• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIEx pins are missing on PCIEx slots!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ED, I appreciate the help my friend. But I think I'm going to be another case of giving up on CrossFire/SLI. I stuck a delta tri blade fan powered by an external 12volt power supply right on the GPU's and Intel Z68 chip with the heat sink and it ran fine. But that's not practical for me. My case has a huge 5 inch radius fan on the door but apparently that's not enough to cool the GPU's and chip set. I'm back to a single GPU and no headaches.

Sorry to hear that it will not work properly LegolasElf, but at least you have a answer to the Crossfire question now! Maybe a Mobo change later on would help to sort out the problem there best regards. AJ.

Could this have anything to do with it? Pic is as screen grab from Asus' specification page on the board:

P8Z68-V%20Pro.png

Having 1/2 of the pins missing in the second PCI-E slot makes sense if you think about the total amount of PCIE lanes the Z68 chipset has:

Z68diag.png

The 3rd slot is made possible with some silliness with sharing resource with other things which is kindof weird, but aside from that it may just be a compatibility issue with the cards running in x8 mode in certain slots.

Sorry to hear that it will not work properly LegolasElf, but at least you have a answer to the Crossfire question now! Maybe a Mobo change later on would help to sort out the problem there best regards. AJ.

Could this have anything to do with it? Pic is as screen grab from Asus' specification page on the board:

P8Z68-V%20Pro.png

Having 1/2 of the pins missing in the second PCI-E slot makes sense if you think about the total amount of PCIE lanes the Z68 chipset has:

Z68diag.png

The 3rd slot is made possible with some silliness with sharing resource with other things which is kindof weird, but aside from that it may just be a compatibility issue with the cards running in x8 mode in certain slots.

Yeah you're right. Im a noob, my mobo is fine. I think my issue is driver related. I just don't have the time to sit there and go through 10 releases of Catalyst until I find a working set. I'm seeing a lot on forums that CrossFire is very driver sensitive.

I'm not sure if this might be a contributing factor but I am using two 10ft DisplayPort to Mini DP cables for two of my monitors and 1 short DVI cable for my third monitor.

The next thing I will try is to see if CrossFire + EyeFinity is causing the problem by running CrossFire on a single monitor.

do the monitors accept dp inputs or are there adapters? if so are they active?

No need to RMA it. Your board only has 1x PCIE 3.0 x16 slot. Others are all x8. Remember x8 PCIE 3.0 mean x16 PCIE 2.0. Don't worry all boards come like that now. My Maximus V Formula came like that. There's no way missing PCIE pins got passed QC.

No need to RMA it. Your board only has 1x PCIE 3.0 x16 slot. Others are all x8. Remember x8 PCIE 3.0 mean x16 PCIE 2.0. Don't worry all boards come like that now. My Maximus V Formula came like that. There's no way missing PCIE pins got passed QC.
...we resolved that within the first couple minutes of this thread. :grouphug:

So your trying to run eyefinity? Are you using an active adapter? Not that it matters much in this case.

If you got picture on all screens, then your good. What does GPUZ say about the cards?

I have before used molex that gave issues, and wrong readings on the second card.

I RMAed the mobo, they found a bad PCIe slot. I the mean time I built a new 3770k system with a Maximus V Formula mobo and same GPUs. Runs olid and proves that it was the mobo.

Yeah i said that in post 2 and got my head chewed off by everyone well good news for you LegolasElf enjoy your set my friend. AJ.

Yeah gut instinct you might say lol!

Way to get lucky ajay. Though you were saying, at least how I took it, in response to the missing pins. Pins weren't the issue as that is normal. ;)

Due diligence needs to be done before an rma.

You were right for the wrong reasons, lol!

Back