• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC keeps restarting without warning.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^ this. @Mr. Scotts post

Was wondering if he is pushing his CPU past where it ought to be, I know when I push my CPU past 4.68 or so, and package temps near 80c running HWbot x265, I get the same shutdown with no restart, just as if the power went out.

funny thing is, the package temp is higher than the reported CPU temp iin HWbot.

Last edited:
Yea, I think it's the PSU, it has been making wierd noises lately. How do you guys feel about the EVGA 1000w?

- - - Updated - - -

No it's not the oc of the CPU. I had it at 4.5, now it's at 4.2.

Ah, well, was just a guess :p

Well....1Kw

Are you planning on powering the rest of the house?
That seems a little overboard power wise.

Anyone else?

Yeah, I was pushing my FX-6100 to 4700+, it was not having it lol. *stock is 3300*

looking at the 2015 link: I do not think I would ever buy a PSU called supernova.......I do not want anything related to massive gravitational collapse leading to explosions anywhere near my PC.....well...aside from my surplus military gear.

- - - Updated - - -

I am likely in the market for a new PSU as well TBH, so ill be watching this thread for ideas

So , kernel power ID 41. That means windows did not shut down clean. Most often because of power outage.
So you're right back to the same thing, heat or power.

Narrows it down away from some of the unusual suspects at least. We'll see how the new psu goes :p

looking at the 2015 link: I do not think I would ever buy a PSU called supernova.......I do not want anything related to massive gravitational collapse leading to explosions anywhere near my PC.....well...aside from my surplus military gear.

- - - Updated - - -

I am likely in the market for a new PSU as well TBH, so ill be watching this thread for ideas

Hopefully you read how well rated the PSU is. But the name is pretty funny.

Hopefully you read how well rated the PSU is. But the name is pretty funny.

Yea, with a rating of 9.6 on one of the most well respected PSU reviewer's website dedicated to reviewing PSUs, I'd have absolutely no problem powering my equipment with that.

PC has not shut down since installing the new PSU on Sunday, guess that was it. Never again will I buy Kingwin products.

Never again will I buy Kingwin products.
Because you had ONE failure of a product? And I assume since you didn't RMA the PSU it was out of warranty...

You could have saved a ton of money by getting a PSU more appropriately sized for your build too FYI. Even dual 980s would EASILY run on a 750W PSU with overclocking both the GPUs and CPU. :)

That's clear you want overhead :). 850W is overhead for TWO 980s.

EDIT: I see you updated your signature to a 980Ti... an 850W PSU would be perfect for TWO of those. 1KW with one 980Ti was a waste of money. A 650W PSU would be plenty. You rig will peak around 400-425W when overclocked with one... right in the PSUs sweet spot.

Oh well. Its only money. We can make more!

Plan on adding a couple hard drives and maybe another 980 ti down the road, I just don't wanna have to buy another for a long while.

850W would be fine 'for a long while'. Including another 980 ti (as I said above), and HDD's are negligible (a few watts).

No worries. The deed is done. You just could have saved $50+ and still met your goals of having plenty of overhead and room for expansion. Next time. :)

Last edited:
Ok, apparently when I installed the new PSU CPU speeds went back to stock, it hasn't crashed until just now when I tried to raise the speeds back to 4.2. Temps never go above 70c with prime95 small fft's. So now what should I do?

Back