• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P8P67 Pro Restarting During POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hercules331

So I have built my very first computer with specs below and have run into a POST problem. When I first put together the external build I had the CRAM issue with the LED staying on and used the MemOK! button and clear feature to fix the RAM compatibility issue. Also, for the external build I used the stock CPU fan instead of my H80. Once the memory issue was fixed, the computer was able to complete full POST and display the BIOS; however, I had an “Out of Range” issue on my crappy monitor because for some reason the monitor tells the video card to use 59hz when really it only supports 60hz. This has been a known issue with these monitors and it doesn’t really affect my POST problem (at least I don’t think so, maybe it does). After pulling out an old monitor to ensure the computer was POSTing and running the BIOS, I moved onto the internal build. For the internal build I installed the H80 hydrocooler and my storage drives. After installing Windows 7 to the SSD I was able to change the resolution settings so I can now use my Westinghouse monitor. I also installed my magnetic hard drive with no issues. So now Windows is running fine.

EXCEPT when I try to turn on the computer. Whenever I shutdown the computer and later turn it on, the computer restarts itself during POST. To make sure its not the power button I turn on the computer by shorting the leads on the motherboard. The computer will turn on and the fans will start spinning and the computer will begin POST, as far as I can tell it restarts when it checks the GPU and sometimes the CPU (I can tell this by the LEDs on the mobo). The LEDs usually go like this: CRAM (ok), CPU (ok), GPU stays lit for a little bit then the CPU LED lights up for a millisecond and the computer turns off. After being off for maybe 1 second it turns back on and goes through POST again. Now this second time it will usually complete POST and boot into Windows with no issue and then as far as I can tell Windows runs fine. Sometimes it will restart twice or thrice during POST but it always is able to eventually boot into Windows. Also, during POST, the splash screen, and BIOS, the video card is outputting the signal that is Out of Range for my monitor so I cant see anything on the screen until the Windows login screen appears. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the restarting problem but obviously that’s why Im here. Another thing Im too sure about is how to plug in the CPU cooler. The wire that comes off the cooler only has one lead on it, and I was told to plug this into the CPU fan plug on the motherboard, but that plug has four leads, so Im not sure if this is done right or if the motherboard thinks there is no CPU fan plugged in (or if that even matters to the mobo). The fans in the hydrocooler do turn on but they get their own power from a MOLEX plug. The PSU is a pretty good one with 750 watts and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it. So bottom line, my computer restarts a couple times (sometimes once) during POST (when the GPU or CPU LEDs are lit) but always eventually boots into Windows. My thoughts are maybe its due to the aftermarket cooler or video card giving an Out or Range signal to the monitor. Remember that it wasn’t restarting during POST on the external build. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU
ASUS P8P67 Pro REV 3.1
Intel Core i7 2600K
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 mhz
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 570
Corsair H80 CPU Hydrocooler
Plextor M2 128GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm
ASUS CD/DVD Burner
Windows 7 64bit (installed on SSD)
Westinghouse L2610NW monitor

I get the same issue with my p8z68v pro. it doesnt always do it, but it does sometimes. looking at our systems, the only parts that are the same is our ram. Could it be the ram??
Ive baffled over this for a while. with no obvious outcome.

Back