• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc gaming on the couch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you can stream any game just ad it to the steam library as a non steam game :) can even launch programs like this, like i launch dayz commander through steam to load the mod on the game.

I live by myself, in a trailer, so my 42" tv is legs length from the couch, usually have my feet on the lower shelf of the end table it's sitting on, pc right next to it, the other end table, with a smaller tv I plan on hooking up to my comp so I can have the internet open there, love that when I'm playing a game and want to look something up, or if I'm doing any engineering stuff, whatever, comes in handy often. I have the Logitech MK520 wireless keyboard and mouse, my couch cushion works with my mouse, no need for a mouse pad, and the keyboard is right on my lap, unless I'm using my Logitech F310 controller, which looks like a PS controller, but has the Xbox button labels, and a switch on the back to go from one to the other, because some games are setup for Xbox controllers, others PS setup. I want to get http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/f710-wireless-gamepad so I'm completely wireless. This would still work quite well if I wasn't less than 5 feet from my tv, though if you don't have kids, I'd put the tower next to the couch, so it's easy to power on, and the wireless items are closer, don't know how far they reach, but I'm sure it's at least as far as your typical living room. I also have http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-1-Speaker-System/dp/B0002WPSCG speakers hooked up to it, so I have full surround sound, though it isn't setup properly, just moved in here a few weeks ago, haven't unpacked half my stuff, but my comp is running like a champ, and I have found a fairly decent way to setup my speakers without bothering to mount them or anything at all lol.

Your tower doesn't have to be very close to your tv at all, HDMI cables can be stupid long, but if you have kids, especially younger ones, then I wouldn't put the tower next to the couch in the open, I'd put it with the entertainment center if possible...

I'm also going to be getting a Logitech G25 or G27 steering wheel, and then I'll be setting up my racing seat also in the living room, but I'll probably have to get another tv for that, though if I get a nice comfy seat from a car, I can game in that, and be able to recline and everything.... Cheaper than a new tv huh? Just have to customize so I have easy access to ash tray, something to hold my keyboard and mouse when not in use, somewhere to set my pop, got some brainstorming to do now. What do you think, leather heated seats? :p Probably try to find a standard, but comfy bucket seat from some sports car at the bone yard...

The most important thing when it comes to "couch games" is a good pad, such as the Xbox Controller that can be used on PC too. Makes it so much more "dynamic" when it comes to input, can be used absolutly everywhere without a table, mouse pad or whatever...Im very much used to "pad" so it plays a important role when it comes to gameplay, and absolutly any game that works great with pad (especially my beloved RPGs) is easyer to play for me compared to a "PC spec approach", and i can always relax because i am not a hardcore counter cruncher with the demand in order to bang my head toward the wall when to many hardcore fails. I usualy play games in order to "cruise"... simply explore and enjoy what it got to offer in a relaxing way. Of course there is hardcore stuff using pad too on consoles, but most people may have few clue. Certainly i got very high console experience, much more than PC but i got lot of experience on PC too. The PC part that i love the most is the modding of certain games, it allows for incredible custom, thats basically the fun part of PC gaming... that cant be done on console and thats the main reason i play a game on PC. Modding the game to the very edge a hardware can handle... but with couch gaming included. Simply the best of the best at one single spot. But usualy i enjoy console gaming more... PC is a machine usually used for modding in order to push the limit beyond "common sense" a freaked out condition of simply achieve the maximum possible and no less, but with games that actually support pad, for example Skyrim. So i actually know the "graphical" capabilities of PC but "standard" is not good enough for me... if i go PC i want to get more than the stuff a dev was able to put out... thats how i see PC gaming... either play it the true way or i will simply enjoy the relaxing console atmosphere, both got pros and cons and nothing is supreme.

Some games are played better by mouse, strategy (Civ, RTS...), some online games (EVE, WoW... whatever fits the PC you name it) and such. But i try to use a pad as much as possible, and i hate PC games that would run perfectly fine using a pad (Risen, Omikron, Jade Empire which had very bad PC support but good for Xbox) but just no support... it would make "couch gaming" so much easyer. Another example is Oblivion, a OK pad support on Xbox360 but almost no support for PC.

Anyway, dependable on game, some are great using pad* and others dont but those that work fine are great "couch games"... and there is many of them able to go along very well using Pad, for example Tomb Raider, Skyrim and and and... *Purely by gameplay design, the finetuning or support is not taken into account here.

Last edited:
Back