• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Q9450

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber649

Registered
I am fairly new at overclocking, and I am looking for some help.

I have a q9450 on a Maximus Formula, and I am trying to get it to 3.4GHz. I am running high end air cooling for my CPU. But the problem is, that when I try to, the NB temps goes over 70c+. I used auto for the cpu voltage, because when I try to set it manually, it never works. The CPU voltages I have tried are between 1.24-1.4v. But I am pretty sure that I am doing something wrong to get a stable system.

I am not sure what voltages and settings I should use to achieve this clock speed, that is where I am clueless so I ask that you bare with me.

What I need is for someone to let me know the proper voltages I should use for the CPU, NB, SB, and any other things that I should set to achieve my desired speed.

Any help would be great, as I said I am a bit inexperienced in this area.

try this as a base to start from, you will need to tweak your volts from here.

Extreme Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
OC From CPU Level Up : AUTO
CPU Ratio Control : Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 8.5
FSB Frequency : 425
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333
PCI-E Frequency: 110
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1021

CPU Voltage : 1.30???
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.55
North Bridge Voltage : 1.45
DRAM Voltage : 2.10
FSB Termination Voltage : 1.22
South Bridge Voltage : 1.050
Loadline Calibration : Enabled
CPU GTL Reference : 0.67X
North Bridge GTL Reference : 0.67X
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : DDR2-REFF
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : DDR2-REFF
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DDR2-REFF
SB 1.5V Voltage : 1.5

Wow, thank you very much for that detailed list. I am going to try that right now and report how it goes.

Thanks again!

Ok I have tried those setting you have gave me. But when I choose those settings, windows fails to load. So I put all the DRAM values back to normal, because I am sure my memory can't handle OC speeds so great using Kingston Value Ram. I also returned most other settings to auto except the NB and SB. I am currently running at 3.4GHz with a few settings changed and set to auto.

Some settings that aren't available in my BIOS are:

-OC from cpu level up

There are a couple others, but can't remember them atm.

Below is a Everest snapshot that would hopefully be of some use in helping getting a stable system and those suggested settings that were mentioned above.

Post not only how much RAM you have installed (4 x 1GB, 2 x 2GB, etc.), but the SPD timings and Vdimm. Also post the VID of your quad using Real Temp--> "Settings" page--> Max Core VID. And besides the Maximus Formula and Q9450, post the rest of your system spec's.

My specs are:

Q9450 CPU
Maximus Formula
4x2GB DDR 800 Kingston Value Ram (the specs for this can be found here http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=KVR800D2S5-2G-DT&cat=RAM)
Corsair 1000W PSU
VisionTek 4870x2
Asus Xonar DX

The VID of my quad is: Max = 1.2375

Also, I have changed my CPU voltage to: 1.30 and my CPU PLL Voltage: 1.55. The OS loaded fine, but the reason I changed it from auto is because while playing Crysis my system locked. When I ran Prime95 for quite some time, there was no issues with system stability. My temps all across the boards were very good.

Thanks!

Give these settings a try, first running Memtest86+ prior to booting into Windows...
Code:
Extreme Tweaker
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 8.0
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 400
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-850

CPU Voltage : 1.30 - 1.35
DRAM Voltage : 1.90

CPU GTL Reference : AUTO 
North Bridge GTL Reference : AUTO 
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : AUTO 
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : AUTO 
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : AUTO 
SB 1.5V Voltage : AUTO

... and set the four primary RAM timings to 5-5-5-15. Make sure that the Core Voltage as shown by CPU-Z doesn't drop below the Vcc set in the BIOS (EDIT: 1.30 - 1.35v depending on the BIOS setting) while running Prime. If it does, then raise the Vcore in the BIOS to compensate for Vdrop / Vdroop.

Last edited:
Give these settings a try, first running Memtest86+ prior to booting into Windows...
Code:
Extreme Tweaker
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 8.0
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-850

CPU Voltage : 1.30
DRAM Voltage : 1.90

CPU GTL Reference : AUTO 
North Bridge GTL Reference : AUTO 
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : AUTO 
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : AUTO 
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : AUTO 
SB 1.5V Voltage : AUTO

... and set the four primary RAM timings to 5-5-5-15. Make sure that the Core Voltage as shown by CPU-Z doesn't drop below the VID (1.2375v) while running Prime. If it does, then raise the Vcore in the BIOS to compensate for Vdrop / Vdroop.

Great, I will give these a try and report back to see how things went.

Thanks again.

Ok, I tried the above mentioned options that you have me. However my system is still running unstable. I figured it was my DRAM settings, while disabling them fixed some issues, Such as Prime95 failing to load threads. How long should I run prime? 30mins, 1 hour?

Here are the settings I have modified, but the system just freezes:

FSB Frequency: 425
PCIE Freq: 100
CPU Voltage: 1.37
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
NB voltage: 1.45v
SB Voltage: 1.050v

I have been toying with the cpu voltage settings, but not so much with cpu pll. Since I am not sure exactly what that settings does, or what it affects.

So atm I am still heading my head against the wall. I have raised my cpu voltage to 1.37, just to see if this works. I am gonna run prime95 again, and hopefully get some stability out of this. I really want 3.4ghz, since I seen in games how much more performance I get out of this setup.

One of the settings my BIOS doesn't have is "CPU Ratio Control". i can set it to 8.0, but when it is actually put in, it reads 08.0. What exactly does this setting do, what does it affect?

I'm gonna take a stab here and say your ram is causing the problems. Generally anything "value" will not operate how you want it to. Although I would ask this as well, what power supply are you running?

On my old 9450 I was able to get 3.6Ghz on 1.32v, so you really shouldnt need 1.37 for 3.2Ghz. Although its possible.

I am runing a Corsair 1000HX Watt PSU. But I bet the ram is the thing to blame, I seem to be running at 3.2ghz rock solid so far. Maybe 3.4ghz seems to much to ask from this atm.

Does anyone else have any other ides on why I can't get to 3.4GHz? Is it because of my ram maybe?

I attempted 3.4 against today from 3.2, and no go at all again. I am hoping that someone with exp may be able to narrow it down for me, because no matter the settings, it doesn't work.

Also to the poster above me, my voltage for 3.2ghz isnt 1.37v, its around 1.27v.

Try increasing VTT from 1.22v to 1.3 - 1.35v w/ GTL settings on AUTO. You could also try temporarily removing two sticks of RAM, leaving the remaining two in a dual channel configuration. At this point lower the vNB to around 1.3v, and reset the Vcc to 1.3v also. And instead of jumping directly to 3.4 from 3.2GHz (400MHz to 425MHz FSB), increase the FSB in small increments running Prime after each step.

you really need to run memtest with your settings for 3.4Ghz if you haven't already. If your RAM fails that test you can be pretty certain that it is your problem source.

ok I will do that for sure and see, if that is the bane of my problems. Then getting better memory is easy enough to do.

Sure is. Not sure if your MII is DDR3 or DDR2, but 4GB of quality DDR3 can be had for <$80. DDR2 is even cheaper. Get yourself some Gskill, OCz, or Corsair (just to name a few good brands) memory sticks and you will be very happy :D

Hope this helps a little but you may have slightly diff settings since different mobo.

dont mind the PI as it is the only screen shot of cpu z i have right now

Capture.jpg

Back