• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smasher03

I'll try to give as much info as i can. 4 weeks ago i ordered a second graphics with the same specs as the first card. (7970 Ghz edition) I took out my first card and still ran just 1 card for about 3 weeks just to make sure everything was fine with the 2nd card. Everything ran flawless. A few days ago i decide to finally crossfire them. Did a complete driver sweep update to the new driver from AMD. Everything was going great until suddenly both of my monitors goes black and nothing happens. No BSOD, no reboot, and no shutdown. The monitors just went black and the power buttons on both on them started to flash like they were waiting on a signal. It like my PC just went to sleep fans still running but nothing would happen. So my first thought was drivers, (cause we all know how AMD can be). Did a clean uninstall and driversweep install an older version i was tried early. Same thing, Thought maybe it was over heating, Nope Max temp was 70 on main card and 62 on secondary. It seems to be i can run a single card just fine but when i add the second everything goes to hell. Any suggestions on what it might be. The only other thing i can think of is the PSU might be going bad. Any advice would be great.

PC specs,

7970 Ghz edition (2)
Asus sabertooth Z87
SILVERSTONE Strider Gold 1200Watt

Smasher

Last edited:
You have both 8-pin PCI-e connectors on each card connected directly to the PSU? And have you tried moving the CF bridge to the other two bridge connectors?

You have both 8-pin PCI-e connectors on each card connected directly to the PSU? And have you tried moving the CF bridge to the other two bridge connectors?
Yes I have tried the other crossfire ports. I have connectors that have (2) 6 pins and 1 can go to 8 pins. Each card is on there own PSU port. I have even switch them around. I'll see if I can add 2 more cords directly to the PSU. Which will have a total of 4. I ran crossfire with 2 6970 a while ago with the same setup and it was flawless. Thanks for the reply.

Ok here is an update, I tried your suggestion and still no luck. I have both graphics cards hooked up directly to the PSU. With an AMD drivers it seems to put the second card to sleep when not in use. I have noticed that when it is a sleep for a while and the PC calls of the demand of both cards. It seems to happen then. It doesn't always happen but it does sometimes. It is also at random, sometimes in game and sometimes just surfing the web. Any other suggestions?

I have connectors that have (2) 6 pins and 1 can go to 8 pins.
^What does that mean?
Each card is on there own PSU port.
^What does that mean?
I'll see if I can add 2 more cords directly to the PSU. Which will have a total of 4.
^What? Aren't they all running off the PSU directly?

If you don't communicate more clearly, perhaps with pictures in this case, I don't think people are going to understand what you're saying.

I have connectors that have (2) 6 pins and 1 can go to 8 pins.
^What does that mean?
Each card is on there own PSU port.
^What does that mean?
I'll see if I can add 2 more cords directly to the PSU. Which will have a total of 4.
^What? Aren't they all running off the PSU directly?

If you don't communicate more clearly, perhaps with pictures in this case, I don't think people are going to understand what you're saying.

Each Card requires (1) 6 pin and (1) 8 pin for power. On my power supply it has 4 PCIE slots total. Which is 2 per card is how I now have it setup. How i had it setup before is with only 1 power cords for each card, because my power supply PCIE cables could attach a 6 and 8 pin per PCIE cord. The other guy recommend to make them separate. I have tried that and no luck.

Picture of the old cables. 1 PCIE cord per card.

Attachments

• 20140312_073846.jpg
    20140312_073846.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 16
Back