• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC wont sleep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjkart20

I just did an overclock on my i5-6600k with the asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO board. Ever since I did the overclock my computer wont enter sleep mode. The monitor shuts down and sleeps but the tower won't do it. I can manually enter sleep mode but it won't do it automatically. I started with everything on the default settings in the bios and only changed a few things (see below) is it possible something I changed when overclocking is causing this problem? I tried running command prompt and searching powercfg -requests and nothing comes up. I went into the advanced power setting and under multimedia setting I set it to allow the computer to sleep. I have no clue how to fix this issue and its driving me crazy!!!! Any one have ideas?
Below are the few things I changed in my Bios:
AI Overclock Tuner: XMP
ASUS MultiCore Enhancement: Disabled
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
1-Core Ratio Limit: 46
CPU Load0Line Calibration: Level 6
VRM Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
CPU Core/Cache Cureent Limit Max: 255
Min. CPU Cache Ratio: 8
Max. CPU Cache Ratio: 41
CPU Core/Cache Voltage: Manual Mode
CPU Core Voltage Override: 1.310
CPU VCCIO Voltage: 1.10000
CPU System Agent Voltage: 1.10000

Many of us disable sleep anyway because it is often problematic.

Oh really? That wont cause any issues by just leaving the computer always on and running? Or do most just turn the computer on and off every time they use the computer?

Last edited:
Check your Windows power settings. With an OC you may have to go in and set it to Balanced, then set Sleep, Hibernate, Monitor shut off, etc. manually.
And this^. Jumping from Sleep to full speed ahead can be an iffy proposition. Sometimes you get lucky and it works as designed, and sometimes it sits there and looks at you with a blank monitor until you do a hard reset. I'm not sure if it ever worked right since XP, but Windows 7 was especially problematic. Mine runs 12-15 hours a day with no issues. With the Windows Power set to Balanced it will automatically downclock the CPU when idle, minimizing the stress on everything. I wish it did that for RAM overclocks, but those settings require a reboot.

No, it won't hurt your computer to leave it on all the time. Monitor will go to sleep after about 15 minutes of inactivity but will wake up with a mouse jiggle. I leave my desktops on 24/7 year in and year out. I restart them about once a week to clear memory leaks and to allow Windows updates to finish installing. Yeah, sure. Turn them off if an electrical storm hits your area or something like that but otherwise I advise people just to leave them on and restart weekly. Turning your computer on and off all the time may actually be more of a risk than leaving it on because it will spike a power draw when starting up. Essentially all electronic devices do that.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am just going to leave it as is. Sometimes the sleep works and sometimes it doesn't it's very hit and miss. As long as there are no problems with the PC running all the time I am not worried. Thanks!

So you have been manually putting it to sleep using the Windows start button options?

When I manually put it to sleep it works and stays asleep. But when I don't do that sometimes it automatically sleeps on its own and sometimes it doesn't. Just depends on the day lol.

So when you say you are going to leave it as it is, do you mean you will allow it to go into automatic sleep? I'm a little confused here.

Ok, I realized after rereading this thread that I misunderstood what your problem is. Most people who are having PC sleep problems can't get their machine to wake up from sleep. But your issue is the opposite.

Couple things to check for then:

1. When you leave the PC and it's not going into sleep mode, do you have a browser open to a web page playing streaming video or do you have a DVD movie playing or on pause? Those scenarios will block sleep mode.

2. Do you have a game pad or joy stick plugged into the computer? Some USB game controller devices like that will prevent the initiation of sleep mode. Disconnect them when you are done using them.

Last edited:
So when you say you are going to leave it as it is, do you mean you will allow it to go into automatic sleep? I'm a little confused here.

Ok, I realized after rereading this thread that I misunderstood what your problem is. Most people who are having PC sleep problems can't get their machine to wake up from sleep. But your issue is the opposite.

Couple things to check for then:

1. When you leave the PC and it's not going into sleep mode, do you have a browser open to a web page playing streaming video or do you have a DVD movie playing or on pause? Those scenarios will block sleep mode.

2. Do you have a game pad or joy stick plugged into the computer? Some USB game controller devices like that will prevent the initiation of sleep mode. Disconnect them when you are done using them.

Nothing running in the back ground. I do have a racing wheel plugged in via usb. I have tried disconnecting that and it is still kind of hit and miss on when the PC decides it wants to sleep automatically.

There are parameters both in bios/UEFI and in Windows Control Panel Power Options that impact sleep behavior. Check both areas to make sure they aren't fighting each other.

Hit it with a hammer, it'll go to sleep quick.

Seriously why do people still try to put a pc to sleep is beyond me. What will it save you from power up the pc from sleep vs turning it on via power button? 5-10 seconds?

Well on mine it takes a while: first, I get GTX60 text, then bios checking ram, then all the rest of the POST thingies. Then it goes dark, another couple seconds and windows starts load, then windows glowing thingy lights up then disappears, then 1 second and I'm finally at desktop. So, obviously you can see where the sleep appeal may be. :) Hit the any button on keyboard and instead of all that stuff going on, I get desktop screen in less than 5 sexs.

Well on mine it takes a while: first, I get GTX60 text, then bios checking ram, then all the rest of the POST thingies. Then it goes dark, another couple seconds and windows starts load, then windows glowing thingy lights up then disappears, then 1 second and I'm finally at desktop. So, obviously you can see where the sleep appeal may be. :) Hit the any button on keyboard and instead of all that stuff going on, I get desktop screen in less than 5 sexs.

Taco you have an X58 system, so it's given it'll take a few seconds longer from power up to desktop. Slap an SSD in there and it'll shave off 30 seconds or so.

The OP has a 6600K system ;)

I *do* have an SSD, sir, it's just all this other useless stuff that you can't get around. I can start using PC as soon as it hits desktop. Loading by itself is pretty quick.

I *do* have an SSD, sir, it's just all this other useless stuff that you can't get around. I can start using PC as soon as it hits desktop. Loading by itself is pretty quick.

Oh, nice. Plz don't call me "Sir", I've already served my time in the Navy. Neb is fine, that's what everybody here calls me. I dunno what they call me behind doors tho. :thup:

I use sleep mode all the time because of saving power and fan bearings, also it only takes a second to wake up then everything is open and running just waiting for me.:clap:

Back