• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 SE, 3.0E, XP-90 and artic silver 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Juic3 said:
Yeah, makes sense to reseat, any pointers ? I did the arctic silver website instructions just like it says right there. I would have to remove the AS5 or not ? Ive read AS5 is kinda messy to take off.

Ill try turning the fans around too :D.

yes you will have to remove the as5, its not hard at all, just use some alc, it comes right off, then wipe with some kleenex or something

Id recommend using a bit more as5 then it says on the site, as cpus with an ihs tend to have higher corners

D

Ok, Ill get to that in a sec, about the fans, what would you recommend from newegg and maybe svc, but I would like to limit to newegg, except if the price is way too high, seems like I need one 90mm and one 80mm, I wouldnt mind buyin a couple more of each to have lying around.

A quick google search on the 80mm model that came with the case shows a 32 CFM, no info on the 90mm.

Juic3 said:
Ok, Ill get to that in a sec, about the fans, what would you recommend from newegg and maybe svc, but I would like to limit to newegg, except if the price is way too high, seems like I need one 90mm and one 80mm, I would mind buyin a couple more of each to have lying around.

A quick google search on the 80mm model that came with the case shows a 32 CFM, no info on the 90mm.

svc and sidewinder have better prices on fans (sidewinder I like because they include a cable with the panaflos, most other stores sell panaflos without a cable)

32cfm is decent if its real, intake ? is your exhaust the 92 ? if so then the exhaust should be even better, I rarely see 92s with less than 32cfm
something odd here, do you run the case closed or open ? with good airflow the case should be closed or the airflow wont work properly
however try it with the case open and check the temps, if they go down you need new fans
also is your fan on the xp blowing down ? it should

D

you'll want to clean it off with 99% alchyhol if possible. its cheap at the hardware store, and if all you can find is 70%ish, it will work too, just takes more elbow grease.

to reapply,i usually use a dab about the size of a large grain of rice on the heat spreader.

sometimes i wrap my finger in saran wrap, and smear a VERY thin coating on the heatsink itself, then the grain of rice on the heatspreader.

also, its not a universal truth that you add 10c to the temps on an asus board. if it were that simple, asus would just fix it with a bios update. the fact is, every mobo will read temps SLIGHTLY different.

i'd say you are at a point with 40ish idle that you can safely start ocing, and see how high you can go. if you see instability, THEN you know for sure you are running too warm, and you should drop your temps, or your oc.

Ok, just got done reseating it, and now at idle Im doing 39/40C and load 46/47C, almost the same but a bit better I guess.

Ill start overclocking I guess, what would you guys recommend ? Do I go as far as this vcore will let me ? Or should I start bumping it up ? Thats what affecs the temps the most.

Juic3 said:
I removed the xp-90 and the AS5 is definitely not spread out equally, so what method should I use, after cleaning it all of course.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

check post #21

Juic3 said:
Ok, just got done reseating it, and now at idle Im doing 39/40C and load 46/47C, almost the same but a bit better I guess.

Ill start overclocking I guess, what would you guys recommend ? Do I go as far as this vcore will let me ? Or should I start bumping it up ? Thats what affecs the temps the most.

did you follow post #21 ? also let it sit in, as5 usually needs a few days for best performance

for starters stay on stock v, you should always stay on stock for starters

D

Last edited:
Yeah, I put it in a lil extra :p

Ugh when testing overclocked settings the FAN still goes nuts and starts beeping in asus probe. Why does it do that ?

Juic3 said:
Yeah, I put it in a lil extra :p

Ugh when testing overclocked settings the FAN still goes nuts and starts beeping in asus probe. Why does it do that ?

I really dont know that one as I dont use asus probe, try using on of the other softs and monitor the fan under OC

D

Ok, Ive tried:
CPU: 220
DRAM: 320
Everything else on auto, the CPU is idle at 42/43C and load at 49/50C. Ran Prime95 for 2 hours and 21 minutes, I know its not enough, Ill leave it running later.

I guess Ill just see how far this voltage lets me go, my question is what would be the absolute highest recomended for LOAD temperatures.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
you could try setting up your case fans in reverse, with the rear being intake and the front pushing it outta the case.

that way you would be feeding fresh air to the hsf, and the air wouldn't be hitting your video card before the cpu.

While I encourage trying different case fan configurations, my experience has shown that air movement front to back and bottom to top works the best. The main problem with using a rear case fan as an intake is that you will be drawing in warm air that is being exhausted from the power supply. Some people make a chimney for the power supply to prevent this from happening, but it's easier to make all rear fans exhaust. One of the best ways it get fresh air into the CPU area is to cut a hole in the side panel and mount an intake fan there.

true true batboy. i've tried nearly every config in the book myself, just testing to see what would get my case the coldest. just looking at the pic of his case, it looked to me that the cpu could be starved for fresh air (with his hd, vid card, wires in the way).

my line of thought was that hot air rises, and any hot air being pumped out of the psu would have LESS of a chance being pushed over the cpu as say, the hot air being drawn in from the front that hits the vid card first.

for sure tho, the way to go is cutting the case and adding another fan, right above the hsf. i made a tube out of cardboard that links them up, so that all the fresh air hits my cpu.

Thats my thought exactly, Im cutting the case right in front of the HSF and putting a duct there, thing is the xp-90 is huge so theres little space for the duct.

Another thought was http://www.overclockers.com/tips1177/ . Anyone done it ?

On another note, Im also looking to upgrade my RAM, for something that maybe doesnt go past $130, maybe kingston hyper x 3200, or ocz EL, any recommendations ?

Last edited:
Juic3 said:
Thats my thought exactly, Im cutting the case right in front of the HSF and putting a duct there, thing is the xp-90 is huge so theres little space for the duct.

Another thought was http://www.overclockers.com/tips1177/ . Anyone done it ?

On another note, Im also looking to upgrade my RAM, for something that maybe doesnt go past $130, maybe kingston hyper x 3200, or ocz EL, any recommendations ?

simple answer - ocz pc4000/4200 gold rev2 (hynix chips)
best (medium v) stuff for 865/875 intel

D

ZL1 said:
simple answer - ocz pc4000/4200 gold rev2 (hynix chips)
best (medium v) stuff for 865/875 intel

D

Thats a bit high for my budget, I was looking to spend 130$ tops for a dual channel kit(2x512), and I need to make up my mind today hehe.

Juic3 said:
Thats a bit high for my budget, I was looking to spend 130$ tops for a dual channel kit(2x512), and I need to make up my mind today hehe.

well those are great as they will go 1:1 all the way to 270 or so with decent timings (I was able to run 270 2.5-3-3-5 with 2.8v)
but if you cant afford them another choice is to go with bh5/utt, you wont get 1:1 without high voltage, but you will be able to run 5:4 with very nice timings
look for ocz pc3200 gold

D

ZL1 said:
well those are great as they will go 1:1 all the way to 270 or so with decent timings (I was able to run 270 2.5-3-3-5 with 2.8v)
but if you cant afford them another choice is to go with bh5/utt, you wont get 1:1 without high voltage, but you will be able to run 5:4 with very nice timings
look for ocz pc3200 gold

D

Yeah OCZ Gold is nice, I bought it for a friend on A64, I dont really wanna go higher than 2.8V, 3.0V tops, dont know if this board can do that.

Right now Im doing 5:4 and 3 4 4 8 on my Kingston Value Ram, thats pretty high isnt it ? How can I see how far I can go with 1:1 ? Or where do I manually set that in ?

Oh btw Im past 8 hours in prime95 at 230 FSB and DRAM at 320, the CPU tops out at 49C and Mobo at 28C, I installed an extra intake fan at the front below the DVD-RW and that sure made a difference, still gotta make it stick and pretty it up because its not lookin real nice :p.

My case came with a duct more to the left side of the side cover, because of the xp-90 size, I had to remove this duct, should I install another exhaust fan there? Seems to fit an 80mm fan. I was also planning on cuttin a good piece of the side cover and installing some plexiglass and there cut a hole for a small duct directly into the xp-90.

Juic3 said:
Yeah OCZ Gold is nice, I bought it for a friend on A64, I dont really wanna go higher than 2.8V, 3.0V tops, dont know if this board can do that.

Right now Im doing 5:4 and 3 4 4 8 on my Kingston Value Ram, thats pretty high isnt it ? How can I see how far I can go with 1:1 ? Or where do I manually set that in ?

Oh btw Im past 8 hours in prime95 at 230 FSB and DRAM at 320, the CPU tops out at 49C and Mobo at 28C, I installed an extra intake fan at the front below the DVD-RW and that sure made a difference, still gotta make it stick and pretty it up because its not lookin real nice :p.

My case came with a duct more to the left side of the side cover, because of the xp-90 size, I had to remove this duct, should I install another exhaust fan there? Seems to fit an 80mm fan. I was also planning on cuttin a good piece of the side cover and installing some plexiglass and there cut a hole for a small duct directly into the xp-90.

2.8-2.85 is max on these boards, I wish 3v was possible :)

you can see how far you can go 1:1 by setting the ram to 400 and raising the fsb very slowly and running memtest (loop test 5 for quick results)

you can try a fan there, intake or exhaust, play with different configs see what gets you best temps

D

Definitely put an intake fan where the duct was originally. Usually it's a bolt in for an 80mm fan.

Nothing wrong with running the 5:4 ratio as long as you can crank up the FSB and tighten timings. But, if you insist on getting cheap RAM that will run 250 FSB with low voltage (even though it will probably be with loose timings), then any RAM rated at PC4000 will do that.

I see, ok Ill try an intake fan right there, that would make it 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust, or I just may try removing the 80mm thats in the front and putting it in the side, but that fans moving the air that the zalman is blowing hmmmm.

Oh I guess Ill be getting OCZ gold series PC3200 or KIngston HyperX 3200(any thoughts on this one please ? 119.99 at outpost.com), see how far I can go with low timings, will I gain much going from 3 4 4 8 to whatever I can get with the ocz, Im guessin 2.5 tops.

Guys, I really appreciate all the helpful info, thanx a bunch, youre all going to overclockers HEAVEN! :D

Back