• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PC Has gone belly up, can anyone help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starry21

Basically my PC has gone belly up, it was working fine the other day in the morning, i came home from work and turned it on but it took over 2 hours to boot.
Now when i turn it on the monitor goes to sleep for 10 minutes, then when the monitor comes on it displays the boot screen (press del to enter bios and F12 to enter boot selection), after sitting on this screen for 10 minutes it them begins to boot up to the login screen but takes a further 15 minutes to do that.
once it finally boots up it runs fine until i come to shutdown which i have to do via CMD with a shutdown /p /f to force the command

I have reinstalled windows yesterday and also removed all ram and run a mem check with windows. replaced the GPU today with a ASUS R9 290 but that has not solved my issue, im about to try a BIOS update and see if that resolves the issue but would appreciate someones help. If anyone can help.

I am currently running windows 10
PC Specs:
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
AMD FX8350
ASUS R9 290
16GB DDR3 Corsair Ballistix

Thanks in advance
Adam

ive cleared CMOS by fitting jumper to motherboard, run chk dsk, run me test, tested psu, replaced gpu, reinstalled windows, updated bios to latest verion, unplugged all devices, unplugged all drives and tried to boot with no drives fitted, removed all ram and tested each stick. the only thing i havnt done is tested the motherboard.

i just dont get how it can take so long to boot up yet run perfectly fine while its running, ive checked event viewer and found some services that take ages to run but dont know how to fix them

Last edited:
Perhaps the HDD is going bad? When you reinstalled windows, did you format the drive and start over? Did you try with another drive?

i formatted the drive and started over, its a corsair 128gb ssd

- - - Updated - - -

id reformat again but it took over 4 hours to install windows yesterday because it is running so slow

What does SMART data show for the drive? Perhaps the drive is going bad...

Did you try with another drive? If it is 'snappy' then you know its the drive.

right, well i updated the drivers for the graphics card and unplugged both wifi adapter and internal card reader and now it runs fine. not sure how they could have caused such a massive issue but apparently they did
thanks everyone for your help
:)

Gee, I *was* going to say probably a drive failure.

I was like, nooooooooo! Especially a system that's not close to being ancient, at least yet.

Back