• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking X4 620 with new gear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WakeVajZet

Registered
Hello y'all!

Recently i've decided to upgrade my PC components,since its been a while - one thing lead to another and i ended up buying everything new except CPU (all components listed in signature,im running W7 x64 Ult).Why?Well,i didn't want to cut back on other components too much,and with Steamroller coming soon...you get me.I got aftermarket cooler,and much more ventilated case,so i decided to overclock my Athlon.While doing so,i followed this guide,and it got me to nice stable 3.0 Ghz clock.What i did was increase reference clock from 200 to 231,decrease RAM multiplier by one which got me to 1540mhz,and decreased NB multiplier,which set NB and HT back to near-stock freq (around 2000mhz).I've turned off CnQ and C1E for the time being,and other power saving features.Increased fan speeds (i have one exhaust fan on the back 120x120,and Hyper TX3 Evo cooling my CPU) to max,i'm pretty tolerant regarding noisiness so its ok.Here are my idle and load settings/temperatures/fan speeds with HWMonitor,Core Temp,CPU-Z and SpeedFan.

Idle - Click here
Load - Click here

Don't mind the fan speeds in SpeedFan,only CPU fan (FAN1) is accurate.Temperatures,on the other hand - i had trouble recognizing what is what,but i guess CoreTemp is most accurate and it shows core temp which is the important thing,and it keeps relatively cool even in load (max 40C as you can see).Now,i came here to ask what to do next - do the same thing again and again until im unable to boot,then test in Prime95 until i get stable configuration,or do something else...?

Also important to note - with old case (some chinese bs),old AM2+ mobo,and stock cooler my temperatures were way higher than they are now,in Prime95 on stock clocks they skyrocketed to 70C almost immidiately,sometimes i was afraid to load my CPU too much thinking i would damage it.

Thanks in advance!

Wake, welcome to OC Forums!

It is important if we are going to help you, that we all be using the same tools to monitor temps, voltages and stability. So please download and install these three programs that are standard tools here on OC Forums: CPU-z, HWMonitor (non pro version) and Prime95. After you have done this, then:

Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" test to check for max voltages, max CPU socket and max core temps. Immediately after the stress test, post back with an attached pic of the HWMonitor interface. There is a built-in forum tool for attaching pics with posts. Here is how to do it:

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious.

Im sorry,but did you even read my post?I did all those things,and put them in my post.I have links for both load and idle temperatures/settings/speeds.Here are the links again if you have trouble finding them -

Idle - Click here *1 hour after stopping Prime95*
Load - Click here *after 1 hour of Prime95*

Yes,i have added SpeedFan,but all programs you've listed are in these links also (HWMonitor,CPU-z,CoreTemp)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM WakeVajZet :attn:
sO FAR YOU'RE ON THE RIGHT TRACK AND YES KEEP GOING THE WAY YOU ARE. sMALL ADJUSTMENTS AND (oops cap lock) and testing. Your temps look good so far so you still have some headroom.

What Trents is trying to tell you is to attach those images to your post not a link. It makes it much easier for us to help. :thup:
You'll find in the advanced pane a small paperclip. Upload then attach the image.

My apologies! Yes, you did. I saw the mention of Speefan and stopped reading. Speedfan is not needed by the way, nor is CoreTemp. HWMonitor tells us everything those two programs do and more. We also need you to give us pics of CPU-z tabs: Memory and SPD to get a more complete picture of where your memory frequncies are in relation to manufacturer recommendations and capability.

Looks like you are doing well in your overclock. Temps are fine. You just need to keep increasing your FSB and adding vcore when you encounter instability. Keep your HT Link frequency between 1800-2100.

Yes, as Johan45 explained, we would prefer you attach your images directly to your posts so that we don't have to chase links. Please make it as easy as possible for those helping you to help you.

Last edited:
Thank you for understanding!OK then,i will continue raising ref clock until i hit a wall,then increase voltages and so on...One question though,how can i properly check stability?I know Prime95 is the thing to use,but for how long?What is sure?And also,after i get stable clock,can i turn on CnQ and C1E back?Or that is a no no?

I've put CPU-Z Memory and SPD pictures in attachment.

Attachments

• CPU-Z Memory.JPG
    CPU-Z Memory.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 257
  • CPU-Z SPD.JPG
    CPU-Z SPD.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 259
20 minute long runs of Prime95 blend are sufficient to establish tentative stability and it is time efficient in the beginning stages of overclocking. When you get toward the end where you sense you are nearing the max overclock I would use two hour long runs. So, to confirm stability, use at least two hour long Prime95 blend tests. Some around here would say more than that, like 8 hrs.

Thank you for understanding!OK then,i will continue raising ref clock until i hit a wall,then increase voltages and so on...One question though,how can i properly check stability?I know Prime95 is the thing to use,but for how long?What is sure?And also,after i get stable clock,can i turn on CnQ and C1E back?Or that is a no no?

I've put CPU-Z Memory and SPD pictures in attachment.

Core temp is a great program for real time temp measurements, and is not resource intensive. HWinfo is great as well, just another tool for the trade. So keep core temp if you are so inclined. But I would scrap speedfan, its junk.

In terms of increasing performance, you can first lower your memory timings. If you notice, you are not running your XMP timings, which yield maximum performance. Check your CPU z pic for proper timings and update the bios memory settings accordingly. As for your NB multiplier, you can try upping that for better IMC, memory and subsystem performance (really target this). If you have an 880 or 890 nb chipset, you can reach 2600-3000mhz, but I don't know how the Athlon X4 620 responds to the higher NB clocks. In any event, you will have to increase voltage to your NB to 1.25-1.3 and CPU-NB to say 1.25-1.35 and up the multi on your NB ratio to reach 2600 (and slowly notch up from there) and be prepared to increase voltage as mentioned above, that's key for stability. The 620 is a great chip, and seems to overclock reliably to 3.2ghz or slightly more. So target that, and be prepared for massive gains if you can reach 2800 or 3000 with your NB clock.

In terms of prime95 and stability testing, I'd prefer AIDA64 version 2.8 since it has a battery of torture tests combined with real time temperature plotting of the mainboard, cores, Hard drives, etc. In addition, providing real time voltage monitoring during the torture tests, so you have exacting information to help you reach a stable config. Prime is fairly aggressive, and people often struggle to get it to run for the "two hour" gold medal. In the server world, since its mission critical, this would be considered standard. But for a desktop I'd say you have a little more slack to work with. Just something to keep in mind to help you reach your goal.

Nothing wrong with CoreTemp. It's just that most of the helping community on this forum uses HWMonitor and so it helps if we all use the same tool. And like I said, HWMonitor tells everything CoreTemp does and more. AIDA64 is a great tool, too, but most of us aren't use to it and we can't find the stuff we're looking for in the interface as readily.

So,some time passed,and i played with OC settings a little bit more...Here is what i have

CPU Clock 3.3 Ghz (254x13) at 1.4V
NB Clock 2540 Mhz (its max i can go with multiplier,i can go up only by raising IMC) at 1.35V
HT Clock cca. 2000mhz
DRAM Clock around 1690 Mhz (i set the XMP timings,and raised voltage to appropiate 1.65v)

I only raised voltages for RAM (because specification said so for XMP) and CPU-NB (because it was running unstable without it at 2540mhz NB clock).Rest remained on Auto.My NB multiplier is capped out,so my only left option to up the NB clock is raising IMC.

What is my next step?Still increase IMC until i hit a wall,or are these settings best i can get,because if i raise IMC i will have to downclock the RAM multiplier which will result in RAM frequency below 1500mhz,or in the best case scenario around it.Also,should i fiddle with CPU voltage because its kinda high even right now (1.4V)?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• CPU-Z+HWMonitor.JPG
    CPU-Z+HWMonitor.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 231
You know, I had an AII X4 630 that I was able to get to 3.6 Prime95 stable on about 1.485 volts with a top of the line air cooler (Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme) but I ran it 24/7 on about 1.425 vcore because I wasn't comfortable at that time with 1.485 vcore. I share that to give you some perspective as to what you can expect. Your cooler is not nearly what mine was.

I just realised something - if my DRAM clock is higher than 1600mhz Windows will report that 8 GB of ram is detected,but only 3.99GB usable.I just lowered RAM multiplier by one and that problem was gone.So i guess i have some more options to play with now that i know over 1600mhz RAM is no-no.Thanks for input regarding your 630!Will try to clock this one more for sure.

I doubt that your CPU's integrated memory controller will allow you to be stable with the ram at 1600 mhz anyway. The ICM on those C2 stepping AII X4's was not very stout. My 640 would do 1500 mhz on the ram okay, however. What you need to come to is a balance between ram performance and CPU performance. If you want to push the FSB more in order to get better CPU speed you will have to lower your ram speed to make room for it or else the ram becomes unstable. But if you lower the ram speed to the previous level then you sacrifice ram performance. Do you see what I mean?

Yep,i actually do see,thats why i asked in first place is it even worth it to raise IMC anymore since i will have to downlock my memory by one multiplier.Now that i know i have to downclock it anyways or i wont have 8 gigs of memory usable,increasing IMC more is now viable option.Will report when i hit wall (i wont go over 1.425 Vcore),thanks! :)

AMD Athlon II X4 » 620
Frequency >> 2600 MHz
Bus speed >> 200 with 667 MHz Memory controller and
One 2000 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link
Clock multiplier >> 13
The fastest supported memory is DDR2-1066 and DDR3-1333
They did not manufacture those things very long.
Introduction date Sep 16, 2009
The processor was discontinued at the end of 1st quarter 2010
No L3 Cache

So as "trents" said you need to reach a balance. Lower the memory multiplier to keep ram close to DDR1333. Keep the HT Ref Frequency at or close to 2000Mhz. CPU_NB voltage up to 1.35V will not hurt anything but it might make for more heat on the processor since the CPU_NB aKa memory controller is internal to the cpu now. CPU_NB voltage to 1.35V may allow stable CPU_NB of 2600Mhz or so.

Keep the cpu socket temp 70c or less and the CPU Package/core temps less than 60c and push it until you cannot run 2 hours Prime 95 Blend stable and then back down some and that will be it. Nothing to it but a good deal of trial and error at your keyboard and the end result will be the balance and all you will be able to overclock up to.
RGone...

I think i hit a wall with auto voltages,and upping the voltage just doesn't seem to help at all,if i increase it just tad bit it crashes in Prime95 almost immidiately,don't know how that could be the case,it just is.Everything is in attachment,except two facts - NB freq is at 2580 Mhz and DRAM freq at 667.4x2 (i made sure to set timings/voltage properly).

I have few questions regarding some highlighted info in picture i posted - first,my TMPIN1 is the highest temp in HWMonitor,and for my mobo (MSI 970A-G46) its VRM if im not mistaken.I read somewhere that everything below or around 80C in full load is alright,is that correct or i read wrong info?

Second question is - is my CPU voltage too high (you can see it highlighted in CPU-z) for this clock?Im not sure about that,i left it at auto,and i know 1.4v is stock voltage.So,should i try to lower it down as long as it is stable,or is this ok?

Thank you for your help in advance!Also,keep in mind these temps are at 45% of my CPU fan speed,as shown in HWMonitor.

Attachments

• AllLOAD.JPG
    AllLOAD.JPG
    346.6 KB · Views: 211
WakeVajZet, I would ask that you load those crop, save and upload those images individually as when you make one image out of a whole group of things like that it winds up being so small my almost 62 year old eyes cannot quite make out the values on my 19" monitor. Yes, I know it's a little more work. You can link as many as three images per post with the built-in forum tool.

Eh,i realised that shortly after posting.I hope these are bigger...Keep in mind this is in second hour of Prime95 blend test,at 45% CPU fan speed as shown in HWMonitor.

Attachments

• CPU-Z Load.JPG
    CPU-Z Load.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 244
  • HWMonitor LOAD.JPG
    HWMonitor LOAD.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 217
Back