• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier on Northbridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tio

I'm just wondering if any of you are doing this. If you are, what size of TEC are you using?

Thanks.

Well that's what I thought, but I've been doing a lot of testing over the past three days and I've been able to confirm that my northbridge cooling is what's holding me back. The problem is, I'm using the Swiftech MCX 159-P heatsink to cool it, which is pretty much the best commercially available HSF for N/B cooling.

I suppose I could cool it with liquid, but I'm skeptical as to how much of an improvement I would really see.

I've seen a few people over at xtreme systems say they're cooling their N/B with TECs, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with it...

I'll let ya know in about a week. I'll be using a 60w 30*30mm pelt watercooled. watercooling alone got me about 10 extra mhz of fsb room.

You gonna more than likely have to go with water anyways if you wanna tec. Apparently, that is about the only way to get enough heat away from the hot side to make it worthwhile.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24520&highlight=fsb*

Now............The MAX fsb Word Record has been "broken".........

ALL these are ON AIR on Northbridge with a Thermaltake Tiger heatsink........

ic7_maxfsb_400mhz_single_full_png.png

-thats an air cooled northbridge guys

The ONLY problem now is: DOES set-fsb goes higher than clock-gen coz I'm "finished" if it doesn't.......
lol

Last edited:
Ok, but for those of us who weren't born with a soldering iron in hand, it can be easier to just cool the crap out of things. :D

No, but seriously, I've got an ASUS board. If there was a guide like that for modding my board, I'd definitely be trying some of that stuff out.

Great link btw!

snvpa said:
I'll let ya know in about a week. I'll be using a 60w 30*30mm pelt watercooled. watercooling alone got me about 10 extra mhz of fsb room.

snvpa, where did you get the 60w TEC at? Is the 60w a 12v tec? I want to put one on my NB.

One of the members was selling it in the classifieds. I've had so much difficulty finding one and this was exactly what I needed. I'm guessing it probably won't help much if at all but it wont hurt either.

Krag, hahahaha, I was selling the TEC, rememer, lol, it was the other one. Ah this is funny. But anyway, if I raise my FSB over 211, I get lock ups when it does Seti overnight. Would one consider this a voltage or a cooling problem (stock cooling @1.7v). I hope to put the Vdd mod back on (it came with it, grabber style, yeee yee). I should probably go NB wcing huh :( I don't wanna take out my mobo.

nicspits said:
Krag, hahahaha, I was selling the TEC, rememer, lol, it was the other one. Ah this is funny. But anyway, if I raise my FSB over 211, I get lock ups when it does Seti overnight. Would one consider this a voltage or a cooling problem (stock cooling @1.7v). I hope to put the Vdd mod back on (it came with it, grabber style, yeee yee). I should probably go NB wcing huh :( I don't wanna take out my mobo.

Nope, sorry doesnt' ring a bell......HHaaaaaaaaaaa!

What are talking about bro? I dont' remeber any other TEC, the only one I remeber is the 80w TEc that I got from you the other day.

Where did you get a 60w 30mx30m TEC at? I would like to know. :)

Ohhh, that's right. Yeah, that was a totally different listing. I cleaned out more stuff to put up and it was in the cooing section. Sorry man.

I got it a long time ago off of ebay, it was somewhere around 60 watts, it was quite a while ago. But I used it for a while on a GeForce3 and backside insulation was definately necessary so I imagine it pulls off enough to keep any of todays gpus nice and frigid. or maybe it's one that i got out of one of those mini fridges. Hmm, I really can't remember where I originally got it, but it has the model number and such on it, the dude can look it up when it arrives if you guys know what company does that. I have no clue.

Last edited:
Yeah i'll let everyone know the specs, once it gets here prolly early next week. Judging by the description I'm gonna guess its an older version from marlow industries. I'll post back once I get it.

Back