• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p8z77-m. No boot. Defect, incompatibility or config? [help!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dream3

Registered
Hello people!

I did what I thought would be a very nice upgrade to my pc with these parts:

2x corsair vengeance 8gb
mb p8z77-m
i7 3770k
cooler hyper 212 evo

I put those together with the old ones:

gpu ati 5770
PSU corsair 650w.

(Before that, I had a p5kpl-1600 + quadcore q8200 + 4gb ram generic)

I put it all together, without touching anything but the parts itself while I was installing them.

When I first turn the pc on, parts worked, fan spinning, but I heard a beep noise, pause, then 5 bore beeps. Then the screen showed CPU FAN ERROR. Turned it all off, connected only 1 fanf rom the hyper to the mobo and tried again.

This time the standby green light kept flashing and the pc wouldnt turn on. Tried to change the jumper position, as the manual said, remove the battery as well, but nothing. Pulled out some parts and pushed them in again, tried to connect both 4 pins ATX from the PSU instead of only one, as the mobo is ATX 8 pins. Nothing again.

Got pissed, waited a while, did some more of that remove-plug back stuff and it turned back on. I hear the same beep sequence. And that's whats been happening ever since. Alternating between standby flashing and no power at all to beep sequence when I power it on.

Smart fellas, whats going on? Please dont tell me the mobo is faulty!

Maybe it's some configuration I forgot?
Or my PSU wont handle this mobo?
Or this mobo needs a 8 pin ATX from the PSU, instead the 2x 4pins I have now?
Or RAM incompatibility? (I didnt see the 8gb corsair in the manual list)
Or even CPU or cooler issue?
Or BIOS needs to be updated?

I tried to assemble on my own this machine cause so far everything had worked. Really, I have no idea what to do when these hardware failures occur!

ANY help is very welcome!

Run the DRAM SPD onboard to check for DIMM errors. Also, AMI BIOS used to have the 5 beeps as a CPU or expansion card error. What does your manual say about the UEFI verion beep codes?

Did you use thermal paste? Check for bent CPU pins? Check the seating of any expansion cards?

Just some ideas. :cool:

Hi Robert!

Thanks for you reply!

First, how do I do that DRAM SPD onboard check?

About the beep codes, all I found was a manual on the net regarding another p8z77 model, and it didnt contain any notes regarding 1 + 5 beeps, only 1+ 4 beeps.

I used thermal paste yes. Gonna check the cpu pins and reinstall the cards!

1 long + 5 short is related to the cpu, are you sure you are connecting the 4 pin PWM fan to the cpu fan header? If you connect a 3 pin fan to the cpu fan header it will give you this error.

Im sure. IM connecting the 4 pin end that comes with the hyper 212 evo fan.

Do you think it might have to do with the thermal paste or some installation mistake i mighta done with the cooler?

When, eventually, I get to the point the PC turns on, this is what I get in the screen:

AMI BIOS 2012...
ASUS p8z77-m ACPI BIOS REVISION 1616
CPU i7-3770k @ 3,5 GHz
SPEED 3500 MHZ

TOTAL MEMORY 8192 MB (DDR3-1600)
USB TOTAL DEVICES: 1 mouse 2 hubs

*PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO RECOVER BIOS SETTINGS.
CPU FAN ERROR
NO KEYBOARD DETECTED
PRESS F1 to RUN SETUP*

Last edited:
I doubt it has something to do with the TIM or installation of the cooler, though I have seen stranger things happen. You may want to pull the 212 off and just check the cpu for bent pins or if it is seated correctly. Then clean the cpu and 212 with alcohol using a coffee filter to clean it. The coffee filter doesn't leave any fibers unlike paper towels and such. When you get the cpu fan error message is the fan spinning?

Yes, the CPU fan is spinning!

Now I tried to attach another piece of ram to see if it would be recognized and it wont start up again!

That evil cursed damn standby green light keeps flashing! I then tried to remove everything again, leaving just the cooler, 4 pin + 24 pin from MB, and chassis power connector so I could push the power button. NOTHING! Same flashing green light.

Im gonna recheck the cpu + cooler thing but in the mean time, wtf does that green light mean? How do I turned it off? Or how do I fix it so it will let me turn on the pc?

You need to look up what a flashing green light means, look in the manual and see what light it is ie memory, cpu etc.

Theres nothing like that in the manual. It only says it's the standby light and you should power off before removing stuff when it's on. But nothing about flashing light.

Im gonna have to google it a bit more.

If anyone knows more about my case, please dont hesitate to post!

Remove the board from the case and assemble it on your desk w/ only the bare essentials connected, meaning no HDDs, ODDs, PCI / PCIe cards, etc. Besides the CPU, HSF, RAM, and PSU connections, install the videocard, connect the monitor, keyboard, and the mouse. If the board still won't power on, try a different PSU plugged directly into the wall (not plugged into a power strip or UPS).

Alright. I did that and I managed to turn on the pc. Before that, I reinstalled the cpu + cooler and reapplied the thermal paste.

Now it is all open, only the 2 tax cables + front panel + 16gb RAM + CPU_FAN connected.

It loads, does the beeps all over and reads the 16gb ram, as well as the CPU specs.

BUT the CPU Fan error is still there!

I also changed the cooler fan.

What might that be?

If you are definitely plugging in a PWM fan "4 pin connector" maybe you have a ban fan header. Do you have another PWM fan that you could try?

I have 2 PWM fans for the hyper 212. Im testing them now.

It seems now Ive managed to get into the mobo utility interface.

The CPU_FAN reading is at 660 RPM. This time I got no error.

I guess I wont be needing to set that speed limit right?

Just gotta keep testing till I find the guilty cause Im pretty sure this is a one time thing. I bet next reset ill get the errors again.

Ok some news here!

I replaced the Corsair 650w for an older coolermaster PSU, 430w and I havent gotten the flashing light since.

I cant believe it was the PSU...really, it was working just fine before this upgrade.

1- Is it worth trying to fix this PSU or trash straight on?

Then, I still had the CPU fan error. So I tricked the system and put the top fans in the CPU_FAN and the actual hyper 212 fans in the CHA_FANX. I havent got the error since.

2- Is that bad at all? Does this mean both hyper 212 fans had issues with the connector?

Now I tried to boot windows, with my old drive with all my files but all I get is an instant blue screen, just after the little windows 7 lights appear.

3- Is that a hardware issue or Im just gonna have to create a brand new windows partition?

You probably need to put the motherboard sata into IDE instead of AHCI in order to get it to boot. The other option is to do a fresh install but probably not what you want to do because you have files on the hd.

You probably need to put the motherboard sata into IDE instead of AHCI in order to get it to boot. The other option is to do a fresh install but probably not what you want to do because you have files on the hd.

Can I change it back to AHCI after Im able to access the OS? Cause Ive read AHCI is the way to go nowadays.

Back