• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Problem AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090tbe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bass_Infektor

Registered
My rig/set up includes

Cooler Master HAF 922 case
Corsair H60 water cooling
600w Diblotek psu
Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090t Black Edition 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
GSkill Sniper 8gb
Lightscribe Dvd burner
1tb HDD
250gb HDD

I had this :bang head in another case except for the H60 and oc'ed it fine.
4.2ghz on air lol stable..very stable.

Now I have this HAF case and H60 all put together and can't achieve my previous oc. I have it at 3.8ghz.
My temps are very low so i don't know what the problem is and I'm almost fed up since I spent money upgrading.
I upped the volts to make it stable (probably not high enough) :confused:
If you want me to list any more details, give me a holler.
I want my machine maxed out on speed!:attn:

When in bios did you use F11 to save your working settings to a profile while still hooked up on air in the other case?

If you did you can use F12 from within bios to call-up that profile after installation in the new case and you should have the exact same settings from the install while in the air-case setup.

If you did not F11 or write down all the settings or take pictures of the bios screens (often what I do), then it is possible that during unhook and move of all components that the bios reset itself and you are now left with trying to setup to the exact same specs as before and my memory always failed me when doing that in one little setting or another.

Have not looked at where the H60 gets its power from but if from the mobo header it could be changing the power loading on +12V going to the cpu and causing actual Vcore to be less stable and the cpu is feeling this.

Without having a good solid baseline of temps and voltages before and after from a Min/Max recording type software (HWMonitor or similar) to compare the air to water setup, it is more than just about impossible to do anything but guess if the new configuration is cooler or warmer than before. There are a number of good air-coolers out there that an H60 might not be able to do better than.

Too many unanswerable variables to do more than just throw out wild guesses. It seems pretty certain that you are going to have to RE-adjust for stability with new case and components.

I have this rig @ 4ghz atm.
I've seen of this chip banging out 5ghz stable on an H50.
I have never did the F11 thing...
All I basically do in Bios is shut off all AMD cool n Quiet and Voltage regulators, Cut off turbo core, Raise the multiplier to x20, upped the cpu volts to 1.5, and set the ram CR to 1.

It's holding stable as of now but i don't know what the problem was.
My old case was a Raidmax Tornado ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case ATX-238WR (Junk) but served it's purpose.

Idk if i tightened the heatsink down on my cpu too tight or something, could that be a problem?

Never mind it was using only cold air...
No water cooling at all.
You can type in the amd penom 2 x6 1090t be 5ghz and you'll see.
Don't know if it's stable all the way because im not going to try that lol.

Just watched that and he is sub zero, Only running 4 cores and not stable,you won't get over 4.4 24/7 stable without a golden chip or sub zero cooling, you're previous clock was a good one and out of curiosity what vcore were you running it at 24/7 as the chip may have degraded over time and may not be able to acheive those clocks anymore if you were running a high vcore 24/7

Last edited:
Yeah.... i think i would agree, AMD recommend a max Vcore of 1.40v, it will go much higher but its probably not recommended to run it 24/7 higher then 1.39v. Anything over that is for benching purposes only, it will probably be fine for a year or two but i would not expect it to last the usual 5 to 10 years at very high Vcore.

Yeah.... i think i would agree, AMD recommend a max Vcore of 1.40v, it will go much higher but its probably not recommended to run it 24/7 higher then 1.39v. Anything over that is for benching purposes only, it will probably be fine for a year or two but i would not expect it to last the usual 5 to 10 years at very high Vcore.

Well I think I disagree with that. I don't think you can hope to get 4.0 ghz stable under Prime95 testing with only 1.4 vcore on a run of the mill Thuban unless you have some unusual cooling and an H60 would certainly not qualify for unusual. I think anything under about 1.475 is okay 24/7 as long as core temps remain under control. Of course, you have to take into account what LLC might add to that. And actually high end air cooling would be better than an H60.

Last edited:
Well I think I disagree with that. I don't think you can hope to get 4.0 ghz stable under Prime95 testing with only 1.4 vcore on a Thuban unless you have some unusual cooling and an H60 would certainly not qualify for unusual. I think anything under about 1.475 is okay 24/7 as long as core temps remain under control. Of course, you have to take into account what LLC might add to that.

You maybe right :) yet i did get a 9 hour Prime95 test pass @ 4Ghz with a 1.38v Vcore.

Its been running like that ever since without issue. (Check benchmark link in sig)

i think it may have been running a high vcore 24/7, as he is already @ 1.5v @4GHZ then as trents just posted llc may ramp that up even more:eek:

You maybe right :) yet i did get a 9 hour Prime95 test pass @ 4Ghz with a 1.38v Vcore.

Its been running like that ever since without issue. (Check benchmark link in sig)

Yeah, I remember you reporting on that recently but I don't think that's the norm. But while we're at it, what's the LLC adding to that under load? Have you checked that? If you have it at 1.38 in bios but LLC under load is shoving it up much higher then you really aren't running on 1.38 stable.

Yeah, I remember you reporting on that recently but I don't think that's the norm. But while we're at it, what's the LLC adding to that under load? Have you checked that? If you have it at 1.38 in bios but LLC under load is shoving it up much higher then you really aren't running on 1.38 stable.

Yes i have checked it, you can see in the screen shot i had HWMonitor running through the test, i have the Vcore set to 1.36750 in the bios and a 120% LLC, if you look at HWMonitor it jumps to 1.38v under P95 stress, and back to 1.37v idle.

Its also confirmed in CPUID in the screen shot and here with a slightly different way around it (Some memory adjustments in that one, same volts) http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2241398

Okay, well you have a cherry there.

I know, i do understand i'm very lucky with it, i'm not sure i ever want to let it go when it comes to it lol.....

If i ever want to upgrade to Ivy or PD i will have to.

Just watched that and he is sub zero, Only running 4 cores and not stable,you won't get over 4.4 24/7 stable without a golden chip or sub zero cooling, you're previous clock was a good one and out of curiosity what vcore were you running it at 24/7 as the chip may have degraded over time and may not be able to acheive those clocks anymore if you were running a high vcore 24/7

I'm running this @ 1.4v

My temps are around 43c att of writing this.
Honestly, I think I tightened the screws to far on the H60 to my AM3 irdk.
I think my temps should be lower really cause on air...my temp were 35c.
I'm gonna keep checking.

Are those temps at idle or load? If they are at load they really are not that bad and I would not worry if that's what you are bothered about, but if they are idle temps,then yeah something is wrong with you're cooling

Temps

Are those temps at idle or load? If they are at load they really are not that bad and I would not worry if that's what you are bothered about, but if they are idle temps,then yeah something is wrong with you're cooling

41c on load normal use ie web browsing, have not monitored in gaming.
I've been holding 4ghz stable with a 1.55v on cpu.

Youre temps are great but 1.55v running 24/7 may degrade you're CPU over a shorter period of time, we're you running it at this vcore before moving you're rig, if so then maybe that's why it's not able to reach the high clock anymore ?(it had just degraded I've time)

Edit: the post below pointed out that the load you quoted is not prime load,but basically idle

Last edited:
Hold on a sec! I don't think the OP has even tested his temps under load? Atleast going by his last post it doesn't seem so.

Even testing temps whilst gaming is a no-go. You need to run prime95 for about 10-15mins to find out your max "load" temps.

Back