• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking X2 4200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelicPenguin

I was trying to overclock my 4200+ and has some questions. Here's my system specs:

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail

Motherboard:
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

RAM:
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWINX1024-3200C2PT - Retail (Timings listed as 2-3-3-6)

I was following these excellent guides:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=306418

I followed the first guide and used ClockGen to get some numbers:
I lowered my CPU multiplier to 6x, Memory clock to 133Mhz, HTT 3x
my max FSB in ClockGen was 270 using Prime95. Beyond this the computer would reboot or BSOD.
With the HTT at 5x, my FSB reached 238 where the HT speed was 1190 using Prime95. Beyond this I'd get BSOD.

Not sure if these are good or bad. After these I tried to isolate the memory speed. I left them at the default timings the BIOS set them at (2.5-3-3-8). I'm not sure if I should be messing with them, but after reading some memory guides, the last number isn't one to tweak and the middle two were the most important and these were set to what the memory is listed for. So I decided not to mess with those.

So I set the HTT to 3x, the memory clock to 200, CPU to 6x and started boosting my FSB then running tests in MemTest86+. Here's where I started getting some issues and have some questions. First, that guide listed running 5 tests of test #5 and 5 tests of test #8. This seems to take about an hour and a half. Is this normal? I just wonder b/c the poster had indicated these were "quick" tests. Second, and more importantly, when setting my FSB above about 228, my machine wont post and I have to reset the CMOS. Is this normal? It seems weird that I jacked up my FSB much higher in windows with ClockGen while testing step #1. Is there a much different load put on when first attempting to post, then later in windows? Is there some voltage changes I should make to get it to post, or is 228 obviously my max. I did have it post and get into MemTest86+ and run the tests successfully at 230, but when I rebooted to try to up the voltage it wouldn't post. So is 228 my limit?

Sorry for all the questions. I have read the guides, but am still a bit confused about some stuff :)

Thanks for any help!
Matthew

Overclocking IS time-consuming! get used to it:)

As I stated in your other topic, it's well possible that 228Mhz is your mem's max at this timings.
What voltage are you feeding your ram?

I'm at work, so I can't check the memory timings. But the question I had was that the machine wouldn't even post when I set the FSB to 230 with my CPU set at 6x, memory clock set at 133Mhz, HT set to 3x.

That was my first question of whether or not I'm missing something or is the 228. Sorta left me with the impression that I might be screwed when it comes to getting much overclock if that's all the FSB will do.

There is no voltage settings for FSB is there?

Btw, I started a new topic because the other one seemed more about whether or not I should upgrade to Opteron 185 rather than about a 4200+ overclock. Hope there's no problems with that (don't mean to spam the boards ;) )

Thanks for any help!
Matthew

the voltage settings for "fsb" would be to do with the northbrige voltage? not sure tho

I hit 226 with my 4200+ before I had any issues. My solution was to bump the HTx down to 4x and add on 0.0125 volts to my vcore.

Magically, I can run my system 300x9 without any issues. The two major HTT barriers for me were 226 and ~265. Good luck, try lowering your HTlink!

WOW. We have close to the same system, expect for the fact that I have the SLI version of the mobo. Mine maxes out at ~2.48GHz. :(

EDIT - Just noticed we have the same names...

Last edited:
Back