with all 8 gbs of ram..

Damn. It's either the board or some bad sticks. I still suggest memtesting each ram stick individually to rule out a bad stick. If they all pass, then you know it's not the ram itself. Good luck.

Also try upping the NB and PLL voltage a tad. Not sure what those are on the Sabertooth, I have an MSI x58 Platinum SLI and MSI calls them different things.

Try bumping the VTT to ~1.40-1.45V or higher like I suggested earlier.

I'm going to test the ram tomarrow, I keep running intelburntest but keeps bsod me. I'm afraid to use high voltages because I read it can kill your cpu >>. I'm pretty sure memory is bad, but I cut out the upc for the rebate and prob cant rma it.

Try bumping the VTT to ~1.40-1.45V or higher like I suggested earlier.

Do you mean the Cpu voltage? Isn't the max like 1.35 considered safe? And about the qpi/dram core voltages and the ioh and ich.. I don't know what to set those except auto.

No, like I posted yesterday... VTT = QPI/DRAM Core Voltage. And as far as max. Vcore, Intel spec's the i7-900 series chips at a 1.55V "absolute maximum".

No, like I posted yesterday... VTT = QPI/DRAM Core Voltage. And as far as max. Vcore, Intel spec's the i7-900 series chips at a 1.55V "absolute maximum".

I'm actually getting somewhere, I ran 3 passes of intelburntest and it's still going.

4.01 Mhz
x21 multi
191 BCLCK
Showing 1.288 volts in cpu-z (i set it to like 1.3)
The Ram is like 1500 mhz
Qpi Link speed is on auto with 3436..

I swear it's going to get a BSOD....

Back