• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 2.4c/2.6c vs. 2500 mobile.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is HIGHLY inaccurate of you to say that Performance of an A64 @ 2.2 = Barton @ 2.8/2.9; I can get 21k just off of 2.5Ghz....

So...is it settle?

I do believe that from the pure benchmark side of things, the P4, with its long pipeline architecture, does better in the video encoding type applications (with continuous data streams) where the increased bandwidth of the quad-pumped system gets to shine and the AMD mobile, on an nForce2 mobo (critical for max AMD performance), will do better in those applications, including games, where there is more of a "start & stop" type of data source.

And right now, the A64's are the better gamers.

But in my opinion, and I have both AMD and Intel, they are both DAMN GOOD! If you guys have been around for any time, you would know just how good both of these platforms are compared to even just a couple of years ago, not to mention back in the dark ages.

Either way you go, you're going to get a fine rig.

jman999 said:
EDIT: I guess by a heck of a lot faster I mean, will there be a very noticeable boost in gaming.

How much does a good HSF cost, that will allow the Pentium 4 to be seriously oc'ed?

If done properly with all the right components, the P-4 (like a 3.0C overclocked to 3.75 gig or something like that), will definitely outperform the AMD mobile 2500+. You need to move up to the AMD A64 before you can have a chance to edge ahead of Intel in gaming. The debate would be... is it really noticeable? If you have a tight budget and went with the AMD and then bought the best video card you could afford with the cash you saved, then I don't think you'd give up much noticeable gaming performance.

As for a good heatsink that will handle serious overclocking, check out this link. I have one of these babies and it's great. It's big, it's copper, it will allow 60mm, 80mm, and 92mm fans to be used... plus it will fit both Imtel and AMD. I use a 92mm fan to move a lot of air without it being super noisy.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-112&depa=1

deception`` said:
It is HIGHLY inaccurate of you to say that Performance of an A64 @ 2.2 = Barton @ 2.8/2.9; I can get 21k just off of 2.5Ghz....
I can get 22k at stock(2.0GHz) with the video card oc'ed some.

It still is debatable how much of a difference you'd notice between a mobile barton, a P4 and an A64.

if theyre clocked evenly, yes, they fall behind, but i doubt if it is as much as 20%

Its all about Mhz....if you catch a lucky 2500m+ that will do 2.7Ghz or a 3.0C doing 4.5Ghz....youre settled

I suck at oc'ing. I never got around to oc'ing my desktop barton, nd the CPU Diode temp is currently 58C. So I think Athlon 2800 would be a good choice, because it'll be faster than the other two at stock speeds.

This is how I feel.

Pentiums C core > AMD Bartons
A64 > Pentiums C core

I think everyone admits that the A64 is the best CPU for gaming (gaming only); however, they suck at overclocking due to the lack of good mobo.

See my sig, and I owned an AMD. Personally, I still think that the o/c pentium 4 is faster than my rig.

This is not flaming, just a personal opinion.

Video card is still way much more an important factor in gaming than CPU.

A 1.8Ghz A core with an ATI 9800 pro will do way much better than a 3.9Ghz C core with a TI-4200 Vid card.

Kenshiro said:
Pentiums C core > AMD Bartons
A64 > Pentiums C core

How can you even compare A64 to P4C?? :rolleyes:

Kenshiro said:
I think everyone admits that the A64 is the best CPU for gaming (gaming only); however, they suck at overclocking due to the lack of good mobo.

I seriously don't. The best is P4EE, and it was built for gaming right from the start!!!
Kenshiro said:
A 1.8Ghz A core with an ATI 9800 pro will do way much better than a 3.9Ghz C core with a TI-4200 Vid card.

Duh!!! That's because 1.8Ghz is more than sufficient for all games out there now. Try a P2-400mhz with your 9800 Pro and then tell me if its better than the 3.9Ghz with TI-4200 !! :bang head

Last edited:
I don't know its been mentioned, but the P4C has hyperthreading. Take that into account too. My 2.4C is at 3.1ghz at the moment cuz things are heating up in the summer. But usually I can hit 3.2ghz with corsair value select. Could push it more probably with better ram. Not to mention, the bus speed after oc'ing the P4 will be wayy faster than that of the AMD.

goon said:
Duh!!! That's because 1.8Ghz is more than sufficient for all games out there now. Try a P2-400mhz with your 9800 Pro and then tell me if its better than the 3.9Ghz with TI-4200 !! :bang head

He was pointing out the importance of a video card for gaming. that it relies mostly on the video card, and not the CPU(unless that teeny bit less load time is so important).

Edit: Sorry, just reread that... your saying its enough too! so we all agree, screw the processor, buy a good vid card! :D

Last edited:
basically, i personally would go with a 2500+, i currently have a AMD XP-M 2500+ and a 2.4C processor, and a 2400mhz AMD XP processor is about just as good as a 3.2ghz P4 processor.. and its cheaper.

and if you get the AMD XP processor to 2600mhz, then thats probably as fast as a 3.4ghz p4

Last edited:
Ian Cody said:
Edit: Sorry, just reread that... your saying its enough too! so we all agree, screw the processor, buy a good vid card! :D

No, that's not what I meant. I was trying to tell this Kenshirto that BOTH CPU & Video card (GPU) plays a factor. What he proclaimed "Video card is still way much more an important factor in gaming than CPU" is all BS !!!! He doesn't know what he is talking about. :-/

My home pc is a PIII 500 with a Radeon 7500, I know for a fact that the processor is my bottleneck, because it hangs on high-cpu power games (Everquest). But can do a decent job on old gen 3D Gaming (Counterstrike, Halflife). Its a far cry to say that gaming is based only on your GPU power.

goon said:
No, that's not what I meant. I was trying to tell this Kenshirto that BOTH CPU & Video card (GPU) plays a factor. What he proclaimed "Video card is still way much more an important factor in gaming than CPU" is all BS !!!! He doesn't know what he is talking about. :-/
Goon, please take a gander at the rules, and abide by them. Else, your stay here might not last too long. Very nice system, btw. :thup:

Last edited:
goon said:
How can you even compare A64 to P4C?? :rolleyes:

I seriously don't. The best is P4EE, and it was built for gaming right from the start!!!

Question here is why can't I compare A64 to the P4C? Someone is asking for an answer and i give my opinion.

I have to disagree that P4EE is the fastest gaming CPU right now. Check both articles below.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040419/index.html

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1554111,00.asp

AMD's are better for gamings, while Pentiums are better for multi-tasking and video encoding.

As for the video card, its information for people who don't have much knowledge in computer gaming.

I can see that you are new here. For your information, unlike the forum in Tomshardware.com, flaming is not allow here. If you have your opinion, feel free to express it. But it is totally unnecessary to insult other people's opinion. Just giving you a warning. If you continue to keep that flaming attitude up and the forum master will ban you.

goon said:

I was just stressing the importance of a video card. I do agree that both processor and video card are important factor. However, please take note that not everyone has a hugh budget for computers and can afford top of the line components for both CPU and video card. The CPU you own is $1000. A lot of people don't have the kind of budget like you do.

My opinion is to show that if they have to choose between CPU and Video card, they should get a better video card. I never said to put a 9800pro into a pentium 2. Please, don't put your words into my mouth.

If you look at the articles comparing the CPUs in gaming, the FPS is only a few FPS difference. The article also indicated that they have to benchmark the CPU's at low resolution, otherwise, the videocard will kick in and run. Please don't take examples too literally.

Scary_Penguin said:
My home pc is a PIII 500 with a Radeon 7500, I know for a fact that the processor is my bottleneck, because it hangs on high-cpu power games (Everquest). But can do a decent job on old gen 3D Gaming (Counterstrike, Halflife). Its a far cry to say that gaming is based only on your GPU power.

Yup, I totally agree with you!! :thup:

Back