• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Ryzen 7 2700E?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
This processor seems interesting. Only 45W TDP 2.8Ghz with boost clock up to 4Ghz and unlocked multiplier.

If we take the FX logic it would appear that this would be a desirable processor for overclocking. Is that the case?

Seems like these CPUs are only available in OEM systems as of right now. Has anyone gotten their hands on one yet?

I'm not sure if it would be much more than an underclocked and locked down 2700

This processor seems interesting. Only 45W TDP 2.8Ghz with boost clock up to 4Ghz and unlocked multiplier.

If we take the FX logic it would appear that this would be a desirable processor for overclocking. Is that the case?

Seems like these CPUs are only available in OEM systems as of right now. Has anyone gotten their hands on one yet?

I haven't seen any n the wild but... not sure what you mean about the FX logic. The "E" is a low leakage chip typically so they will run with lower voltage but... they typically hit a wall much sooner. So a 2700X may reach 5.5 GHz with LN2 but the 2700E may be stuck at 4.8 GHz. I had an 8320 that could run CB 15 at 5.4 GHz with 1.45V on my cold loop but going cold didn't take it much further it just couldn't do it and stopped dead in it's tracks.

I haven't seen any n the wild but... not sure what you mean about the FX logic. The "E" is a low leakage chip typically so they will run with lower voltage but... they typically hit a wall much sooner.

There is a school of thought that deems the lower wattage FX chips to be superior overclockers (with less voltage leak and better binning), and I thought that sentiment might carry over to the Ryzen platform. I can't say if this is entirely true (or entirely false) because I personally have never drawn the comparison. This is just something I've heard talked about a few times when researching which FX chip I wanted to buy, so please take with a grain of salt.

But from what you are saying it sounds like they will hit the wall quicker than the higher end processors.

One good way to make assumptions is by comparing pstates between 2 processors.

A 2700x is 1.212v at 3.7ghz and pstates do not reference boosting clocks and voltage which will vary with cpu and vrm temperatures.

Id rather not have a ryzen with only 2.8ghz base clock, but Im sure it runs well under 1 volt at that frequency.

Also the chips respond to sub zero temps pretty well, so Earthdog has a true statement. Colder helps with using less voltage for x clock speed. You can see the in my FX + TEC thread at warp 9.

Also the chips respond to sub zero temps pretty well, so Earthdog has a true statement. Colder helps with using less voltage for x clock speed.

Yes cold will definitely reduce voltage leak as you and ED said.

But why on earth (did you catch that pun) would you want to run a chip with more voltage leak? Seems to me, even with liquid nitrogen cooling the preference would still be the processor that is more efficient in how it handles voltage.

I.E. when you are fighting for every last Mhz, a couple notches on your vcore could make or break your OC? In theory, right?

High leakage good for subambient bad for ambient. Low leakage good for ambient, bad for sub zero.

I dont recall the science behind why that is... but it is.

Back