• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc4000 support for every mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wth, i am getting a 2.6C mustve been a typo...

ok, so the BH5 is better used ofr dual ddr intel rigs..

i slept on it for a night, and indeed found out id use the dividers for that... ok...

so 2x256mb Kingston BH5 HyperX or if they havent got it, ValueRam...

:) ANYTHING that has BH5 :)

------------------------------------EDIT------------------------------------
woohoo, found a module that actually reads "KHX" on it!

KHX 3000/256
(5638944445-483).A30
1122185 - 2.3V

the things between brackets () are numbers i could not read, but they were numbers...

this would mean --> Kingston HyperX pc3000/256mb

and the A would suggest this was a CH5 module?

btw: they say this module has a cas latency of 2.2 .............. this is NOT possible...

Last edited:
Yeah, that looks promising. The A and non-a were the HyperX 3200, I think there is only one KHX3000. I think that is a safe bet to be BH5s.

woohoo, though 2 things are bothering me
1: the cas latency they say it has, im starting to lose trust...
2: pc3000 = ddr375, since im going to OC a lot, will this be enough with the 2.6c havin a standard fsb of 200, or does the mobo have a good enough multi for it so the ram can handle the speeds? (im rather safe than sorry...)

On the first point it's cas2, you are interpreting the labling wrong.

On the second, I just can't make this any clearer. The numbers DO NOT MATTER. The fact that these modules are BH5 chips is the important thing, not the number attached to them. Because of the superiority of the BH5 chips for this application they will allow more clock speed than the CH5 bearing HyperX3500, even though they have a smaller number attached. HyperX 3000 is reaching well over 400MHz at tight timings on Abit boards, making it the ram of choice.

aha, ok, number 2 now completly solved :)

i did not interpret the lablin wrong...

they ADVERTISE it under cas latency 2.2... maybe this is a typo... but still........ ah well, ill probably then go for that indeed!

so 2x Kingston HyperX pc3000 256mb it will be :)

i can just run that memory 1:1 with fsb when its still at stock 200fsb?

Should be able to. I know it's not rated for DDR400, but if it's good quality RAM, then it'll overclock a bit. For the most part, PC2700, PC3000, and PC3200 is the same. The higher you overclock it, the more vmem voltage you might have to give it and you might have to relax the timings a little.

Jognt said:
so 2x Kingston HyperX pc3000 256mb it will be :)

i can just run that memory 1:1 with fsb when its still at stock 200fsb?

This memory has achieved as much as 460MHz for some users at 1:1 on Abit dual channel boards. 400MHz is a walk in the park, and it will likely allow higher fsb's at 1:1 than any other low latency ram you can buy. This was rather the whole point of the recommendation.

The only types that are doing 1:1 at higher fsb than the HyperX3000 are the most expensive PC3700 and PC4000 types. And they must use slower timings to do so, meaning the realized performance is no greater.

If your cpu is a good one you will be able to advance the fsb far in excess of 200, and at some pont will have to switch to the 5:4 ratio. But you should be able to run the 1:1 ratio all the way up to the 225-230MHz fsb range with this ram. With the 5:4 ratio fsb's in the 290MHz range are possible.

ConquereR said:
This is HyperX BH-5 PC3200 -> KHX3200K2
I just bought mine HERE a few days ago. The BH-5 DOESNT havbe a "A" in the code and has (2-2-2-6-1T) timings.

How can you determine that they have the BH-5 modules? I checked the website and couldn't find any reference to it. Also, how can you determine if any other brand uses BH-5 or whatever? Just when I thought I knew what RAM to get, I find out I had it all wrong.

Thanks.....

Last edited:
larva said:
The A and non-a were the HyperX 3200, I think there is only one KHX3000. I think that is a safe bet to be BH5s.

:)

edit:

does increasing the multi increase or decrease performance?

cuz if i let the ram run at 200mhz, i can use the 5:4 multi to keep it at 200, and when i reach 300fsb (if i can:p) then i can use the 3:2 multi.... to get it at 200mhz again, is this better for performance or am i better of running the ram even faster... ie: 300 mhz with 5:4 divider = ram running @ 240mhz

Last edited:
System design is the art of compromise. It would be preferable to run 1:1 with the memory at 500-600MHz, but ram just can't run this fast without severe compromises in the latency settings at this point. Because of this fact it is perferable to use the 5:4 or 3:2 ratios to slow the ram speed down to a level that it tolerates well, so we can run faster latency timings and produce equivalent performance for a lot less money.

So if you could run the 5:4 ratio instead of the 3:2, you would probably want to. But in your example this would push the memory to 480MHz, and again, it might actually work better to run 3:2 and tighter timings. Each case is an individual, and these are sweeping generalizations we are making, but until ram quality improves using the ratios other than 1:1 to slow the ram to acceptable levels with the advantage of tighter timings is a valid approach.

Back