• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot Viper 3400 C16 Ram at full 3400mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coop5796

Registered
Hello Everyone.

I am new to this forum so I will try my best to explain my issue. I am having some issues clocking my ram to full speed. I bought a Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming motherboard and I have tried the XMP profile for my ram without any luck. The ram is Patriot Viper 3400 C16 Series and clocks at 3400 Mhz. The voltage is 1.35 volts and timings are 16-18-18-36-68. The processor I have is a Intel I5 6600k. I have been told the limitation exist with the 6600k's memory controller and I should have went with an I7 processor. I am basically trying to clock the ram ,mhz as high as possible without causing stability issues( I suppose that is everyone's goal). I have been able to get the ram up to 3200 mhz but had issues with my bios not posting 6 months later and had to clear the cmos. I bought two dual channel kits and the size of the dims are 8GB for a total of 32gb. I may should have bought quad channel ram. I overclocked the 6600k from 3.5 ghz to 3.9mhz to allow the memory controller to have a little more breathing room. I am just trying to get some advice about tighting my timings and what I can adjust voltage wise to gain stability. Hopefully this makes sense I know its a lot of information. I have also tried to manually set my timings with no luck. I am just trying to figure out if the limitation is my board processor or incompatible ram. Let me know if I can provide anymore info.

Thanks,

Coop

Regardless if it's 6600K or 6700K, IMC is about the same ... matter of luck. In this case it's more like a motherboard issue or BIOS settings.
Check if higher voltages are helping ... I mean 1.4V memory voltage, add +0.1V VCCIO and VCCSA ( can be callled a bit different ).
Try to change memory to manual mode instead of XMP and set main timings to 16-18-18-36 and command rate 2N. Motherboard should adjust all other timings.
If memory chips are the same then it doesn't matter if you buy 1, 2 or 4 memory sticks in one package. Problems can be caused by 4 memory modules in general as it's easier to overclock 2 memory sticks than 4. On the other hand 3400 should be still not so hard but I'm not sure how your motherboard reacts to this memory.
Can also try something like 3200 15-17-17 or 3200 15-15-15 at 1.35V. Performance should be better than at 3400 CL16-18-18.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try this tonight. I guess from what your saying 1.4V memory voltage is pretty safe? I suppose the difference between 1.35 and 1.4 is marginal? I just didn't want to burn up the dims if that makes sense. I appreciate all the help once again. I will report back on how far I get. Do you believe clocking the 6600k higher would help? I have a descent coolers so I can go a little higher if needed.

It's a dual channel board and CPU, so you won't be running quad regardless of RAM selection. What you have is two instances of dual channel. Have you tried setting the speed/timings manually with XMP turned off? Something like Aida64 or Thaiphoon Burner will give you a more complete listing of sub timings for your XMP profile, too.

I would,
Raise VCCIO to 1.200v
Raise VCCSA (System Agent( to 1.200v
Set multiplier to 34x and disable XMP
Set timings and sub timings to XMP settings

edit: Woomack beat me to it. Go with Woomack's advice.

Last edited:
Do you believe clocking the 6600k higher would help?
Not at all.

What motherboard do you have? Is it using the latest BIOS? Most 6600K's shouldn't have an issue reaching those speeds.

Pretty much everything in computer hardware is safe at voltage up to +10%, most components can handle more. In theory, DDR4 shouldn't run at much more than 1.25V but most enthusiast/gamer series are specified at 1.35-1.40V. Some earlier DDR4 kits were specified to run at 1.5V and were still perfectly safe ( with lifetime warranty ). If DDR4 won't like too high voltage then will simply lose stability or freeze during PC start. On the other hand I don't recommend more than ~1.45V for 24/7 work as hard to say what will happen during long full load.

Not at all.

What motherboard do you have? Is it using the latest BIOS? Most 6600K's shouldn't have an issue reaching those speeds.

Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming is in 1st post :)

On the other hand I don't recommend more than ~1.45V for 24/7 work as hard to say what will happen during long full load.

And that is why my memory OC revolved around getting the best results under that ceiling. I got faster speeds at higher voltages, but didn't want to risk it. The only reason I even felt comfortable answering the OP was my having a similar mobo.

Maybe you can give more tips about settings as I don't remember what was in Gigabyte Z170 mobos ... and you run at 3733 so it's pretty good result.
I'm not sure what IC is in this Patriot 3400 memory. If it's Samsung then it should run higher ( Patriot Viper 4 were often on Samsung at 3200+ ). Can always try with 2 sticks in 2/4 slots ( counting from CPu side ) and if it boots then I would check higher voltages to improve signals and help IMC.

Yeah, the 3400 MHz w/C16 didn't scream Samsung at me. C16-16-16 maybe, but 16-18-18 seems kind of loose for the B dies. With four slots populated and 32 GBs of RAM, it may be on the edge with Hynix ICs.

- - - Updated - - -

Great! Is it using the latest BIOS is the point there. :)

f23h would be current, but f21 was the last XMP/performance BIOS. The rest seem to be microcode fixes.

Last edited:
I am running the latest version of the bios. Version F23h to be exact which came out in January. Hopefully this is helpful.

Indeed. You are as set as you are going to be.

With 32gb, youll likely need to add some VCCSA and VCCIO to reach those speeds. Take two sticks out leaving the others in the proper slots. Then set xmp. It should work, then the trick is seeing if SA and IO voltages work.

I have no idea how much you know, so please forgive anything you already know that I've said.

My settings. Yours will obviously vary, but I don't know how familiar you are with your BIOS, and it should be laid out the same.
RAM settings 1.JPG

Channel A Sub Timings (B should be identical)
RAM settings2.JPG

RAM settings3.JPG

RAM settings4.JPG

Numbers in the right column are either what the board thinks they should be if set manually, or where they are if left on Auto. The mobo isn't always right. Example: It thinks I should run 15-15-15, but it either won't boot or isn't stable at my voltage ceiling there.

My DRAM voltage is set to 1.460v, but measures 1.450v with a VOM. Software isn't accurate enough to play on the edge, so 1.45v is probably as high as I would go without the ability to measure it with hardware. Get as many of the sub timings as you can from a utility I mentioned and enter them manually.

Some people work their way up with speed/timings and raise voltage for stability. I went right to my voltage limit and worked towards the best speed I could achieve, then tightened timings within those parameters. Thaiphoon Burner will also tell you who made the ICs, whether or not they're single rank and who made them. That info will give you an idea of where your expectations should reasonably be.

Some starting points
CL+tRCD+2=tRAS
tRAS+CL=tRC
tRRDx4=tFAW
RAM Speed (1/2 rated speed*) x 7.8=tREFI @JEDEC standard
*RAM Speed (3400) divided by 2=1700

Thanks Everyone, So I played around tonight with the timings of 3400mhz at 16-18-18-36 1.4V and 3200 mhz at 15-17-17 and 3200 15-15-15 at 1.35V. I also tried raising the voltage of the VCCIO to 1.200v and VCCSA to 1.200v. (It was called something different). I could not get it to post. I haven't yet tried removing the other two dims. I am going to try what Alaric outlined in his screenshots. Thanks so much for all this help this forum is awesome. I will keep playing and report back.

Still didn't work I could not get it to post even when I followed the above screenshots. I am starting to wonder if I am just unlucky with this board or maybe the combination of this board and memory. Anyone to know what Gigabyte calls the VCCSA and VCCIO settings in there bios? I believe I found the correct settings under the CPU Chipset Voltages(I believe that is what it was called)I can look more tonight I just wanted to make sure I am adjusting the right setting. I will also try the two dims and use Thaiphoon Burner to identify the memory controller. I will mention last week for some reason I could not get the board to post and had to reset the cmos bios defaults with a Flathead screw driver in a powered off state. What was odd I really wasn't doing any type of tweaking at that time and the computer had functioned for six months with no issues. I had used the XMP profile and then lowered the clock speed from 3200mhz. Apologies if this useless information. If this is helpful I pulled these XMP settings previously from Cpu-z. I found out the memory part number is PV416G340C6K. Cpu-z says Manufacturer (ID) Patriot Memory (7F7F7F7F7F020000000000).

XMP #1 9.0-11-11-21-39-n.a @ 956 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #2 11.0-13-13-25-47-n.a @ 1169 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #3 12.0-14-14-27-52-n.a @ 1275 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #4 13.0-15-15-30-56-n.a @ 1381 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #5 14.0-16-16-32-60-n.a @ 1488 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #6 15.0-17-17-34-64-n.a @ 1594 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #7 16.0-18-18-36-68-n.a @ 1700 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #8 17.0-18-18-36-68-n.a @ 1700 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #9 18.0-18-18-36-68-n.a @ 1700 MHz (1.350 Volts)
XMP #10 19.0-18-18-36-68-n.a @ 1700 MHz (1.350 Volts)

SMBus address 0x52
Memory type DDR4
Module format UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Patriot Memory (7F7F7F7F7F020000000000)
Size 8192 MBytes
Max bandwidth DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz)
Part number 3400 C16 Series
Nominal Voltage 1.20 Volts
EPP no
XMP yes
XMP revision 2.0
AMP no

Thaiphoon Burner can't show more details about IC manufacturer etc ?

For some reason the latest version from official website is blocked by antivirus which is saying it contains troyan. I've attached last one from my drive which is showing everything for me. Not sure what version you have.

Here is screenshot of 2x8GB Patriot Viper 4 3733, can compare to what you have in your window. This is Samsung B / 2x8GB single side modules.
vip3733.jpg

Attachments

• Thaiphoon.zip
    879.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hope you guys are doing well. Been away for a few days. So I am having issues with my board even with default manufacturers bios settings it seems to be hit or miss if it post. I talked to Gigabyte and they offered me and RMA but it sounds like I may get a Refurbish Board. At this point I am considering upgrading the board and wondered if you guys had any recommendations of a board that will work with this ram? Just trying to utilize the XMP the 3400 at full speeds. I am considering looking at the Asus Tuf series since it carries a five year warranty(not sure if that would be overkill). I suppose I could also go forward with the RMA and see if I have better luck. Most of the reviews I have read say this board dies after about a year of use so that is not to encouraging. Thanks for all your help I been reading through all the post and it is very useful information.

Back