• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Wont Power On, Replaced PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowEW

Registered
Ok, here's the short.. essay..
Old PC died on me couple of months back, volt tested the PSU, PSU dead...

Couldn't be bothered to replace PSU and decided its time to upgrade, which I did (see signature)

Now, a friend of mine needs a PC, So I brought a replacement PSU for my old PC.. and.. nada... nothing..

Upon pressing the power button The CPU fan flickers for a second, (attempts to spin) and I get and LED on the GPU light up and go off...
All of this happens in less than... say... 0.1 seconds...

Taken all the RAM out, no boot.
Checked every stick individually.. no boot.
Disconnected GPU, RAM in,.. no boot..
Disconnected GPU, RAM .. no boot..
Disconnected GPU, RAM, HDD .. no boot..
Disconnected just HDD .. no boot..
Disconnected RAM and HDD.. No boot..
Disconnected everything... (CPU fan still connected) no boot...

Rundown of the Specs.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3
CPU: Athlon x2 6000+ 3GHz
GPU: Sapphire ATI HD4890 1GB
RAM: 4 x 2GB Generic 800MHz
New PSU: Coolermaster GX 550W
CPU Cooler: Nexus II/VIII Heatpipe
Case: Generic case, plenty of headroom, fans from front to rear in push pull config.. 4 x 11cm (edge of case to edge) fans....

Any help?

Edit: prior PSU was Nexus Modular 500W

Rewired the entire comp for the 5/6th time now. Still nothing.

I do have another Mobo, exact same model actually (brought a spare, was cheap at time, forward planning =3 )

I've tried connecting everything to that (out of case and on my desk) but still nothing.. =/

It's really strange... I did suspect Mobo was earthing.. but nothing visually looks wrong, and nor does it work ourside of the case.. So thats that idea tried and tested...

Yeah it might be TBH... =/
Better lookup a list of AM2 or AM2+ compatible CPUS for my Mobo...

Anyway, thanks to Mr.DLucey and Theocnoob .. ^_^
Might not of solved the problem, but if I've exhausted all options.. It becomes the replacement game....

TY Again.

My best guess is you have 2 bad power supplies as unlikely as that seams. I would take the psu from the rig you just built and power up the system your fixing to confirm a psu issue or not .

Ok, its suddenly started working.. e.g. power on..

BUT, HD4890 showing the 3 lights on top, showing its dead...
Replaced GPU with a new 4350, and now i dont get anything on any monitor i use.

PC Powers up, seems to boot find, just no video..

Brand new GPU now...

I had something like this happen to me a few weeks ago. I reseated the cpu and it booted up fine. Just double check all the connections.

Sorry for the abismally late reply..

I've reseated the cpu, new heatsink, the lot.. Still get nothing to a monitor.

I've taken the board out, fully checked it, cannot see anything at all wrong with it...
Been in contact with GigaByte, and sent board in for repair, as its still under their 3 year repairs warrenty.

Fingers crossed xD

Back