• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the 3770k to 4.8 ghz and beyond on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordmordred1

Has anyone had success reaching a stable 4.8 ghz overclock or better with this cpu on air? The best I've achieved stable is 4.7 ghz and I would like to get some advise if someone out there has had better success. I can post at 4.8 but my temps shoot up to 100° C in less than 5 minutes running prime- yikes! I'm a tad bit dissapointed because i upgraded my i5 2550k (which had no problem overclocking to 5ghz) to this i7 3770k thinking I would see some fairly significant gains. I won't complain too much though because my ivy bridge at 4.7 ghz still beats my 5ghz overclocked 2550k by 1,000 points or so in benchmarking (according to 3dmark vantage). None the less, I would really like to see what this thing could do at speeds closer to 5ghz. I have a good heatsink and good air flow in the case- see specs below. Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Cooler Master Haf X Case
Asus 16x Optical Drive
Intel 3770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler (Tri Fan)
2x GTX 680 (SLI)
Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SSD
WD Black 640 GB 7500 RPM HDD
AsRock Professional z68 Fata1ity MOBO GEn 3
16 GB GSkill Sniper 2133 MHz Memory
Creative X-Fi Fata1ity Sound Card
850 Watt Thermaltake Black Widow PSU
Windows 7 Prof 64 Bit

I am stable at 4.8 on water, and have not tried it on air. I would say that it is possible with the right cooler and a great low voltage chip, but it's nowhere close to a guarantee. I made the same upgrade, and I am perfectly happy with it. Sure it's not sitting at the magical 5GHz, but I'm not that concerned with the bragging rights on my 24/7 overclock. I would rather have these kind of bragging rights (highest frequency on DICE)
http://hwbot.org/submission/2294533_gregmacknass_cpu_frequency_core_i7_3770k_6002.27_mhz
Benching with an ivy bridge requires cold, as in dry ice or liquid nitrogen. Without the cold you are going to be stuck at under 5GHz for benching. It's just how it is because of the change in thermal interface between the core and internal heatsink. If you look at your scores (assuming that you screenshot them for comparison), I guarantee that along with your cpu score increasing that your gpu score went up as well. It is what it is, and the information about these not overclocking as well on conventional cooling has been out there since their release. So if you want more speed, buy a cpu pot and some DICE or LN2 and lay down some scores. If not, be happy with what you got.

3770K's run hot. I managed 4.8 on a water loop, but on air will be more difficult. You'll be close to or in the 90°C range. 5GHz+ on air is a pipe dream. FWIW, my chip won't even go over 5.1 on water for benching, much less stable; temps are just too high. You need cold to get these to play well north of 5GHz.

a achieved 5.0ghz on air cooling setup room temp 10c with full load stress temp 96c~102C, on Noctua D14, which should be the best air cooling setup on the market, it's stable with 1.46 volt extreme LLC and poewr phases, i ran prime95 for 2 hour and didn't BSOD, but i stopped due to the heat. for 4.9ghz i gets 83~88C, 4.8ghz 78~84C, and what i am using now 4.7ghz, 60c~68c all on full load prime95 stressing test 1~2 hours

Come on, people! Why do 4.7 or 4.8 at close to 1.50 volts. Be happy with 4.5GHz which only requires 1.275v. Why burn-out your CPU? It won't make a difference in gaming! Even at 4.5GHz even the GTX 680 will show all its muscles with room to spare.:drool:

Come on, people! Why do 4.7 or 4.8 at close to 1.50 volts. Be happy with 4.5GHz which only requires 1.275v. Why burn-out your CPU? It won't make a difference in gaming! Even at 4.5GHz even the GTX 680 will show all its muscles with room to spare.:drool:

Is there something wrong with my prime?(As in not stressing my cpu enough) I am running 4.5ghz @ 1.195v right now while I am typing this prime has been going for 26mins so far core temps are mid to high 60's and cpu is holding steady at 42c using a H70 in push/pull. Could my readings be wrong?

Is there something wrong with my prime?(As in not stressing my cpu enough) I am running 4.5ghz @ 1.195v right now while I am typing this prime has been going for 26mins so far core temps are mid to high 60's and cpu is holding steady at 42c using a H70 in push/pull. Could my readings be wrong?

It would be good if you have screenshot, also, to stress ur cpu u should go prime > large FFTs

today is quit hot than the day i achieve 5.0, so i only took screenshto and off the stress test xD
1h3OZ

and honestly , DONT PUSH YOUR 3770K BEYOND 4.7GHZ, 4.7ghz is the SAFE LIMIT for it, for long run, without damaging the cpu i would perfer 4.5ghz or 4.4ghz, why 4.5 or 4.4? not only it can save TONES eletrical bill for you, but also make less heat, make your fan quieter, make your cpu voltage way less than 4.7 or 4.8, also make your cpu last longer, but since i'm constantly changing my system, and selling my old workstation or gaming rig to my friends or classmates, i don't really mind if i oc to 4.7ghz, but no point for 4.8, you need around 0.13+ volts to achieve that 100mhz, but from 4.6 to 4.7 you only need 0.05volts, 4.5 to 4.6 0.02 or less

Thank you. Good to be here. Actually I saw something on folding, I think my components from the last build will go to the cause. 1.95 didn't hold up after an hour so I bumped it to 1.2. Here's your screenshot :D.

oc45.jpg

and honestly , DONT PUSH YOUR 3770K BEYOND 4.7GHZ, 4.7ghz is the SAFE LIMIT for it, for long run, without damaging the cpu i would perfer 4.5ghz or 4.4ghz, why 4.5 or 4.4? not only it can save TONES eletrical bill for you, but also make less heat, make your fan quieter, make your cpu voltage way less than 4.7 or 4.8, also make your cpu last longer, but since i'm constantly changing my system, and selling my old workstation or gaming rig to my friends or classmates, i don't really mind if i oc to 4.7ghz, but no point for 4.8, you need around 0.13+ volts to achieve that 100mhz, but from 4.6 to 4.7 you only need 0.05volts, 4.5 to 4.6 0.02 or less

so torch the CPU and sell it to a friend is all good right?

Love the OC rush!

I have found that the "sweet spot" for this processor is between 4.4 and 4.6 Ghz. Any higher than 4.6 and your voltage requirements climb sharply. I like to dynamically OC and have my processor set at 4.6 using 1.44v in Prime95 100% load but normal usage runs 1.24 to 1.38. I don't know how most people do it but I find the voltage that it is just stable at and then add 10% extra for good measure because I have had occasional bsod's when I set the voltage right at the stable line. I wouldn't go higher than 4.4 Ghz for daily use on air. I water cool and my temps idle at 30 - 35 Celcius using a Corsair H100 with four 120mm fans slapped on the radiator. I could probably run just fine at 4.8 Ghz but I just don't see the voltage value. I can't get a stable OC until I set my voltage at 1.5V and I don't like my temps above 80 at full load. It took 1.7v to get stable at the magical 5.0 Ghz. With temps topping 100 with prime95 at full load. Idle temps were only around 50 though.... People ask why overclock? It does make a difference in games with lots of things going on like controlling 50 units in StarCraft2. If I didn't game I think I would set my OC down to 4.4 because I was surprised to get stable at voltages less than 1.20v.

CPU:3770K
Video: EVGA 690 GTX
RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @1866 Mhz
Cooling: H100 Quad 120 Fans
MOBO: Z77 Sabertooth ASUS
Case: Cosmos 2
PSU: Corsair 850 Gold
Boot SSD: Intel 520 240GB

Last edited:
Back