• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking on RIVE vs RIVE Black

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I have one question. If anyone has moved from Rampage IV Extreme to Black and see any differences in overclocking ? I mean like higher clocks, lower temps, lower voltages for the same clock or higher memory clock ?

My MSI X79A-GD45 board is still in RMA and I don't know when it will back. When I get it back then I will probably sell it so I'm thinking about RIVE or BE version just don't know if there is any point to pay more for a Black edition ( up to $100 difference for a new board ).

I'm no help to you but definitely like my rive. I've not been able to really get memory overclocking too well but that's probably me and/or my cpu. I know Ajay's got the black but not sure if he had a rive beforehand.

I don't think Ajay had one as I remember he switched from P9X79 series.
I've checked local auctions and I can get RIVE with warranty ( ~2 more years ) for about ~$300. New RIVE cost ~$450 and BE cost ~$550.
I've also checked memory clock results and BE is clocking higher but I'm not sure if it's because of overclockers skills or memory itself. Still, 3200+ should be possible on both boards while my MSI can't make more than ~2666.

I'm no help to you but definitely like my rive. I've not been able to really get memory overclocking too well but that's probably me and/or my cpu. I know Ajay's got the black but not sure if he had a rive beforehand.

I think he had a P9X79?

I'm interested to see what people say for the differences.

I'm interested to see what people say for the differences.

Me too as 3 out of 5 people on local auctions said that they are selling MIVE because they are switching to MIV Black. 2 others were actually stores with used parts ...

I haven't seen many CONSISTENT differences like that posted online. Nothing more than .01/.02 type of differences. But I have no idea if they properly tested/etc.

As far as Ajay, he did move from a mid tier ASUS to this one, but the problem is the voltage he was using on the PXP79 or whatever is it was WAY too high to start with (was an error, not a function of the boards) as he was able to drop it ~.2v which is impossible.

x79 vs x79 so it can't be too different from an overclocking perspective, can it?

From the rog marketing:
http://rog.asus.com/294702013/rampa...mpage-iv-black-edition-vs-rampage-iv-extreme/

Anandtech's review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7612/asus-rivbe Striking that they don't bother to include a rive in the testing mix...makes me feel like there's really not much of a difference.

Guru3d also fails to include a comparison in their review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rampage_iv_black_edition_review,1.html

Its X79 vs X79. He is asking for a comparison of boards on the same platform with the same CPU. ;)

I couldn't resist and I got Rampage IV Extreme from local store yesterday. I would get something from auctions but most my boards end up on RMA and I don't want to have issues with that in the future. BE already cost ~$110 more and were not on stock ( and won't be in next ~2 weeks ).
So far I made some quick tests and RipjawsZ 2133 /Samsung HCK0 are running @2666 10-12-12 what was impossible on MSI board. I will test some more today.
Regarding CPU OC I see no difference and my 4930K still needs ~1.3V for 4.5GHz or ~1.4V for 4.7GHz.

Congrats on the new mobo Woomack!

Hmmm....you're already the Magician of Memory, do we need to add Destroyer of Motherboards to that? ;)

Glad you've already seen an improvement over the msi! Sorry you haven't seen a cpu oc difference yet, though.

Good luck with benching your new toy!!

I think it can make more but so far it hits some wall at about 185+ bclk and I'm not sure why. I have to check additional settings.
Now I checked that highest result on hwbot with this board is 1MHz lower than my result.

I think it can make more but so far it hits some wall at about 185+ bclk and I'm not sure why. I have to check additional settings.
Now I checked that highest result on hwbot with this board is 1MHz lower than my result.
185 bclk?!?! Wow! I'm having trouble getting over 103 with my rive/3930k :(

Also...just got done talking with another bencher (with a lot more experience than me) who does lots of testing and has owned both boards.

He very strongly urged me to sell my rive and grab a BE instead...I had a bit of trouble hearing and following his line of thought but overall he says the BE's a faster board especially for crazy memory overclocking.

Straps!!!! Check your thread where you mentioned that a few hours ago. Magellan replied as well as I. :)

BE is not faster, it simply has more optimized BIOS for memory overclocking like more profiles etc. It doesn't change fact that you can make the same on Extreme too but will take some more time to set everything right. I was comparing some results on both boards and there is no clear prove that BE is faster, more like easier to overclock.

I also noticed that without higher straps RIVE is not booting with my memory above 2400. 2666+ needs x1.25 strap.
There are also some other little issues that are probably working better on BE like profiles. RIVE has memory profiles made on much above average memory the same as most other ROG boards so simply none of them are working for my "average" kits ... manual settings let me overclock memory as high as on haswell boards.

There is also one issue with memory performance after multiple timing changes on RIVE. Board is running slower than expected till you turn it off and turn it on again for full recalibration. I'm talking about 10-20GB/s lower memory bandwidth. So better is to make quick AIDA64 memory benchmark run before any benching.

Regarding bclk, I was running 188MHz bclk 100% stable on MSI X79A-GD45 Plus with max clock 192. So far I couldn't set more than 186 on RIVE but I was pushing memory clock, not really bclk so I have to try one day with low memory clock and better cooling.
3930K won't run at so high bclk as IB-E but straps let you set at least 128-130MHz.

Back