• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Problem AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090tbe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah well spotted!!!! I thought they looked too good to be true, I've just looked at the original post and the h60 will struggle to tame 1.55v on full load, jmdixon85 said prime test and see how temps are after that

So i'm @ 1.4 volts @ 3.8ghz....
My max temp is 63c...
Idle is 28c - 32c...
So, any clues to my road block?

You're temps are way too high under load. 55c is the max you want to be looking for when running prime 95, as stability problems usually occur once temps get around that golden figure.
Edit : are you sure you're cooler is seated correctly as those temps are poor

You're temps are way too high under load. 55c is the max you want to be looking for when running prime 95, as stability problems usually occur once temps get around that golden figure.
Edit : are you sure you're cooler is seated correctly as those temps are poor

I sure hope so because I tightened it down good enough. I know they are high for this unit. I'm going to try and re seat it but should i hand tighten or scewdriver?
I'm use to the stock cooler where it just clips so i'm not so sure how tight to even make this H60 on my cpu...

Lets see everything was the same bar the case and the h60.
what cooling did you have before the crappy h60 ?

Looks like your h60 is either incorrectly mounted ie tension from screws, Or the mating faces of the block and the cpu heatspreader aren't level, and or the thermal compound hasn't been applied properly.

1.4 v core on a typical air cooler like my titan fenrir or a Vendetta should get you core temps of around 40-44 at max load.

So if you have your previous cooler how about refitting it to test it out. Or if standard get a half decent air cooler.?

Lets see everything was the same bar the case and the h60.
what cooling did you have before the crappy h60 ?

Looks like your h60 is either incorrectly mounted ie tension from screws, Or the mating faces of the block and the cpu heatspreader aren't level, and or the thermal compound hasn't been applied properly.

1.4 v core on a typical air cooler like my titan fenrir or a Vendetta should get you core temps of around 40-44 at max load.

So if you have your previous cooler how about refitting it to test it out. Or if standard get a half decent air cooler.?

I had a stock cooler, the one that came with the AMD Phenom X6 1090t be.
As for the H60 you call crappy, it's not.
I've heard nothing but success from people using this model.
It's a hell of a better cooler than stock.
I can't just go out and buy another cooler right now either, i just bought this one around 3 weeks ago.
I thought water cooling was the way to go?
Maybe im drawing more power than I thought from this piddly *** Diblotek I have considering I have 2 200mm fans, 2 120mm fans, 1 80mm fan, 2 hdd,and that GC. Idk...

Is your'e stock cooler the one with the heatpipes, if so i would replace the H60 with the stock one and see how you go with temps on that one, and if it is better than the H60 then return the water cooler, as it is just not up to the job of cooling a Thuban, and it never really has been to be honest. Sorry for the bad news on the H60 but it is not the best.

Maybe im drawing more power than I thought from this piddly *** Diblotek I have considering I have 2 200mm fans, 2 120mm fans, 1 80mm fan, 2 hdd,and that GC. Idk...

That is totally a possibility. PSU is very cheap. Dunno if Tigerdirect made a mistake but it SAYS it has 4 PCIE connectors? LOL

Can find no reviews on it, only places having it for sale.

600W would be enough even for a bit of Ocing IF it was a good quality unit.

However you did say taht the only change to this setup was putting it in a case and adding hte H60.

Make sure the fan on the cooler is working properly (running at full speed) and that the pump is running full speed as well.

temps are crazy high for any cooler at those clocks despite the warm weather we have had lately. Something is definitely wrong.

I had a stock cooler, the one that came with the AMD Phenom X6 1090t be.
As for the H60 you call crappy, it's not.
I've heard nothing but success from people using this model.
It's a hell of a better cooler than stock.
I can't just go out and buy another cooler right now either, i just bought this one around 3 weeks ago.
I thought water cooling was the way to go?

Did you not read my other comments? I'm not saying buy another cooler first. i'm saying theres something wrong with your cooling setup or your psu isn't supplying enough current on the 12v rails. The standard x6 cooler or a decent air cooler wouldnt allow a load temp of that high at only 1.4v . I'd check if the block is mounted correctly and that both faces are level you can tell by lifting the block off and seeing how the tim has set on both the cpu spreader and block. I don't agree that the h60 is that great in comparison to a good air cooler . Thats my opinion though but yes it should be better than a standard x6 cooler.

My titan fenrir at 1.525v on max load wouldn't hit 50 degrees c on the core temps.

Did you not read my other comments?

Yes D, I read them. I'm going to dismount my cooler and remount it to see if everything is correct. I know this is a tooless setup and last time i used a screw driver:bang head:
Im goin to remount and put a thin layer of Artic Silver 5. and test it out, maybe i put a little to much on it.
May my psu is a pos lol, it works though.
Here is a link to my PSU http://diablotek.com/v2.0/index.php...category_id=37&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I'll try this out and come back with results...

So....I remounted the H60 into the cpu.
Temps are 30 idle and on load...45 to 47 max @ 3.8ghz.
I'm bout to go for the gold and get the max oc out of this cpu...wish me luck!

Thats seems better bud,

if that load temp is your core temp and is from prime being run for about 10 mins at 1.4v, then depending on your ambient temps its still a little high, but much better than the 63 as before.

Keep us posted.

Just looked at the spec of your psu, 3.3v 20a 5.5v 25a and 12v 40a is pretty good, Depending on how efficient it is, I think your psu should be ok mate.

Last edited:
25A on the 5.5?

this is a P4 era PSU.

the rails addup to about 680+W as well as only 480W on the 12v rail. I doubt it will hold a OCed CPU and full load GPU...

thubans will nearly double in power draw between stock and 4 GHz. +a 250ish power draw video card.... thats 475W right there...

Okay im at 4ghz now and have been holding up for 6 hrs now, stress test and all.
32c idle , 46- 51 max load.
I tried 4.2 but i would have to bump up the vcore past 1.5.
I heard bumpin up the vcore gives more juice?
Any suggestions?

the 6970 draws around 20 amps on full load, so theres still room left on the psu.
All the phenoms only start using alot of power once the v-core is raised past 1.45V, Frequency doesnt determine the cpu power draw, its the v-core it uses to mantni stability that does.

4.0 to 4.2ghz is a big jump mate Ok you may have been running that before but your temps are very close to the thermal limits of the cpu right now. So adding more v-core will make the chip hotter and require more volts to remain stable and it will be a vicious circle.

My phenom x4 b55 (ok not an x6 but neverless ) it went up to 4.0ghz on around 1.4v, but to get to 4.2 it required about 1.52v, my nb-cpu was clocked to 2750, all this was whilst using cool and quiet so got lovely idle temps and power saving, and still a 4.2 overclock with stability.

If you havent already then i'd try keeping the v-core around 1.4-1.425.
Whilst checking for temps I'd slowly increase the ht ref and aim from 4.0ghz to 4.1 until you can see the chip losing stability. Theres a few things left to do like exploring the nb-cpu overclocking, and ht link and memory ovrclocking/tightening memory timings.

But you need to find you cpu's limit first before playing with anything else.

In honesty 4.0ghz at 1.4v is a great achievement and the speed difference isn't going to gain you much from 4.0 to 4.2, just maybe lots of heat

If i could lend you my titan you'd be suprised at how well it works for an air cooler, but its now on my i7 :)

Last edited:
Hey Dave I posted wrong about my gc...it's a 6790.
I'm running at 1.5v.
My norm core is 1.4500, all i did was a 10% increase which is what you have to do in order to get it stable.
So idk what all this 1.4 core talk is because every mobo I've had has always had the vcore at 1.4500.
My last board was a Asus m4a88t-m le. I oced and unlocked a AMD Athlon II 450 Rana into a Phenom II B50 @ 4ghz stable on air and ran like a dream.
I'm gonna Ubuntu that machine lol.

Ok enuff ranting..
My current machine we have been discussing has been running great on 4ghz for the past few days. Played Skyrim, MW3, Crysis 2 all great and without a friggin BSOD.

Thanks for everyone's replies they are appreciated.

Back